MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Chem 3oa3 caludujf Academics 1 08-09-2011 04:58 PM
Should I have Chembio 3OA3 and Biochem 3P03 Labs on the same day??? biochemer Academics 7 08-09-2010 05:03 PM
Chem 3OA3 ebfrancis Academics 5 06-13-2010 11:54 AM
Help for CHEM 3OA3 and CHEM 3PA3 jjuaristi Academics 0 10-20-2009 11:33 AM

Chem 3OA3

Chem 3OA3
Organic Synthesis with Dr. Chirality-NcNulty
Published by FoodChemist
08-09-2011
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 85%
Chem 3OA3

The Course - super summary:

This course is basically filling up your chemistry toolbox. You will learn a whole bunch of different organic reactions based on discoveries in the past up to the present. You will learn the importance of chemical selectivity and specificity as well as meeting a new [email protected]#$% call chirality. It is a lot of memorizing the reagents and conditions as well as predicting where a particular reaction would occur, if it does occur. Retro synthesis is a useful thing to be familiar with along with all the chemical reactions taught in Chem 2OA3/2OB3. With almost every reaction there is some sort of catalyst and the behaviour of the particular catalyst within the solution/reaction conditions may shift the equilibrium to favour a particular outcome more than the other (i.e. R or S chirality, or E/Z isomers).

The course is broken down into three major parts. 1) Review, focusing mainly on the importance of chirality, catalysts, and all the organic chemistry theories from Chem 2OA3/2OB3. 2) Functional group manipulation, focusing on reduction, oxidation, protecting groups using addition, elimination, substitution methods throwing in a bit of inorganic metals as catalyst reagents. 3) Carbon-carbon bond forming reactions, focusing on observing carbocations/carbanions, adol and its derivatives (the evil relatives), alkylation, acylation, conjugate addition, and cycloadditions.

It may sound all scary but most of it is based on what you have (or should have) learnt in Chem 2OA3/2OB3. If you are not in honours chem, or have not taken some of their inorganic 2nd year courses you may have a bit of trouble understanding the orbital patterns that drive reactions such as in the cycloaddition chapter. But in the end, good knowledge of all the content in Chem 2OA3/2OB3 is crucial because if the cart moves quite fast and is not easy to catch if you've fallen off. I'm not sure what they teach in Chem 2D03 but as a chem bio student, I was fine with just going in with 2OA3 and 2OB3 knowledge.

The Course - components and prof:

There are 2 assignments and 2 tests, no labs or tutorials. Dr. McNulty does everything on the chalkboard as his "chalk-talk" so be sure to bring your good glasses and a cup of coffee because he draws organic compounds faster than the eye can blink. I find he doesn't really like to spend too much time answering questions or repeating things during lecture but he's more than welcome to answer them during his office hours.

The Blah:

To succeed in this course I recommend you attend all classes because he often provides useful or important tips as he's "chalk-talking" that is not on the lecture notes. Making a good-copy or small study cards can be extremely helpful in remembering the many reactions, reagents, and conditions. The assignments (2) are generally harder than the tests (2), the latter takes place inclass. The exam is something you may want to drop everything, isolate yourself and study your brains out for. The course overall is VERY content rich, but not overly difficult as long as you ask if you're stuck. Easy to score 10 or higher.

caludujf likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Chem 3OA3!

Old 08-09-2011 at 05:01 PM   #2
FoodChemist

Liked: 2 Times
I forgot to mention.... I don't remember the mark breakdown because Dr. McNulty made a change to the course outline and wrote the new outline on the blackboard. I don't have my notes with me so I can't check.
Old 08-13-2011 at 12:23 AM   #3
caludujf

Liked: 0 Times
Hey Chih, great review! I just got a few questions that i would like for you or anyone else to answer.

Since there aren't any tutorials for this course, did McNaulty post practice questions other than from the textbook? I took orgo over the summer with Dr.Teri and realized my success in her class was due to the abundant amount of past tutorials, assignments and midterms she made available to her class.

How did the majority of students in your class find this course? Struggled to keep up?

Is the textbook worth buying?
Old 09-02-2011 at 12:48 PM   #4
FoodChemist

Liked: 2 Times
The textbook is totally optional, it contains all of the basic concepts found in 2nd year orgo (both of them) but more in an indepth view. There are several textbooks Dr. McNulty will refer to on the first day of class, they're all on reserve at thode. He doesn't use any of them in his lectures and tells us to use them as reference if needed. I got the pdf version of one of the textbooks and only used it a few times to look up a few reactions and the theory behind why they react in the specific way shown in class. Other than that, I used it more for my other courses than for this one. I think there's a copy of it on reserve at thode.

McNulty basically talks... his brain is like a library, everything you need to know is in his notes (he scans the original handwritten ones and posts them). I don't think he posted any old tests or assignments, but he gives you plenty of time to do the assignments (which are harder than the tests) and as I said he welcomes you to ask questions during office hours.

I don't know about the chem kids/other kids, but the chem bio kids in the class pretty much did well overall (10+)
Old 12-22-2011 at 08:23 AM   #5
Jeff.Tam

Liked: 0 Times
I did not find myself using the textbook at all. Would just like the mention Dr. McNulty is an amazing prof!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search