How fast is fast, MLC's server benchmark kevinf Gaming 1 01-15-2010 10:30 AM
Ultra-Easy Lentils temara.brown Recipes 0 06-28-2009 06:48 PM

Cisco unveils ultra-fast Internet technology

Old 03-09-2010 at 05:10 PM   #1
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Cisco unveils ultra-fast Internet technology
Really cool article on CNN Money. Imagine 332 terabits per second!

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/09/tech...dex.htm?hpt=T2
Old 03-09-2010 at 05:23 PM   #2
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

tiem to buy some stocks I guess
Old 03-09-2010 at 05:55 PM   #3
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

$1.6 billion in the technology and will begin selling the routers at $90,000

Lol....yeah that's not a lot.

Oh well, I can't wait until we're like 35 years old and this is everywhere.
Old 03-09-2010 at 05:59 PM   #4
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
$1.6 billion in the technology and will begin selling the routers at $90,000

Lol....yeah that's not a lot.

Oh well, I can't wait until we're like 35 years old and this is everywhere.
I think these routers will be purchased by ISPs and WSPs, apparently AT&T did some testing for them too. It won't be instant, but I think the demand will allow this technology to spread rather quickly.

North America is falling farther and farther behind in internet and wireless capabilities and I think people are getting frustrated; people want this technology and I don't think price will be an issue for big companies like AT&T, or the Canadian players either.
Old 03-19-2010
chandirika
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-19-2010
sniderj
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-19-2010 at 10:42 AM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I think these routers will be purchased by ISPs and WSPs, apparently AT&T did some testing for them too. It won't be instant, but I think the demand will allow this technology to spread rather quickly.

North America is falling farther and farther behind in internet and wireless capabilities and I think people are getting frustrated; people want this technology and I don't think price will be an issue for big companies like AT&T, or the Canadian players either.
But the thing is we have technology already for much faster internet speeds than we currently get. The ISPs don't want to update their infrastructure though, because they know they have a monopoly (technically an oligopoly, but whatevs). The cost of a new system from scratch is a huge barrier to entry, so the existing players can pretty much give us what they decide. In a smaller country its a lot easier to have actual competition.

Google is helping, but its still a long time before we'll be able to compete with Japan or South Korea for internet speeds.