Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chemistry Labs Jason036 Academics 3 08-10-2010 03:04 PM

Chemistry Labs

Old 08-17-2010 at 09:30 PM   #1
Qadd

Liked: 3 Times

Chemistry Labs
I read somewhere that having chemistry labs on friday afternoons is terrible (I'm not sure where i read this, but I believe the reason they gave was because all chemistry midterms are on friday nights....though i'm not sure)

For chem 1a03, lab is 11:30 - 2:20

For chem 1aa3, lab is 2:30 - 5:20

Would you recommend I switch them? The best possible place for chem 1aa3 is monday from 2:30 - 5:20. Is that a good option?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:40 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadd View Post
I read somewhere that having chemistry labs on friday afternoons is terrible (I'm not sure where i read this, but I believe the reason they gave was because all chemistry midterms are on friday nights....though i'm not sure)

Would you recommend I switch them? The best possible place for chem 1aa3 is monday from 2:30 - 5:20. Is that a good option?

Thanks!
The test is at 7pm and occurs twice a term. It's up to you if you want to change it or not.
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:41 PM   #3
X!Bilet

Liked: 4 Times

Hey, a lab is not that difficult so dont stress out. And in first year, most labs you dont hand in right after but a week later, if i recall correctly. So is it gna make that big a difference; most likely not, just make sure to do your prelab really early and it should work out just fine. And i dont recall the midterms always being on a Friday. But they are always in the evening times like 7-9. If anything itll keep you from stressing out and keep you occupied. However, if you are one of those people that procarstinates and is studying last minute then obvious choice would be to switch it to a more appropriate time.
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:41 PM   #4
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

yes chem midterms are friday nights which suck :( BUT i had my chem labs on friday n they ended at 2:30 n i had no problems
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:50 PM   #5
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:

Thanks!
LOL i think i might have said that
I dont know which is worse having labs on Mondays or Fridays.
With Fridays there's a chance of having your midterm an hour after your lab

People who have the lab on Monday's are usually the guinea pigs(well the ones who have the lab for the first week as they are the first group to do the labs and don't have a chance to ask people for prelab help(since most people wouldn't have looked at the prelab))

but for those times I think Monday labs will be ok not the best but better than Friday so I would go with Monday @ 2:30
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:53 PM   #6
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Depends on how you study. I had 8:30 lab the day of the midterm and then the core class right after. I found it really stressful, just because my study personality type is like: "use every possible moment for the two weeks before it to study" (yes I know it's a bit much). so i found it stressful to have to spend three hours NOT concentrating on something pertaining to the midterm, and sleep depriving myself further (but you wont have this problem since it'll be 11:30 or 2:30)

Also, last year, the labs were mostly all hand in at the end of the lab, so maybe they've changed it since x!bilet was in this class, but some of the labs DO take the entire 3 hours..

Also, please disregard this entire message if you're amazing in chemistry, then you won't have any problem.
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:56 PM   #7
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0fSpades View Post
LOL i think i might have said that
I dont know which is worse having labs on Mondays or Fridays.
With Fridays there's a chance of having your midterm an hour after your lab

People who have the lab on Monday's are usually the guinea pigs(well the ones who have the lab for the first week as they are the first group to do the labs and don't have a chance to ask people for prelab help(since most people wouldn't have looked at the prelab))

but for those times I think Monday labs will be ok not the best but better than Friday so I would go with Monday @ 2:30
mondays are still good as long as it's on the second week right?
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:02 PM   #8
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by X!Bilet View Post
Hey, a lab is not that difficult so dont stress out. And in first year, most labs you dont hand in right after but a week later, if i recall correctly. So is it gna make that big a difference; most likely not, just make sure to do your prelab really early and it should work out just fine. And i dont recall the midterms always being on a Friday. But they are always in the evening times like 7-9. If anything itll keep you from stressing out and keep you occupied. However, if you are one of those people that procarstinates and is studying last minute then obvious choice would be to switch it to a more appropriate time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
mondays are still good as long as it's on the second week right?
Yeah second week Mondays are actually good
I know couple of people who had it the first week and hated it because they were unsure of what they did in the prelab or didn't understand what something in the manual said.

Not saying this happens to everyone but it does happen
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:20 PM   #9
Qadd

Liked: 3 Times

Ok so now i feel better about my 11:30 - 2:20 1a03 lab, but I'm unsure about my 2:30 to 5:20 1aa3 lab. Are people usually exhausted after labs? Because if they are, I'll switch mine to monday...
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:25 PM   #10
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Chemistry labs are fun and easy =) Bio labs on the other hand...
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:27 PM   #11
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by X!Bilet View Post
not in chem 1a03... all labs were handed to the TA before leaving
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:31 PM   #12
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

What if you have a chemistry lecture Friday night (ie. 430-530)...would you learn something that is going to be on the test/midterm that night.. Gosh I hope not...:|
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:35 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Ok so now i feel better about my 11:30 - 2:20 1a03 lab, but I'm unsure about my 2:30 to 5:20 1aa3 lab. Are people usually exhausted after labs? Because if they are, I'll switch mine to monday...
I've had both 11:30-2:20 and 2:30-5:30 on fridays. 11:30-2:20 is fine--I actually really like that timeslot! It's not too early and not too late, and it doesn't really matter what day you have it (aside from the whole Monday Week 1 thing).

2:30-5:20 sucks, not so much because of the Friday midterms (although that is a factor), but because I usually want to end early-ish on Fridays in case I'm going out or going home or something. If you have a chem midterm, they'll usually try to get you out early...not so much for the other midterms lol.

As for being exhausted, you really shouldn't be, unless you have a really long day before that. Most people make out chem labs to be the hardest/most stressful thing ever. They're really not.
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:36 PM   #14
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
What if you have a chemistry lecture Friday night (ie. 430-530)...would you learn something that is going to be on the test/midterm that night.. Gosh I hope not...:|
No, all the material that will be on the chemistry midterm is covered up until one week before the midterm. So, if you have a friday lecture and the midterm is the same day, you won't learn stuff that you need to know for the midterm. The profs provide you with all the material one week before the midterm and after that one week, you learn new stuff and its not on the midterm.

The second midterm is cumulative but the same idea applies.

Biochem47 says thanks to lankan_4lif for this post.
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:37 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I've had both 11:30-2:20 and 2:30-5:30 on fridays. 11:30-2:20 is fine--I actually really like that timeslot! It's not too early and not too late, and it doesn't really matter what day you have it (aside from the whole Monday Week 1 thing).

2:30-5:20 sucks, not so much because of the Friday midterms (although that is a factor), but because I usually want to end early-ish on Fridays in case I'm going out or going home or something. If you have a chem midterm, they'll usually try to get you out early...not so much for the other midterms lol.

As for being exhausted, you really shouldn't be, unless you have a really long day before that. Most people make out chem labs to be the hardest/most stressful thing ever. They're really not.
I found the chem labs to be on par with all the other labs I've done. You just follow instructions, it's not that hard...