Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chem 2OB3 kenneth526 2nd Year Course Reviews 22 08-23-2017 04:36 PM

Chem 2OB3 advice please?

Old 06-26-2009 at 02:58 PM   #1
denisa002

Liked: 3 Times

Chem 2OB3 advice please?
Hi there!

I'll be starting second year this Fall in the Honours Biology (Physio Specialization) program. Since both - Chem 2OA3 and Chem 2OB3 - are required for this program, I'm wondering if it's necessary that Chem 2OB3 be completed by the end of second year. I intend to take it in summer school next year, and want to make sure that this won't affect my course registration for third year (i.e. If Chem 2OA3 and 2OB3 are prerequisites for a 3rd year course, will I be able to register for said course, even though Chem 2OB3 is offered in the second summer school term, and registration would likely take place BEFORE the second term is complete?).

Hopefully I'm making myself clear with this question . I've emailed the academic advisors (including Dr. O'Donnell - advisor for this program) numerous times and haven't received a reply yet.

I would appreciate any help/advice! Thanks
Old 06-26-2009 at 03:26 PM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I would recommend that you finish it in second year, because you need to have completed both in order to take the mandatory Biochem 3G03.

However, I think it wouldn't be a problem either to take it during the summer. It would affect your registration for that particular course (3G03) though, because you would not have finished Chem 2OB3 before you register. I think you could get it waived if you tell them you are going to complete it by the time you take Biochem 3G03..?
Old 06-26-2009 at 04:05 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Yay, physiology *high fives*.

Since you're required to take Biochem 3G03 in third year, you'll definitely have a spot in the course next year. That said, after registering for 2OB3 in the spring session contact the faculty of science for a waiver. Ass long as you've done well in 2OA3, they won't have a problem with it.
Old 06-28-2009 at 02:46 PM   #4
denisa002

Hey guys, thanks a lot for getting back to me; I really appreciate it!

How does the waiver work though? And would it depend on my Chem 2OA3 marks? I don't want to risk not being able to take Biochem 3G03 in third year, however, I've also heard that Chem 2OB3 is brutal during the school year, which is why I wanted to take it in the summer.

Appreciate your help and I don't know many people in Biophysio, so I'm grateful for your help!
Old 06-28-2009 at 03:07 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

The waiver allows you to register for a course even though you don't have a credit in the prerequisite course by the time registration starts. You'll be guaranteed a spot in Biochem 3G03, even though it's pretty popular, just because it's required for your program. Getting a waiver won't depend on your 2OA3 mark, but if you do well it increases the likelihood of getting a waiver for 3G03 because it shows that you're likely to do well in 2OB3 as well.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2009 at 07:11 PM   #6
denisa002

Beautiful, thanks a lot Jesus!

Would I have to go through the whole waiver procedure through MUGSI or would I have to see someone about it?
Old 06-28-2009 at 07:32 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

I would contact the science department ([email protected]) or go to their drop-in academic counselling session. I'd probably wait until the office is less busy with registrations : )
Old 06-28-2009 at 07:34 PM   #8
akhtaa2

Liked: 5 Times

Hey Denisa;

I was in the same boat as you.

I took the first Orgo during the school year and the second one I am currently completing in summer school.

As far as if you can use the 2nd one as a pre-requisite, you can. I already applied and got in Biochem 3G03 and I have not finished the 2nd one. I think the only way it matters is that if you fail the orgo in summer school you will be kicked out of the class you need the pre-req for.

Hope that was easy to understand!
Old 06-28-2009 at 10:23 PM   #9
denisa002

Hey akhtaa2, good to know there's someone else going this route...

I was feeling more confident about taking Chem 2OB3 in summer school after all your messages, however, I just received this email from Dr. O'Donnell (advisor for this program):

I don't recommend taking the Chem 20B3 course in the summer-- it may lead to problems with courses such as Biochem 3G03.

I would have immediately registered for Chem 2OB3, except that it clashes with my elective, French, and alternate electives that could substitute for French are now full. I'm really really not sure what to do now. I don't want to have to repeat a year. Are you guys absolutely sure this waiver will work? I'm sorry to second-guess you all, but I really need to be sure that this won't cause problems later on.

Thank you for your help/advice!