MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Chemistry 1A03/1E03 Textbook Exercises TheZProjekt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-18-2010 05:41 PM

Chemistry 1E03

Chemistry 1E03
Chemistry for engineers
Published by ericvan1
05-24-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 83%
Chemistry 1E03

One of the required core courses for 1st year engineering students.

This is mainly a review of Gr. 12 chemistry, but goes a lot more in depth than high school. If there were things you got away without knowing in chemistry, you have will to learn them now in this course. Had Barbier as my prof. he was a good instructor and had fun lecture hall experiments, every week. 5 labs, the 1st one is easy, but there are 1 or 2 which are difficult later on. Math is easy, no calculus. Online quiz to do every couple weeks which are not too hard, lowest mark is dropped. Tests are all multiple choice, with part marks for some questions.

Mark breakdown:

Quizzes 10% (5 @ 2% each)
Labs 15%
Term Test 1 15%
Term Test 2 20%
Final Exam 40% Mandatory

The Textbook for the course is General Chemistry, 9th edition, by R.H. Petrucci

lmasud, MacPack, xxsumz all say thanks to ericvan1 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Chemistry 1E03!

Old 06-01-2009 at 07:44 PM   #2
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times
Is it reccomended to do prelabs for the labs?
Old 06-02-2009 at 09:16 AM   #3
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times
Your pre-lab is usually worth 10% of the total lab so yes, do it.
Old 08-26-2009 at 10:33 AM   #4
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times
the website tells us to buy the 3 part package for the book for this course, as well as physics and calc. i was wondering if i really need the 3-part package or if just buying the book is good enough?

Old 08-26-2009 at 10:37 AM   #5
GregZ

Liked: 4 Times
just buying the textbook is enough. The other two things in the package i didn't even look at
Old 08-26-2009 at 12:43 PM   #6
lmasud

what about physics and calc, was it useful in those two classes?
Old 08-27-2009 at 10:52 AM   #7
GregZ

Liked: 4 Times
For both of those the entre package is good. Physics the package is good because you get a solutions manual which goes over the major topics in each chapter VERY thoroughly and gives you indepth solutions to some questions. Math you need Maple for your labs and the solutions manuals give out all the solutions for every other question which is VERY helpful if you don't understand something in a chapter you can follow along with what they do
Old 12-27-2009 at 11:58 AM   #8
lmasud

Chem 1E03
Basic breakdown of the course:

Quizzes 10% (5 @ 2% each)
Labs 15%
Term Test 1 15%
Term Test 2 20%
Final Exam 40% Mandatory

Textbook:General Chemistry, 9th edition, by R.H. Petrucci

My Thoughts
You get six quizzes throughout the semester (about every two weeks) and you get ten days to finish it. They are manageable, but I would recommend starting early on the quizzes as some of the questions will require some time. The labs were either really good or really bad. Most of my lab section either failed or got 90's on the four labs we did. The first midterm was very tough, not too much matched with the sample tests we were given. The second one was much easier, still not too easy. Final was easier than both midterms.

This was probably the worst class for me in first semester. The book was very good at explaining things; however, the professor was downright terrible. I had Barbier, and his notes looked like chicken scratch to me, plus his accent made it hard to understand him. Plus, his notes did not go into depth about any topics, and were hard to understand (at least for me) unless you read through the book first.

Boolean, MasudFX like this.
Old 02-23-2011 at 02:29 PM   #9
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times
is it possible to get the book online? I know I am very bad at chemistry and I need to get at least 60% any tips on being able to get my goal

Min 60% my goal ofcorse is like 75-80%
Old 02-23-2011 at 05:03 PM   #10
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
1st year chemistry isn't that bad. A 75-80% shouldn't be too difficult, just look over the practice tests and you should be fine

mfattal says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 04-24-2011 at 11:29 PM   #11
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times
Study & Review, REPEAT
CHEM 1E03 can be an easy course. The labs are easy and straightforward, and the online assignment/quizzes are there for easy marks. Tests are usually recycled from past years, so are the exams. Review the material, do the questions, and this course is a piece of cake.
Old 07-29-2011 at 08:25 PM   #12
dide101
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times
How heavily is the textbook used in this course?
Old 09-10-2011 at 08:10 AM   #13
rohit400

hi guys do you suggest that i buy the new chem package for $110 or should i buy a used book with solution manual for 50$ with no Masteringchem
Old 01-02-2013 at 10:15 PM   #14
Saamna09

I would suggest the used book + solutions manual. Unless you want/enjoy the extra practice of mastering chem - in my opinion it's not really necessary, since you've got bi-weekly quizzes on avenue and weekly tutorial questions, not to mention a large archive of previous midterms/exams + solutions all on avenue, I think that's sufficient.
Old 07-24-2013 at 02:55 PM   #15
SVR23

WHATS AVENUE ? And did you guys learn stochiometry (moles) in this course?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search