MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey!! Civil anyone? Smexy Introduce Yourself 2 06-12-2013 02:57 PM
Civil Engineering year 3 (NOT MANAGEMENT) ElvisMoses Academics 6 03-30-2013 09:37 PM
civil engineering chenier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 10-25-2012 11:21 PM

Civil&management or civil only??

Old 06-17-2013 at 09:10 PM   #1
omran

Liked: 0 Times

Civil&management or civil only??
Hey everyone,

I am going into 2nd year for civil engineering, but i was thinking of switching to civil&management and apparently my GPA is high enough to allow me to switch (according to Sally).

Anyway, is it worth it doing an extra year? especially that i am not going to do MBA after i graduate. I'm really confused whether i should switch or stick to civil only.
Does anyone regret doing management? and what are the advantages of doing it?

any help is appreciated.
Old 06-18-2013 at 01:23 AM   #2
Albert

Liked: 0 Times

If you have the money and you aren't worried about financing it, I think it would be a decent idea. I ended up getting into Electrical and Management, but I'm opting out of the management part cause as an Electrical Engineer I don't think it's worth it. However I do think it's worth it for Civil. Many Civil type jobs have a project management aspect to it, or site supervision/inspection. Both of which management could be helpful, since it shows you're more well rounded and have leadership skills. So if you want to go that route it would be helpful. If you want to go more the technical route then it may not be as helpful. I got a diploma at Mohawk for Construction Technician, so I have a generally idea of what's going on with construction.
Old 06-18-2013 at 01:58 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

The Management stream won't actually help you with the Construction Management aspect. Management has a lot more to do with money and other corporate management topics. Straight Civil has the Construction Management course, and in both streams you can take Advanced Construction Mgmt in fourth year.

What actually gives you project management skills for construction is participation in teams, and co-op jobs in the construction field.

I did Civ & Scty myself, and I have no doubt that I have all the applicable skills for construction management, because Society develops communication skills better than any other stream. Additionally, I've participated in enough extra-curricular projects, and I've completed several useful co-op terms. I'm not going to try and sell you on Society now, but I will tell you that a 5-year program is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It doesn't have to be Management though... There probably isn't a forward-thinking Faculty member that would tell you a 4-year is better than a 5-year program... {Granted, if you've done a technical program, or worked in industry before, then a 4-year is absolutely fine.}

Allister7 says thanks to mike_302 for this post.