MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EWB Referendum mlangille General Discussion 84 03-10-2010 11:10 PM
OPINION - McMaster Campus Choice: The NO side of the Coca-Cola Referendum Debate lorend General Discussion 25 02-05-2010 12:25 AM
OPINION: Coca Cola Referendum - the "Yes" Side of the Debate temara.brown General Discussion 73 02-04-2010 10:05 PM
The Coca-Cola Referendum - Get Informed! temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-02-2010 02:38 PM

Coca Cola Referendum!

Old 01-28-2010 at 09:44 AM   #121
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I know! All this effort was expended into getting rid of the contract but then hardly any, if not none at all, was put into bringing these "friendlier" options in. Not that I agree with these claims against coke anyways.

Bill Nye has a show that often brings up all of the kinds of products that aren't the most enviro-friendly out there. You can watch the Bill (Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill!), and then get options for all of the other products that have accusations against them.

Last edited by temara.brown : 01-28-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: link fail
Old 01-28-2010 at 10:44 AM   #122
thatdudeukno

OMGAWD. Seriously people don't have anything else better to do than worry about what sort of soda will be on shelves?
EDIT: Also if you don't like coke, go to the god damn grocery store. Nuff said.
Old 01-28-2010 at 11:48 AM   #123
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
OMGAWD. Seriously people don't have anything else better to do than worry about what sort of soda will be on shelves?
There is more to it than that...It's not just about the "sort of soda that will be on shelves".
Old 01-28-2010 at 03:44 PM   #124
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
If you actually read the two sides to the issue you would realize most of the concerns are of humanitarian and economic natures, not about the actual types of soda that would be available.
Old 01-28-2010 at 04:25 PM   #125
mike_2133

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaf View Post
I don't understand how your choices are cut in half. Coca Cola owns a lot of brands and I'm sure that on the 80% of shelf space that the other 20% of rbands doesn't equal those sold at Mac by Coca Cola

For example:
Coke (and all its varieties)
Canada Dry
Dasani
Barq's Root Beer
Sprite
Fruitopia
Full Throttle
Minute Maid
Nestea
Powerade
Simply**(as in Simply Orange, Simply Apple, etc.)
Vault
Vitamin Water

These are just the ones I can name off the top of my head that is a Coca Cola brand.
Also, Like Mr.Finlay said, there are price benefits to having a contract
Because there's a Pepsi version of all these things which some prefer. While some are comparable, we're cutting out good drinks like Gatorade, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, etc etc.

I say we can get an exclusive deal with Pizza Pizza so they can be the only food on campus..slices will be cheap though!!

Also, if we don't have a contract with Coke, why are we selling all Coke products on campus?
Old 01-28-2010 at 04:32 PM   #126
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_2133 View Post
Because there's a Pepsi version of all these things which some prefer. While some are comparable, we're cutting out good drinks like Gatorade, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, etc etc.

I say we can get an exclusive deal with Pizza Pizza so they can be the only food on campus..slices will be cheap though!!

Also, if we don't have a contract with Coke, why are we selling all Coke products on campus?

Dealing with one supplier is easier than dealing with multiple. The infrastructure is there, and so it is easier and cheaper. If you really want the pepsi drinks go a short trip off campus.
Old 01-28-2010 at 04:47 PM   #127
mike_2133

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
Dealing with one supplier is easier than dealing with multiple. The infrastructure is there, and so it is easier and cheaper. If you really want the pepsi drinks go a short trip off campus.
I really don't see how that is too difficult since there's a million businesses out there that sell Coke, Pepsi and whatever else and never heard of a problem.

I'm fine with Coke, I really don't care, it just seems silly to monopolize our choices when it comes to anything (food, drinks, whatever). It is especially ridiculous that 93% of our shelves is Coke when we have no economic benefits.
Old 01-28-2010 at 05:29 PM   #128
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
I really don't see how that is too difficult since there's a million businesses out there that sell Coke, Pepsi and whatever else and never heard of a problem.

I'm fine with Coke, I really don't care, it just seems silly to monopolize our choices when it comes to anything (food, drinks, whatever). It is especially ridiculous that 93% of our shelves is Coke when we have no economic benefits.
exactly, so if this is what is going to happen anyways, why not get some economic benefits out of it?
Old 01-28-2010 at 07:19 PM   #129
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:

It's exactly because there is a Pepsi and a Coke version of all "those things" that we don't have both now. It's not worth dealing with the two suppliers, and we might as well get the benefits of an exclusive contract.

The Pizza Pizza comparison is kinda off because it would only be supplying one sort of food, while Coke or Pepsi offer just about any sort of non-alcoholic beverage imaginable.
Old 01-28-2010 at 07:28 PM   #130
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I would be totally okay if all the school supplied was Coca Cola and Pizza Pizza. I only buy lunch at school once and week and unless I go to Bistro once in a while I generally get Pizza b/c I <3 Pizza, especially Pizza Pizza. Also I'm totally enthused about the new slices, those mini-pizzas were just okay, the slices (w/ green tabasco for an extra dose of yummy) are way better.

That's off topic though, I'm quite sure not everyone loves Pizza and Coke as much as I do.
Old 01-28-2010 at 10:33 PM   #131
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
On the topic of benefits/coke as a sponsor.. I'm in an events management post-grad and my class tonight was going on about the olympic torch relay. My prof is a guy who works for the City of Kitchener and had planned the huge celebration they had when the torch came to town. Coca Cola was one of the two main sponsors for the torch relay and my prof went on and on about how they're the ideal sponsor in every way. I lol'd to myself when he was saying this because of all the controversy over it at mac.
I just came back from another class with another prof and almost all different classmates. It came up AGAIN how coke is an awesome sponsor to work with. It was completely unprompted by me and sort of freaked me out. THIS ISSUE IS FOLLOWING ME EVERYWHERE!

Last edited by temara.brown : 01-28-2010 at 10:44 PM.