MacInsiders Logo

Chemistry 1A03/1AA3 textbook

Old 07-23-2012 at 06:57 PM   #1
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Chemistry 1A03/1AA3 textbook
How is this book (Petrucci)? Worth buying?
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:00 PM   #2
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

Depends on how you learn. I always went to class (had Landry both terms) but never cracked the textbook. Managed to do well in the course regardless.

If you think you're going to/have time to read it, then go for it. If you are not or know you wont have time then it is pointless (for me readings were the first thing to go out the window once I got busy).

Alexmahone says thanks to spyridm for this post.
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:03 PM   #3
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyridm View Post
Depends on how you learn. I always went to class (had Landry both terms) but never cracked the textbook. Managed to do well in the course regardless.

If you think you're going to/have time to read it, then go for it. If you are not or know you wont have time then it is pointless (for me readings were the first thing to go out the window once I got busy).
I learn mainly by reading the textbook. My question was if the book's any good because if it isn't, I'll consider buying another book.
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:12 PM   #4
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

From personally experience, I bought it, did a few questions, then stopped. I don't really like how the textbook is organized (personally). But if you learn better from textbooks as to lectures, then go for it. It may be on the expensive side ($100+ which includes mastering chem) but I would suggest buying it used and buying mastering chem separately from titles.

Alexmahone says thanks to winter02 for this post.
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:14 PM   #5
Differential

Liked: 20 Times

Petrucci is garbage IMO and Dumont was useless. I used this book http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/019927... 088685&sr=8-4

Alexmahone says thanks to Differential for this post.
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:21 PM   #6
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
Petrucci is garbage IMO and Dumont was useless. I used this book http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/019927... 088685&sr=8-4
Why do you think it's garbage? My teacher will be Gillian Goward, by the way.
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:29 PM   #7
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Never opened the book tbh and did very well, you will learn everything in lecture and what you dont understand is easily found on the internet... The first year chem courses are extremely well organized and set up to do well, there is certainly no lack of practice questions provided and the practice questions written by the profs are much much more reflective of what you will see on tests.

Alexmahone says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.

spyridm likes this.
Old 07-23-2012 at 07:32 PM   #8
Differential

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
Why do you think it's garbage? My teacher will be Gillian Goward, by the way.
Because content of the text didn't synchronize well with class, examples were boring and repetitive, explanations were weak and so on

Alexmahone says thanks to Differential for this post.
Old 07-23-2012 at 08:34 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

book is a waste. the theory they test you on is practically word for word from the lecture slides. they post full lecture slides. you dont even need to go to class. reading the slides and understanding them will do you more good. questions to do for practice would probably be old midterms which they also post and looking over tutorials before a test always helped.

Alexmahone says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 07-23-2012 at 08:59 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

mostly everything is in the slides. It isn't bad for referencing. Just get a used copy if you want one.
Old 07-23-2012 at 09:07 PM   #11
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
book is a waste.
Why do you say so?
Old 07-23-2012 at 09:12 PM   #12
Silver
Elite Member

in my previous post i said because they only test you on things from the slides and the slides are the best way to study imo. textbook questions are useless since they are nothing like test questions.
Old 07-23-2012 at 09:21 PM   #13
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
in my previous post i said because they only test you on things from the slides and the slides are the best way to study imo. textbook questions are useless since they are nothing like test questions.
Thanks, but what I want to know is if it's a good chemistry textbook, not if it's useful for the course.
Old 07-23-2012 at 09:23 PM   #14
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

Buy Mastering Chem by itself > it comes with an online ebook.

Old 07-23-2012 at 09:38 PM   #15
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
Thanks, but what I want to know is if it's a good chemistry textbook, not if it's useful for the course.
idk if its good for reading. i doubt you would want to waste time reading it if youre not reading it for this course.