MacInsiders Logo

Chemistry Problem Help!?!

Old 03-29-2011 at 04:23 PM   #1
ohhlalaa

Liked: 0 Times

Chemistry Problem Help!?!
Professor Klump forgot to label his solutions and cannot remember which anion is in it. He run's the following tests and has figured out the identity of his unknown. The tests must be done in this order to determine the unknown solutions and all 3 tests are required.

Test 1: Ca 2+
Test 2: Al 3+
Test 3: Sr 2+

So this is pertaining to the solubility rules.
Were not told if Ca, Al and Sr are soluble or insoluble with the anion in the unknown solution
There are 4 answers.

NEED HELP PLEASE?!?!
Old 03-29-2011 at 04:26 PM   #2
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhlalaa View Post
Professor Klump forgot to label his solutions and cannot remember which anion is in it. He run's the following tests and has figured out the identity of his unknown. The tests must be done in this order to determine the unknown solutions and all 3 tests are required.

Test 1: Ca 2+
Test 2: Al 3+
Test 3: Sr 2+

So this is pertaining to the solubility rules.
Were not told if Ca, Al and Sr are soluble or insoluble with the anion in the unknown solution
There are 4 answers.

NEED HELP PLEASE?!?!

"THIS ISN'T YAHOO ANSWERS"

That's my way of saying I have no idea..
Old 03-29-2011 at 04:32 PM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

is that the entire question?
im pretty sure u were given (or can find int the text) a chart for solubilities
Old 03-29-2011 at 04:45 PM   #4
ohhlalaa

Quote:
is that the entire question?
im pretty sure u were given (or can find int the text) a chart for solubilities
yeah were given a solubility table, but idk how to even start this question.

i mean, so we find what each cation is soluble/insoluble with? that i can do easily

but the question wants us to find the unknown anion in the solution.. and were not given whether or not each cation is soluble/insoluble in the unknown anion.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-29-2011 at 04:56 PM   #5
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

google it
Old 03-29-2011 at 05:11 PM   #6
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

sulphate perhaps?

Calcium sulphate - insoluble
Aluminum sulphate - soluble
Strontium sulphate - insoluble

are you actually given possible answers for the cation or does it just ask you to come up with one, what did you mean by "there are 4 answers". if you are given options then it would help to actually post them....
Old 03-29-2011 at 05:20 PM   #7
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

u probably first compare the solubilities of ca & al and see which ones dont match up (because i think there are only one or two that dont) ie its soluble w/ Ca but not Al & then look @ Sr. I get SO4 or S- but idk if i'm doing this right, its been a while since i've done chem lol.

oh lol above got the same. well yay we're on the right track!
Old 03-29-2011 at 05:26 PM   #8
ohhlalaa

um no were not given answers, but the teacher just told us there is 4 answers to this problem. but see i dont understand what you guys are doing.

i mean how do you know its sulphate, when ca and sr are insoluble... the question doesnt tell you if the anion in the solution is solbule/insoluble with the cations given.

i just dont understand this process of how your attempting this question.

thanks for the replies tho guys!
Old 03-29-2011 at 05:27 PM   #9
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

its in a solubilities chart? i literally just googled a solubility chart and it showed what cations and anions were soluble/insoluble..
Old 03-29-2011 at 05:58 PM   #10
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Wtf class is this for?
Old 03-29-2011 at 06:05 PM   #11
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Wtf class is this for?
Prospective student, I assume grade 11 or 12 Chemistry.
Old 03-29-2011 at 06:07 PM   #12
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
um no were not given answers, but the teacher just told us there is 4 answers to this problem. but see i dont understand what you guys are doing.

i mean how do you know its sulphate, when ca and sr are insoluble... the question doesnt tell you if the anion in the solution is solbule/insoluble with the cations given.

i just dont understand this process of how your attempting this question.

thanks for the replies tho guys!
use logical deduction. considering that the question told you that all 3 tests had to be conducted, you know that one of the tests must reveal something that the others do not, if you have a look at the solubility chart then you'll see why sulphate and S- both make sense.

it's like sesame street's "which one of these is not like the other"
Old 03-29-2011 at 06:41 PM   #13
ohhlalaa

Quote:
use logical deduction. considering that the question told you that all 3 tests had to be conducted, you know that one of the tests must reveal something that the others do not, if you have a look at the solubility chart then you'll see why sulphate and S- both make sense.

it's like sesame street's "which one of these is not like the other"
ok i see that, but how does that help me with the question? in the question it doesn't tell you whether or not the cations are soluble or insoluble with the anions... so even if i figure out all the possibilities of each one that doesnt help because im still left with a whole bunch of possibilities..

like how am i susposed to figure out what anion it is...

i found that Ca, Al and Sr are all soluble with CH3COO (acetate), nitrate (No3) Br and I... but im stumped on how im susposed to know if Ca is susposed to be soluble/insoluble in the solution, is Al soluble/insoluble in the solution and if Sr is soluble/insoluble in the solution.

zzz

EDIT: its a grade 11 AP chem. problem btw, for all those wondering.

Last edited by ohhlalaa : 03-29-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2011 at 06:49 PM   #14
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
ok i see that, but how does that help me with the question? in the question it doesn't tell you whether or not the cations are soluble or insoluble with the anions... so even if i figure out all the possibilities of each one that doesnt help because im still left with a whole bunch of possibilities..

like how am i susposed to figure out what anion it is...

i found that Ca, Al and Sr are all soluble with CH3COO (acetate), nitrate (No3) Br and I... but im stumped on how im susposed to know if Ca is susposed to be soluble/insoluble in the solution, is Al soluble/insoluble in the solution and if Sr is soluble/insoluble in the solution.

zzz

EDIT: its a grade 11 AP chem. problem btw, for all those wondering.
WHY ARE YOU DOING HOMEWORK ARE YOU ON ****ING CRACK?!?!
Old 03-29-2011 at 07:13 PM   #15
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times

use this...i used it for homework help in High School...you get to chat with a real teacher

http://www.ilc.org/aat/chat.php

ohhlalaa says thanks to Awesomeness for this post.

ohhlalaa likes this.