MacInsiders Logo
Old 02-17-2010 at 09:06 PM   #1
noghi

Liked: 2 Times

Co-ops
Hey, so I was looking thorugh Mcmasters websites and couldn't find anything on Co-ops. Right now I am in Commerce 1, but unsure what I want to major in, so I think I want to do a co-op. Can anyone give me some guidance how I would find out about co-ops offered thorugh Mcmaster (if thats even how you go about doing it) or how you even get a co-op going.

thanks.
Old 02-17-2010 at 10:01 PM   #2
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

I am familiar with the engineering and science co-op. I havent heard much about anything else.

Honestly, go to Gilmour Hall 110, the career services office, tell them you are in commerce 1, you want to do co-op, and ask them were you should go.

They are really helpful, should be able to point you where you want to go.
Old 02-18-2010 at 04:20 PM   #3
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

As far as I know, there is not an official commerce co-op program. The closest thing is the commerce internship (see link; scroll down to commerce internship program: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1186.html ).

I don't believe commerce offers any other programs, but I think you can still get some good experience through related summer jobs. The difference would be that 1) you're not getting credit for it/it doesn't count as part of your degree and 2) you won't be able to get a related full time job during the school year, as you could with eng or science co-op programs.

You could double check with the DeGroote School of Business and check out Career Services like Rossclot suggested.
Old 02-18-2010 at 04:21 PM   #4
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

I think the closest thing offered is Commerce "Internships" after 3rd year. Quick search had this pop up, might be a good place to start looking: http://www.degroote.mcmaster .ca/ug/cip.html
Old 02-18-2010 at 06:26 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noghi View Post
Hey, so I was looking thorugh Mcmasters websites and couldn't find anything on Co-ops. Right now I am in Commerce 1, but unsure what I want to major in, so I think I want to do a co-op. Can anyone give me some guidance how I would find out about co-ops offered thorugh Mcmaster (if thats even how you go about doing it) or how you even get a co-op going.

thanks.

You just go to the website of the program you are interested in and check if they have co-op. Commerce has internships, science and engineering have co-op.
Old 02-18-2010 at 10:20 PM   #6
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Having a summer job in your area of interest is great, plus it shows initiative. Unfortunately if you aren't part of a school co-op program the business doesn't get a tax credit so they are less likely to hire you.

Having "& CO-OP" on your final degree usually looks bad to employers. Most employers dont fully understand what co-op is at the university level, and think of it as "that shit dumb kids do in highschool because they are too stupid to pass the basic classes". I have had an employer say that to me. Of course all employers are different, maybe it could work in your favor.

The good thing about co-op, -who cares whether you graduated with it on your degree- is that when you slide out of the university's womb you have relevant work experience. Plus you make money. Plus you dont have to repay OSAP during that period.
Old 02-25-2010 at 04:53 PM   #7
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
Having "& CO-OP" on your final degree usually looks bad to employers. Most employers dont fully understand what co-op is at the university level, and think of it as "that shit dumb kids do in highschool because they are too stupid to pass the basic classes". I have had an employer say that to me. Of course all employers are different, maybe it could work in your favor.
I strongly disagree. In terms of science career opportunities, most (if not all) employers have a very good understanding of the co-op designation and see it as an advantage (especially if you graduate without a specialization). And even if they don't understand what co-op means, they'll understand that part of your resume that says you have 16 months of work experience prior to graduation.

Old 02-25-2010 at 05:02 PM   #8
kangs6

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
I strongly disagree. In terms of science career opportunities, most (if not all) employers have a very good understanding of the co-op designation and see it as an advantage (especially if you graduate without a specialization). And even if they don't understand what co-op means, they'll understand that part of your resume that says you have 16 months of work experience prior to graduation.
I agree with u.
Old 02-26-2010 at 04:35 AM   #9
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Unfortunately, you missed the Academic Awareness Conference which the DCS organizes. It's a conference aimed at Business students that brings in industry professionals to help students figure out what they want to major in and how to get there.

I recommend you go talk to the DCS. The President and VP Finance will be a ton of help (except that the VPF has an actual love affair with accounting) and will point you in the right directions.

Here's their site which has their contact info: http://www.degrootecommerce. ca

Also, the VP Finance can tell you a lot about the internship process. He explained it all to me today, as he just heard results from the first round of interviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post

The good thing about co-op, -who cares whether you graduated with it on your degree- is that when you slide out of the university's womb you have relevant work experience. Plus you make money. Plus you dont have to repay OSAP during that period.
Wow, thats quite a stupid thing for an employer to say. May I inquire as to who this company is?

So I'm from Waterloo, and most of my friends ended up in Coop programs at Laurier or UWaterloo, so I like to think I have a unique perspective on it. The one thing that they never had to do was look for summer jobs. The Coop programs facilitated all of that. A lot of my friends got valuable work experience for big companies with bigger brands, and this lead to even better jobs.

I've had friends do absolutely horrible at school, but not care one bit because their first Coop term got them crazy jobs with crazy companies.

The real benefit is getting the foot in the door, and being able to put real things and real responsibilities on your resume. Also, most of the people I know who have been in a coop job have found post-secondary employment at the same place. A few of my friends who worked at RIM and then were offered jobs upon graduation had RIM pay for their phones in the semesters they took to finish up their degrees.

I also have on friend who didn't actually finish school, but is now managing some random junk at RIM (he's 25 this year) thanks to the performance at his coop.

But yes, it's about the employers, and your performance.

Last edited by rohan10 : 02-26-2010 at 04:43 AM.