MacInsiders Logo

How come Joe Kim can't pronounce Alzheimers ?

Old 02-05-2014 at 06:27 PM   #16
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

It has been pointed out to me that

Aloysius "Alois" Alzheimer (German pronunciation: [ˈaːloˌis ˈalts.haɪmɐ])

As you will note, there is a 't' in the IPA. Again. And note the origin: not English. Mayhaps Dr Kim has exposure to German or someone with the name?

This thread has educated me beyond my expectations. Thank you, OP.

EDIT: Oh, wow, look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sek4PJ17OqM

--chelseaa, anon491 all say thanks to Faer for this post.
Old 02-05-2014 at 10:16 PM   #17
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseamrae View Post
The grades in 1xo3 and 1xx3 usually conform to a bell curve, much like all other courses. So really, there is no reason for you to accuse me or anyone else of saying something about Joe Kim based on grades.

Attributing any statement about the class to someone's grades does not make sense because the grades are similarly distributed to the grades in other courses.

I have come across a # of blatant mistakes in the course material which I don't make posts about.

I think this is a question of his team not being brave enough to tell him there Z is not silent, and there is no T in the word.

English is not graphophonemically consistent, but I don't see how someone adds a T sound and drops the Z sound.

Maybe there is a neurological explanation ?

He sounds ridiculous saying ALTheimers. . The fact that no one bothers to tell him raises questions.
Haha sounds like someone is a little butt hurt over something so small.
Im taking a wild guess that you reported onedayy's comment, get a life. The fact that you are raging this hard over the pronunciation of a single word is pathetic really. So the guy has an accent or consistent mispronunciation of a word. I went through your posts in this thread and there are numerous grammatical/spelling errors. Does that warrant me making a thread? no. But it does make you look extremely foolish.. creating a thread to bash someones use of the english language while commiting your own mistakes in the same thread, priceless!
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:05 PM   #18
chelseamrae

Liked: Liked 3 Times

message too short

Last edited by chelseamrae : 02-06-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:12 PM   #19
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Okay, honest question: what did you hope to accomplish with this thread?

Your thread title is, "How come Joe Kim can't pronounce Alzheimers?" Many of the posts here have offered their thoughts and insights: different language of origin, cultural aspects, maybe it's on purpose, etc.

You accepted none of these and reacted rather vehemently and argumentatively to people trying to answer a question you posed. Yes, some people were rude about it, but that doesn't make their suggestions any less valid. However, you do not seem to be interested in actually exploring their ideas and instead just tell them they are wrong without suggesting anything yourself.

So obviously you don't actually care about any legitimate reasons the word is mispronounced.

Another option is that you came here to complain about Joe Kim and the way he runs the psychology course. Fair enough ... provided you actually have something of substance to say. Complaining about him mispronouncing a word does not count. In university, you will likely have many profs who are not native English speakers. I really hope that mispronounced words do not actually bother you to this extent.

Don't like online modules? Fine. Don't like the way the quizzes are run? Fine. Come right out and say it. But don't come under a completely different pretense of something frivolous and then get defensive when people don't read between the lines the way you want them to.

--chelseaa, anon491, Commie42 like this.
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:13 PM   #20
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Sorry, I am not happy to shell out 600 or so dollars to listen to someone say ALT-heimers.
Well, I feel sorry for you when you end up in a class with a foreign professor. If the mispronunciation of one word pains you so much, I don't know how you function day-to-day living in our society. It's not even a word that is commonly brought up in the course :/ sounds to me like you're just nitpicking so you can have a reason to resent Dr. Kim. And you're "advice" is just patronizing him. He needs help from an SLP? for the pronunciation of one word? please.

It's not very helpful to him that you're complaining about his mispronunciation behind his back on an online forum. Why don't you go tell him to his face that he needs help from an SLP?

Commie42 likes this.
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:30 PM   #21
chelseamrae

message too short

Old 02-05-2014 at 11:42 PM   #22
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
It was Feb 6th. On Feb 6th you are supposed to air your grievances. A tradition know as the “airing of grievances. ”

Seriously, I thought at least some people would agree that they should put a little more care into preparing the narration. There are something like 2000 students enrolled. I would think at 600$ a head they could be a little more conscientious. Especially because you have to be conscientious to do well in the course.

Judging by the comments on my poor grammar, some people think that certain people are not entitled to complain when there are problems with a product they purchased.

I paid over 600 $ to take that course. There have been numerous mistakes that I won't point out in the interest of my anonymity, because I have mentioned them elsewhere.

I know that I would sound catty bringing up this issue in an official capacity.

I just find it ironic, that you have to be so well versed in minutia to do well in this course, yet Joe and Friends make errors left right and centre, and this is somehow acceptable. Even applauded it seems.
I've never heard of this tradition. I Googled it and it told me that it is a parody holiday popularized by Seinfeld celebrated on December 23. I'm not sure if that's the same as what you're referring to, but it was the first few hits on Google.

Sure, I can see how you could think they were careless in the preparation. But how far in the thread did it get before you started saying anything even resembling a complaint about the lack of care in his modules? How were people supposed to agree with something as broad as that when you spent half the thread complaining about exactly one little thing without ever hinting at the broader reason why it bothered you?

Yes, you can complain about a product you purchased. But usually it's best to only complain when it actually, you know, impairs its function. It's like sending your cheeseburger back because your slice of cheese wasn't exactly cut in a square. If you can understand what he's saying easily and he's getting the point across, does it really matter if he pronounces it oddly? (And yes, if he's not effectively teaching you, that is another story and a valid complain ... but it also has nothing to do with the way he pronounces Alzheimer's.)

If you want a complaint to be effectively, I would recommend at least trying to give the appearance of objectivity. It's pretty obvious you have gripes with Joe Kim and the psychology department.
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:42 PM   #23
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Yes, I acknowledged that English is not graphophonemically consistent. German is and Italian are that's the difference. You brought that up after I stated English is not graphophonemically consistent. So making these points about other languages may be informative to others, but I am acutely aware of this fact.

There are things I resent about being required to take 1xx3 and 1xo3, however, I got a good mark in 1xx3.

I acknowledge that I have poor grammar, but no one is being forced to lay out over 1200 dollars to read my writing or listen to my narration.

The least they could do is make it available in text format, so students could read the narration if they wanted to.

The reason they don't even make the slides available in PPT or PDF format is due to a fear of copy right infringement accusations, and you can confirm that with the intro psych office.

I acknowledged that it is a commonly mispronounced word. The fact remains that his elocution would not be rated very highly. I feel strongly that this is the case.

I am ESL if you apply the same definition, as a previous poster has applied. In fact I would be ESL to a higher degree using the same definition.

It is interesting how everyone wants to say he has an accent, and effectively make it about his cultural origin. He does not have an accent, I don't think he would agree that he has an accent.

They could easily have someone else narrate, but Joe chooses narrate because it is a means to an ends for Joe. It is to Joe's advantage to do the narration, the decision is not made based on the best interest of students.

He could benefit from working with an SLP. And no not everyone who works with an SLP has a speech impediment, people also do it for self improvement.

He is obviously very personable and charismatic, that is very evident. From you impassioned drive to come to his defense.

Yes, I did report that post because I really don't want to stoop to the level of posting my grades. I know my GPA puts me in the top 15 percent of my faculty, as I got a letter from Golden Key stating this last summer. My GPA is more than high enough to be on Dean's list. On top of that my grade in 1xo3 was higher than my GPA. So if 1xx3 really grinds my gears it has nothing to do with grades.

Sorry, I am not happy to shell out 600 or so dollars to listen to someone say ALT-heimers.
You do realize that you could click the "notes" tab and have everything he says written down in text format without having to listen to his voice. For someone who brags about being in the top 15% with their GPA, you really show little intelligence. Thank goodness interviews are becoming more important in grad schools.
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:49 PM   #24
Danielrus

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...6.html?t=90746

And here's proof you're a rotten liar. You're in the middle of taking this course right now, so drop all that nonsense of you acting all big with your supreme GPA. Joe Kim probably owned you in a test so you're all upset now.
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:49 PM   #25
chelseamrae

message too short

Old 02-05-2014 at 11:51 PM   #26
chelseamrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielrus View Post
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...6.html?t=90746

And here's proof you're a rotten liar. You're in the middle of taking this course right now, so drop all that nonsense of you acting all big with your supreme GPA. Joe Kim probably owned you in a test so you're all upset now.
I said 1xo3. if I did not, I meant to. I only have a grade in 1xo3. I only have grades back for 3 quizzes and the 1st third of the tutorial in 1xx3.
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:54 PM   #27
Danielrus

"
There are things I resent about being required to take 1xx3 and 1xo3, however, I got a good mark in 1xx3"
as written above
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:57 PM   #28
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
The SLP comment is not about one issue, there are multiple issues that I won't raise. You get more insight into some of the issues if you watch his Ted talk.

On the spectrum of “foreign” I am more foreign than Joe, because I am not even Canadian born.

There is a condition called Misophonia, shouldn’t that just be common knowledge to a PNB major ? Shouldn’t said PNB major know its not something to laugh at ?

This “foreign” girl (visible minority) could easily report you to the psych department and the human rights office.

I did find all of the suggestions plausible, I will go back and reply to a few. Anyways back to FanFic, things are heating up between Joe and his new spicey Latin friend Miguel, as they explore the San Francisco. Ironically, Miguel is studying to become an SLP and a lot of (hypothetical) insight will emerge from the Joe / Miguel saga.
No, I've never heard of Misophonia, although i began to suspect that you had some specific reason that you are so hung up on the mispronounciation of one word. Sorry that i'm not all-knowledgeable in every aspect of psychology, neuroscience & behaviour. I suppose in 3 years of study I'm expected to know the contents of every book and the name of every neurological disorder out there.

Furthermore, I never made fun of you. You never once pointed out that you HAVE a condition, so your claim that you could report me to the human rights office lacks all credibility. What exactly are you going to report me for? And in addition, you're the one who made a complaint thread against Joe Kim on an online forum, so I'm not sure why you think the psychology department would support you. If you're going to make complaints about a professor behind his back where he has no ability to speak up for himself, of course people are going to defend him.

And fun fact: I'm a non-canadian-born visible minority too, so playing that card is pointless

p.s., by "foreign" I was generally referring to professors who have prominent foreign accents. How can you take classes with them? Don't their mispronunciations bother you? I'm honestly very curious, I don't mean to come across as rude.
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:57 PM   #29
chelseamrae

message too short

Last edited by chelseamrae : 02-06-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2014 at 11:59 PM   #30
chelseamrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielrus View Post
"
There are things I resent about being required to take 1xx3 and 1xo3, however, I got a good mark in 1xx3"
as written above
well that was an honest mistake, others have pointed out there were errors in my writing. I think I all but explicitly said I am currently enrolled in the 1xx3. and now I have explicitly said it.