Chem 2R03 Eva C 2nd Year Course Reviews 2 06-14-2011 11:25 AM
Music 2ii3/cmst 2r03 khang_is Academics 0 01-04-2010 01:33 PM
Soc Sci 2P03 vs. Soc Sci 2R03 b_sunshine55 Academics 0 12-29-2009 01:20 AM

Chem 2R03 vs chemP03

Old 06-04-2010 at 01:01 PM   #1
Karen_ng03

Liked: 0 Times

Chem 2R03 vs chemP03
I got accepted into Honors biochemistry-biomed program, and it is required as a second year to take 3 credits of either chem 2RO3 or chem 2p03.

In terms of difficulty. Which one should be a better choice for a higher mark? Which course was more fair?
Old 06-04-2010 at 02:46 PM   #2
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

Chem 2R03 isn't offered anymore, only chem bio 2P03 is, so when you choose, you will only be able to choose chem bio 2p03.
Old 06-04-2010 at 04:58 PM   #3
Karen_ng03

Thank you for your reply. I have a few more Questions about the biochemistry-biomed in general.

I see that you are in your third year of biochem-biomed program. In terms of difficulty and how are your averages compared to other programs? Did your mark drop or about stayed the same from first year? Or maybe it went up haha~~ Would it be harder to make it onto the provast list in a biochemistry program? I did not apply for Honors Life Science, but recently, many people are choosing it. I am sure I will be able to request for it if indeed I want to. I heard about the 7 electives that Honors Life Science program enables, which gives them an edge to get a higher GPA. Would you recommend this program if my goal is to get maintain a high GPA? I would ask if Health Science is a good choice too. However, there are many bias amongst this saying that this program is easier and all- which I would not like to beleive so because I think it really is just hardworking--with the help that they have more care from their faculty and, I see many Health Science students who gets C's......so really it really shouldn't be about their program is easier--the students enrolled were smart to begin it.... Haha, but comment about that option too if you like.

But I would like to hear your comments between Honors Life Science vs biochem instead as I think I know what kind of program Health Science is--from my friends, and so I would value more on your input between the choice of Honors Life Science vs.biochem-biomed....
Thanks so much

Actually, I also have an offer from another school- York Biomed program with an X sum amount of scholarship award I applied. In terms of difficulty, for some reason their biomed program is only 4 years, and does not have any chemistry other than orgo- which I am auditing already and planning to take in regular class time. Would York allow me higher chance in maintaining a high GPA? I do not want to risk anything I know I will try hard anywhere, but I would hate it if i get a mark that is unreasonable (I didn't quite like one of my bio 1mo3 profs in one of their test setups >.>)

Is it worth it to stay at McMaster for biomed program--do you find it interesting or is everything very dry (remember and regurgitate?), do you find yourself having a higher quality of learning compared to other programs etc? How do you find it in general, and what electives would you recommend?

Um, this might be so weird and random..but on a sidenote is it possible to change my username? Actually this last question is most important.......pleas e tell me to how to change this soon- i actually just had a friend who said she saw this post >.> WOW she really does fit into health science..what a keener to stalk on macinsiders........

Last edited by Karen_ng03 : 06-04-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2010
Karen_ng03
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-05-2010 at 01:23 PM   #4
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

I can definitely give you my views on both biochem biomed spec. and hns. life sci. Biochem biomed spec. is a pretty awesome program, IF you are interested in learning that kinda stuff. Some advantages of the program are that you get to take courses that go into detail about certain topics, for example, only biochem, chem bio and molecular bio students (and some health scis) can take biochem 2b03 and 2bb3. Biochem 2B03 is Nucleic Acid structure and function, and 2BB3 is Protein structure and Enzyme function, and both courses teach you not only the basics of biochem, but also about current research in the fields. In coodination with these two courses is the lab course Biochem 2L06, and although that course is very time consuming, it gives you invaluable lab experience and is closely related with the two biochem courses. For example, you'll be learning about PCR in 2B03 and then actually doing a PCR reaction in the lab course, so it's really tied together. On the other hand, if you were in Life sci, you would have to take biochem 2ee3 (aka life sci 2ee3) which is basically a compressed version of 2b03, 2bb3 and two third year biochem courses. It skims over the material and it's midterms (as I've heard) are mostly regurgitation.

Other courses in second year biochem are orgo I and II, phys.chem, and genetics/cell bio. When you look at what you have to take, it seems very overwhelming, but it is do-able, lol. My average slipped a bit, but not by a whole lot. It's still possible to make the Dean's Honour List, so if that's good enough for you, then marks shouldn't be a problem. Overall, I would say the toughest thing about second year was the lab course, in the sense that it took up a shitload of time, but then again, I did procrastinate alot for that course, LOL. Despite that, I can say it was still helpful and useful, especially if you plan to go into research. 2L06 helps you both in and out of the lab, in that it teaches you how to write proper lab reports, papers, journal entries, etc. It is possible to get a 10 or higher in that class, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Life sci on the other hand is very undisciplined, if you know what I mean. You take a variety of courses from different departments, and there is no one discipline (e.g. bio, chem, psych, etc.). I took one life sci course, as my elective, and I found that most of the students in the program still had no idea of what they wanted to do in the future. They were in the program because they either didn't get accepted into the program they wanted, or because they had no idea of what they wanted to do, so they joined life sci, cuz it was so general. On the other hand, in biochem, you're with a bunch of kids who actually did well in first year and have at least some vision of what they are planning to do for the future. Not to say that kids in life sci are idiots or anything, but my view is that life sci is for students who are still confused about what they want to do.

On the york issue, you came to mac for first year, how did you find it? I think Mac first year is wayy better than York. Mac first year Life sci is general, and then from second year you are allowed to choose where you wanna specialize, and get to take alot of program exclusive courses. Biochem at mac is hands down, THE best second year choice. I think it definitely has a higher quality of learning compared to other programs and for all the reasons I've outlined above, it is an excellent program if you are genuinely interested in learning about biochemistry. For second year, all three biochem majors, Biochem core, Biochem Biomed spec. and Biochem Biotech spec. are the same (i.e. everyone takes the same courses). In third year they start to branch, with core offering the most electives (5-6) and biomed and biotech having specialization-exclusive courses. If you want to major in biochem but still minor in something else, biochem core allows you to do that.If on the other hand you are planning for research, either of the specializations are appropriate, depending on your interests. On top of that, if you are in one of the specializations, you can enhance your program with co-op.

As you may have noticed, I haven't really addressed your concern about marks all that much, but that is because I believe that you shouldn't be afraid of not doing well in courses. Sure, life sci gives you 7 electives, but what if you slack off in those courses, you could as easily do crap in all of them and lower your GPA. So I suggest, choose a program that you like, something that interests you, and as long as you work hard, and manage your time properly, you can still maintain a good average.

As for your last issue, I'm not sure. Maybe check on "My settings" on the top left hand side of the page??

Hope that helps
Old 06-07-2010 at 11:10 PM   #5
Karen_ng03

omg...you need points to change the username? That is so unfair.....its like no privacy......http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...profil e+name

Thanks for your imputs. I will greatly take them into account.
Old 06-07-2010 at 11:12 PM   #6
Karen_ng03

Actually, how do you delete a thread?