MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Chem 2OB3 during the school year after taking 2OA3 during the summer... oranges Academics 4 08-17-2011 07:47 PM

Chem 2OB3 in third year?

Old 07-18-2012 at 01:41 PM   #1
remo12

Liked: 0 Times

Chem 2OB3 in third year?
Is it a bad idea to take orgo 2 in third year as opposed to second? I plan on taking the first orgo in my second year, however I want to lighten up the load and take orgo 2 in third year. I looked at upper year courses and I noted that most upper year courses don't have chem 2OB3 as a prereq anyway (except 3rd year chem courses which I'm not interested in anyway). Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2012 at 01:49 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo12 View Post
Is it a bad idea to take orgo 2 in third year as opposed to second? I plan on taking the first orgo in my second year, however I want to lighten up the load and take orgo 2 in third year. I looked at upper year courses and I noted that most upper year courses don't have chem 2OB3 as a prereq anyway (except 3rd year chem courses which I'm not interested in anyway). Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Depends on your program. If you are in the program I was in (Mol Bio & Genetics) then I would say no. Third year was definitely way more intense in second term with the 3V03 course.
Old 07-18-2012 at 01:55 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

The two Orgo's go together. I recommend you take both together, either in summer school or 2nd year. If you're not comfortable with the material from 2OA3, being away from it too long will not help for 2OB3. Even if you understand 2OA3 really well, you still want 2OB3 right after because the material builds on everything. And I assure you, even if you do really well at the first one, you'll forget the little tricks etc that made practice problems/tests/exams much easier to do and you'll waste time recalling it in 2OB3 as most profs teach it assuming you've just taken the first one right before it.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

TheCrucible likes this.
Old 07-18-2012 at 01:58 PM   #4
remo12

I'm actually going into Honours Life Science so I'm assuming it would be okay because there aren't many required courses for 3rd and 4th year. Also just out of curiousity, have you witnessed a lot people doing this or is it pretty rare?
Old 07-18-2012 at 02:04 PM   #5
remo12

I don't mind taking both in second year, it's just that my second term has a really heavy workload but I'll reconsider. Thanks to both replies!
Old 07-18-2012 at 06:13 PM   #6
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

It's really not that heavy of a course load... especially compared to some third year courses....
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences