MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chem 2E03 antirequisite of Chem 2OA3? Mr.Prodigy Academics 22 12-04-2010 07:32 PM

CHEM 2E03 or (2OA3 and 2OB3 in summer)? [CHEM ENG]

Old 04-16-2012 at 03:03 PM   #1
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

CHEM 2E03 or (2OA3 and 2OB3 in summer)? [CHEM ENG]
Hey guys this is to anyone in upper year chem eng:

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get rid of both organic chem courses (2OA3 & 2OB3) in the summer, and only have to worry about one chem eng course i.e. CHEM ENG 3Q03 or CHEM 3I03during regular school?

Or would it be better to take CHEM 2E03 and both CHEM ENG 3Q03 and CHEM 3I03? What are the marks typically like for both CHEM ENG 3Q03, CHEM 3I03 and how hard are they?

I would greatly appreciate your advice.
Thank you
Old 04-16-2012 at 03:31 PM   #2
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

Not in chem eng. So I apologize for commenting. I have friends who are in Chem Bio and Molecular Bio (both hard programs) who have taken both of those orgo course. If you have the chance. I recommend taking the orgo courses to get them out of the way. My friends believe orgo chems to be some of the more challenging courses. The courses are more condense in the summer but at the very least you dont have to worry about 3 or 4 other courses so you have all the time to focus on orgo.

But to be honest. It really depends on you. If you are a student with amazing grades then you dont need to do all of that in the summer. Its up to you. My friend got an 11 and the other got a 9 for studying two days before his orgo exam. Enjoy the summer or lighten the load and possibly coming out with 12s in both orgo in the summer.

jon.john23 says thanks to lgdynasty for this post.
Old 04-16-2012 at 04:40 PM   #3
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Im in elec and bio and my dilema is more of taking chem 2oa3 or chem 2e03 which is a mix of oa and ob. Some say it is easier but i dont know if i could handle chem on top of everything next year.

This year it seems for 2e03 we only have to take 2oa3 not both for 2e03 credit. if it was both i would just take 2e03
Old 04-16-2012 at 04:54 PM   #4
BlueMorphan

Liked: 14 Times

I took 2E03. I'm pretty sure both 3Q and 3I are easier than orgo. I've never taken 3I, but the prof for 3Q is awesome (Dr. Cranston)

jon.john23 says thanks to BlueMorphan for this post.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 04-16-2012 at 06:44 PM   #5
jana

Liked: 0 Times

hey,

I took chem 2oa3 and 2ob3 in summer, and took 3Q and 3I during the school year. If you like organic chem and don't mind labs i suggest taking it instead of chem 2e03. And if you wanted to lighten your load, it would be better to do it in summer. Iits easier to focus on during the summer as well, you don't have to worry about other courses and you could probably ace them. I found the labs pretty fun

3Q and 3I are good courses (not too hard and not too easy) but it helps having some orgo background for them but its ok if you don't too. Taking the orgos and these courses together won't be much of a problem, i reckon. But if you are doing other 3rd year courses like Chem eng 3G, 3E, 3P, 3K etc, it definitely gonna get tough.

hope that helps and Good luck!

jon.john23 says thanks to jana for this post.
Old 04-16-2012 at 08:48 PM   #6
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Remember that you will be in orgo with all the life/health sci keeners who want to get into medical school. It won't exactly be "easy" 12s without you working as hard as them to get the 12s. This is for normal orgo.

Chem 2e03 I'm sure not that many premeds take and it'll also be easier overall. Good luck with your decision!

jon.john23 says thanks to muons for this post.
Old 04-17-2012 at 12:27 PM   #7
unclekraker

Liked: 2 Times

Keep in mind that although you'll have less courses to deal with, you'll likely have other things that will take time out of your day. I took some summer courses last year and i found it wasnt really an advantage. Its tough to find motivation to study after working all day (or night), especially when you have beautiful summer weather!
Old 04-17-2012 at 06:10 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

...TAKE AT LEAST ONE.

Trust... orgo isn't hard, its just really annoying to have to deal with on top of other courses, (in my experience), if you're not super good with chemistry, it sucks, especially if you happen not to get a super prof...
Old 04-17-2012 at 07:29 PM   #9
Disney

Liked: 2 Times

I've heard that the two orgos are really good, but a lot more challenging (so it would be a good decision to get those done in the summer), whereas 2E is pretty easy and is not too work intensive (so taking it with 3Q and 3I in the year should be fine).
3Q is a good course with Dr. Cransten, she makes everything really fair so if you know what is covered in class notes then there is not much else to do. 3I is just a different approach so its a bit more difficult figuring out what you need to know. Neither of these classes is particularly time consuming in terms of assignments/projects etc.
Like Jana said though, if you are considering other classes like 3G, 3P, 3E it is definitely going to be a rough year with 2OA3 and 2OB3 in it:p If you like orgo though, I'm sure it's doable!

jon.john23 says thanks to Disney for this post.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 04-19-2012 at 10:19 AM   #10
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Thank you all for ur replies

alot to think about ... I might prolly end up doing Orgo in summer skool