MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University vs. College - How different is it? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 05-01-2012 01:57 PM
Tutoring for College and University student ~*Sara*~ Academics 0 05-08-2011 12:27 PM
Transfer from college? Leibniz Academics 6 09-26-2010 09:17 PM
Transfer from college? Leibniz Introduce Yourself 2 09-08-2010 12:00 PM
College Transfer Question dan1991 General Discussion 2 11-13-2009 11:19 AM

College transfer question. (Niagara college pre health university)

Old 07-21-2013 at 12:10 AM   #1
APP_ Adrian

Liked: 0 Times

College transfer question. (Niagara college pre health university)
Hi I will be attending this program at Niagara college.

Niagara college Pre health science (university) certificate.

It's a 1 year general arts and certificate program.

What programs can I apply to after I finish this certificate??

I've contacted the health sciences people and they don't allow this certificate for admission to their BHSc program =(. However, I am personally interested in Mcmaster's Engineering programs and there Bachelor of Technology program. I want to take Math,Biology,physics, chemistry for medical school also. Anyways, will this certificate allow me to enroll in this OP university?

P.S

I find it neat that Mac has it's forum, (I wish Western had one of these )

P.P.S

The forums won't let me post a link =.=
Old 07-21-2013 at 01:50 AM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

It should allow links....

Take the eng program. There should be a link on mcmaster for list of transferrable courses. I doubt that program has any though.

APP_ Adrian says thanks to Leeoku for this post.

APP_ Adrian likes this.
Old 07-21-2013 at 08:52 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The BHSc program is direct entry from high school; you don't need post-secondary education to get in.

You can't post links yet because you need a minimum of 5 posts. You can post them with spaces though, and then people can just delete the spaces to get the link if you really need to post one.

I think you're kind of doing it backwards, you should think of where you want to end up and then figure out what you need to do to get there, not starting with a program and then hope that it will work out - especially because you DO seem to have an idea of where you want to end up. There's a world of difference between BHSc and Eng and BTech. It'll be much harder to get the med school prereqs in Eng or BTech, so you need to really consider if that's the appropriate route for you to take. If you want to do engineering as a back-up or something then sure, but it's definitely not the most efficient/easiest route to med school (and I don't just mean in terms of academics, I also mean getting all the courses that you want). Engineering in particular restricts what electives you can take, and I'm not sure the BTech equivalents for bio/chem work for med schools - that's something you'd need to check with each med school you apply to that has those requirements.

APP_ Adrian says thanks to starfish for this post.

APP_ Adrian likes this.
Old 07-21-2013
toplel
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-21-2013 at 08:42 PM   #4
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplel View Post
repeat grade 12 and stop wasting your parent's money. lol general arts.
That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. General arts/sci college programs is a good gateway to uni for people who didn't take U or M courses in high school. One of my first year TAs did that and is now doing her PhD. Also the person said they are taking pre-health sci, which is used to get into nursing.

There is more than one way to get to university just so y'know.

To the OP:
I'd check with the schools you're interested in applying to see what programs you'd be eligible for. Lots of people do college first and then follow it with a degree

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

APP_ Adrian says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.

APP_ Adrian, Quiver like this.
Old 07-22-2013 at 11:40 AM   #5
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

It really depends on the universities you're interested in applying to and the programs within them, as well as your grades. You can look all that up online. If you haven't already go here for McMaster admission info http://future.mcmaster.ca/admission/...-requirements/.

I did a one year General Arts and Science certificate at Mohawk College in order to get into Social Sciences at Mac because I didn't take U level courses in high school and decided I wanted to go to university. I didn't get any transfer credits but generally you won't for doing one year of college.

If you can't get into a specific program you want with the college certificate, you could look into the possibility of transferring into a different program after you've started university. A friend of mine took a similar path as me and then ended up shadowing and transferring into Environmental Science at Mac.

APP_ Adrian says thanks to dreamer21 for this post.

APP_ Adrian likes this.
Old 07-26-2013 at 12:29 AM   #6
APP_ Adrian

Hi guys, According to the registrar from other universities. Western,UOIT,,Brock,M ount A. and UPEI accept this niagara college certificate for admission. I think I will go to Western's bachelor of medical sciences program instead. However, I may contact Mcmasters admission office to see if they will accept this certificate (just in case I change my mind)

Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-21-2013 at 08:11 PM   #7
APP_ Adrian

Christabelle, if you find this thread make sure you reply back =D