MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic 2d03 & Classic 2e03 Ever Academics 0 08-15-2013 12:07 PM
Daily game Jan 22 : Ancient Powers NX8 Chad Daily Game 0 01-22-2011 04:31 AM
AGH World Film Festival Screening + MSU After-Party Tickets only $10 finklej MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 08:40 PM
Classics 2E03/Theatr and Film 2G03 DonJuan Academics 0 10-26-2009 10:32 PM

Classic 2e03-the Ancient World In Film

Old 08-17-2013 at 12:33 PM   #1
Ever

Liked: 0 Times

Classic 2e03-the Ancient World In Film
can someone please give me a review of Classic 2E03 based on your experience?

Tell me about the course breakdown, workload and such
Overall would you consider this as a easy course, possible of getting a grade of 12?

A course outline would also be vey helpful

Thank you
Old 08-17-2013 at 03:39 PM   #2
clarksl4

Liked: 4 Times

I registered for this course second semester. I've looked all over for an outline or anything useful and I haven't been able to find a thing. It doesn't appear to be offered very frequently. There isn't even a prof listed. I would say with other Classics courses I've taken, they were generally quite easy compared to history for example, but it really depends on the prof, and there doesn't seem to be one assigned yet. It would be nice to know what exactly the course is about but all I can find is this:

http://www.runclassifieds.co m/clas...m-1052295.html

http://mcmaster.courseguru.c a/clas...world-in-film/

Neither of which give a whole lot of information.

Ever says thanks to clarksl4 for this post.
Old 08-17-2013 at 08:05 PM   #3
luna

Liked: 10 Times

I think this is a new course starting this fall term. A friend of mine took it this summer so hopefully I can help. Basically here's what you need to know:

In this course, you learn about greek myths from their greek translations. You do the readings of the myths in the course pack and then the prof explains the myth to you in class. Most importantly each class you watch a film relating to the myth you are covering that week. For example, my friend watched the film gladiator when they were talking about greek heroes and such. Then the prof discusses the relationship of the film with the readings. You look at the ancient world in old films and how it is portrayed in them. It seems like a very interesting class except for the fact that you mostly watch old films (1960s etc) which I am not particularly interested in. Overall, its looking at different versions of well-known greek myths and their portrayal in the media.

There are weekly quizzes based on the readings and films but they seem very easy (my friend got around 80 or above on all of them) but the prof sometimes adds in a couple of trick questions to make the quizzes hard if they seem too easy but they're still doable. There were no tests. The final had various options: take-home exam (4/10 questions to do, 1pg), essay (2000-3000 words), or a project (screenplay, graphic novel, comic strip, etc.). You got marks for attendance and participation in class and on avenue too. So, it's definitely possible to get a grade 12 in the course!!! but keep in mind this was in the summer term so some little things might change now.

The prof is Dr. Russell - great prof, interested in his work, willing to clarify things and answer questions, nice, and fair in terms of work load and grading.

hopefully this helps!!

Ever says thanks to luna for this post.

Ever, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-17-2013 at 11:29 PM   #4
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

Any idea if the same prof is teaching it?
Old 08-18-2013 at 12:05 PM   #5
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
I think this is a new course starting this fall term. A friend of mine took it this summer so hopefully I can help. Basically here's what you need to know:

In this course, you learn about greek myths from their greek translations. You do the readings of the myths in the course pack and then the prof explains the myth to you in class. Most importantly each class you watch a film relating to the myth you are covering that week. For example, my friend watched the film gladiator when they were talking about greek heroes and such. Then the prof discusses the relationship of the film with the readings. You look at the ancient world in old films and how it is portrayed in them. It seems like a very interesting class except for the fact that you mostly watch old films (1960s etc) which I am not particularly interested in. Overall, its looking at different versions of well-known greek myths and their portrayal in the media.

There are weekly quizzes based on the readings and films but they seem very easy (my friend got around 80 or above on all of them) but the prof sometimes adds in a couple of trick questions to make the quizzes hard if they seem too easy but they're still doable. There were no tests. The final had various options: take-home exam (4/10 questions to do, 1pg), essay (2000-3000 words), or a project (screenplay, graphic novel, comic strip, etc.). You got marks for attendance and participation in class and on avenue too. So, it's definitely possible to get a grade 12 in the course!!! but keep in mind this was in the summer term so some little things might change now.

The prof is Dr. Russell - great prof, interested in his work, willing to clarify things and answer questions, nice, and fair in terms of work load and grading.

hopefully this helps!!
This is a great course review, luna! May I suggest that you add it to the Course Revews section of MI?

~*Sara*~ says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.