MacInsiders Logo

Chemistry HELP PLEASE!

Old 10-10-2009 at 03:56 PM   #1
Fa11enAnge1

Liked: 3 Times

Chemistry HELP PLEASE!
There is this question in Chem 1A03 quiz that I am so lost about. Please help me.

Which of the following statements is/are true regarding the Lewis structures of SFO2- and SFO2+?

1. There are four bonds about S in both species.
 2. There are more than eight electrons in the valence shell of one of the atoms in SFO2-.
 3. There are negative (-) formal charges in both species.
 4. There are positive (+) formal charges in both of these species.
 5. There are more than eight electrons in the valence shell of one of the atoms in SFO2+.

(2 in both cases is subscript).

On yahoo answers someone posted that the answer is 3 and 4. But I thought it was 2 and 5.

Thanks so much
Old 10-10-2009
saukalra
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-10-2009 at 04:32 PM   #2
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa11enAnge1 View Post
There is this question in Chem 1A03 quiz that I am so lost about. Please help me.

Which of the following statements is/are true regarding the Lewis structures of SFO2- and SFO2+?

1. There are four bonds about S in both species.
2. There are more than eight electrons in the valence shell of one of the atoms in SFO2-.
3. There are negative (-) formal charges in both species.
4. There are positive (+) formal charges in both of these species.
5. There are more than eight electrons in the valence shell of one of the atoms in SFO2+.

(2 in both cases is subscript).

On yahoo answers someone posted that the answer is 3 and 4. But I thought it was 2 and 5.

Thanks so much
I'm pretty sure you are right, the answer should be 2 and 5 from the formal charge minimized lewis structures.

Fa11enAnge1 says thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 10-17-2009
bcde713
This message has been removed by a moderator. .