MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-29-2011 at 01:25 PM   #1
GB123

Liked: 2 Times

Chemical Biology question.
Chemical Biology is one of the programs I'm considering for second year, and according to this: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass..._2011-2012.pdf

Physics 1BB3 is strongly recommended. However, I have no room left for this course (unless I take 6 courses in one term). Even if I drop an elective, due to course availability, courses being full and the prerequisites, I would have to take 6 courses in one term and 4 in the other in order to accommodate it.

My question is, how important is Physics 1BB3 for Chemical Biology? Will I be really lost if I don't take it and go into Chem Bio? Should I take during second year or summer school? Advice and suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited by GB123 : 06-30-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-29-2011 at 11:18 PM   #2
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Bump
Bump
Bump
Bump
Old 06-30-2011 at 12:09 AM   #3
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

If they say strongly recommended you can assume that you HAVE to take it, just take it in Term 2?
Old 06-30-2011 at 12:11 AM   #4
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Next time you should put Chem Bio or something similar in the title of the thread.

For now, look around the site for people entering 3rd year Chem Bio and send them a PM, they should be happy to help.

nurual is one user who is going into 4th year I believe and goodnews.inc was in Chem Bio last year if I recall correctly. They might be able to help.

Last edited by UlteriorMtve : 06-30-2011 at 12:13 AM.

GB123 says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.
Old 06-30-2011 at 07:22 AM   #5
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

I remember reading a post about someone getting an answer to your question from an academic advisor. Simply put, recommended courses will help but are not necessary. In other words, if you don't take it you're not gonna miss out on anything but if you do it might help.
Old 06-30-2011 at 10:36 AM   #6
interrobang?

Liked: 2 Times

I'm in Chem Bio going to 4th year, and I say it's not necessary. You refine your ability to manipulate equations and problem solve, which is always good, but strictly content-wise, it's not relevant.

Unless there's some rule that strongly recommended means you can't graduate without it (find out, but I don't think so), I wouldn't spend the time/money unless it's something you're interested in or you have other aspirations.

GB123 says thanks to interrobang? for this post.
Old 06-30-2011 at 03:02 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Yeah, 1BB3 is definitely not essential for anything. Most people haven't taken it and are completely fine

GB123 says thanks to nerual for this post.