MacInsiders Logo

How come Joe Kim can't pronounce Alzheimers ?

Old 02-06-2014 at 12:03 AM   #31
chelseamrae

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
No, I've never heard of Misophonia, although i began to suspect that you had some specific reason that you are so hung up on the mispronounciation of one word. Sorry that i'm not all-knowledgeable in every aspect of psychology, neuroscience & behaviour. I suppose in 3 years of study I'm expected to know the contents of every book and the name of every neurological disorder out there.

Furthermore, I never made fun of you. You never once pointed out that you HAVE a condition, so your claim that you could report me to the human rights office lacks all credibility. What exactly are you going to report me for? And in addition, you're the one who made a complaint thread against Joe Kim on an online forum, so I'm not sure why you think the psychology department would support you. If you're going to make complaints about a professor behind his back where he has no ability to speak up for himself, of course people are going to defend him.

And fun fact: I'm a non-canadian-born visible minority too, so playing that card is pointless

p.s., by "foreign" I was generally referring to professors who have prominent foreign accents. How can you take classes with them? Don't their mispronunciations bother you? I'm honestly very curious, I don't mean to come across as rude.
I honestly have not had one, my partner has a pretty prominent foreign accent. although his 1st language is an indo European language. But I disagree that JK has an accent.
Old 02-06-2014 at 12:07 AM   #32
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseamrae View Post
I honestly have not had one, my partner has a pretty prominent foreign accent. although his 1st language is an indo European language. But I disagree that JK has an accent.
Interesting.
And I'm not saying he has an accent. I'm trying to say that people with heavy foreign accents (ex. indian, japanese, french, etc.) mispronounce words too. So having one of those people as a professor must be many times worse than having a professor who just mispronounces one word consistently.
Old 02-06-2014 at 12:10 AM   #33
chelseamrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielrus View Post
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...6.html?t=90746

And here's proof you're a rotten liar. You're in the middle of taking this course right now, so drop all that nonsense of you acting all big with your supreme GPA. Joe Kim probably owned you in a test so you're all upset now.

Wow, you should write the LSAT. You must be outstanding at logic problems. Yes, I am trying to hide something I explicitly stated.

Its not the more logical explanation that I got one character wrong. No wonder you're a scientist.

Especially since I have all of a 10 posts , dating back a week. (I am prepared to be called a trisomy 21 liar bc I got the numbers wrong.)
Old 02-06-2014 at 12:21 AM   #34
chelseamrae

Quote:

And here's proof you're a rotten liar. You're in the middle of taking this course right now, so drop all that nonsense of you acting all big with your supreme GPA. Joe Kim probably owned you in a test so you're all upset now.
I see back in April you were telling us all about how your ultimate goal was med school. How's that working out for you D? I heard there is a program at Mac that has an over 90 percent acceptance rate to med school. Why aren't you in that program D ?

Logically that would be the program you would be in ? Well I guess med school in the Caribbean or Poland will be super fun.

Plus, you are such an accent aficionado. (again Joe Kim does not have an accent in my opinion, but many of you say he does so....)

Last edited by chelseamrae : 02-06-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2014 at 12:51 AM   #35
chelseamrae

Quote:

I was pretty upset about that 7 out of 10 on that quiz worth 2 percent of my grade. But apparently there is a mechanism to drop that grade now. (I was upset.)

Seriously, D I see you are online why don't you come and tell us all how your medical school aspirations are working out for you ?

Poland is going to be awesome. I am sure.
Old 02-06-2014 at 12:55 AM   #36
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseamrae View Post
I see back in April you were telling us all about how your ultimate goal was med school. How's that working out for you D? I heard there is a program at Mac that has an over 90 percent acceptance rate to med school. Why aren't you in that program D ?

Logically that would be the program you would be in ? Well I guess med school in the Caribbean or Poland will be super fun.

Plus, you are such an accent aficionado. (again Joe Kim does not have an accent in my opinion, but many of you say he does so....)
lol i simply never applied to health sci mainly because I had no idea what I wanted to do after university and didn't research anything about about that program. BTW med school in Poland is truly terrible, couldn't dream of applying there. After completing it I would be able to apply for licensing anywhere in the US (including California), Canada, and all of Europe as well as the chance to do my final year at UCLA. Not to mention, I'd be paying a lot less for tuition than anywhere else. Really sounds dreadful to me, no way I'd want to do that.
Old 02-06-2014 at 01:06 AM   #37
chelseamrae

Quote:
lol i simply never applied to health sci mainly because I had no idea what I wanted to do after university and didn't research anything about about that program. BTW med school in Poland is truly terrible, couldn't dream of applying there. After completing it I would be able to apply for licensing anywhere in the US (including California), Canada, and all of Europe as well as the chance to do my final year at UCLA. Not to mention, I'd be paying a lot less for tuition than anywhere else. Really sounds dreadful to me, no way I'd want to do that.
I told you. I am sure Poland will be awesome. who doesn't like cabbage rolls ?

the vestiges from Chernobyl ( I am sure they made their way from the Ukraine by now) i'm a bit iffy on those.

But can I call em' or what ? it sounds like you had given thought to the Poland idea as early as JK.
Old 02-06-2014 at 01:15 AM   #38
chelseamrae

The airing of grievances is real.

There is also another tradition known as poo-boo-ween. See poo-boo-ween operates on the premise that Halloween costumes are really much scarier when its not Oct. 31st. In fact they are much scarier in the summer. So on poo-boo-ween you break out the scariest Halloween costume you got and you essentially scare people to the best of your ability.

The poo part, well that comes from the first poo-boo-ween where a hand full of people became incontinent of both stool and urine. But pee-boo-ween never caught on as the name.

Anyone can join in the poo-boo-ween fun, but they don't announce the date of poo-boo-ween until September.

Poo-boo-ween 2014 !!! can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
I've never heard of this tradition. I Googled it and it told me that it is a parody holiday popularized by Seinfeld celebrated on December 23. I'm not sure if that's the same as what you're referring to, but it was the first few hits on Google.

Sure, I can see how you could think they were careless in the preparation. But how far in the thread did it get before you started saying anything even resembling a complaint about the lack of care in his modules? How were people supposed to agree with something as broad as that when you spent half the thread complaining about exactly one little thing without ever hinting at the broader reason why it bothered you?

Yes, you can complain about a product you purchased. But usually it's best to only complain when it actually, you know, impairs its function. It's like sending your cheeseburger back because your slice of cheese wasn't exactly cut in a square. If you can understand what he's saying easily and he's getting the point across, does it really matter if he pronounces it oddly? (And yes, if he's not effectively teaching you, that is another story and a valid complain ... but it also has nothing to do with the way he pronounces Alzheimer's.)

If you want a complaint to be effectively, I would recommend at least trying to give the appearance of objectivity. It's pretty obvious you have gripes with Joe Kim and the psychology department.
Old 02-06-2014 at 01:20 AM   #39
chelseamrae

Quote:
i'm always amazed at all the people who assert they turned health sci down , or claim they felt it was beneath them to apply to health sci. the numbers never seem to quite add up.

you sure were quick to guess what program I was referring to for someone who never even gave it the time of day.

D you're an enigma wrapped in a riddle surrounded by mystery, then loving wrapped in a cabbage roll by your babcia.

And I think Poland sounds like its right up your alley.
Old 02-06-2014 at 01:34 AM   #40
Wolf

Liked: 0 Times

I really don't see why you are still going on about this because unless you have a "legitimate" concern, starting a thread called "How come Joe Kim can't pronounce Alzheimers ?" and then arguing with people over something pretty insignificant, makes you look incredibly ridiculous. Currently, it still seems as if you are still mad over your bad quiz grade and while in the process of attempting to take it out on everyone, making a mockery out of yourself. Until you bring something valid to discuss, I'd strongly suggest you stop. Also, I personally people who were in health sci and have transferred out, so stop criticizing other people before you actually know what everyone's situation is like. Lastly, psych 1XX3 is not absolutely required unless you want to get into Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour, if so, why didn't you take it last year?

I highly recommend you making your own notes and rereading them right before doing your quizzes. They are pretty easy to do well. That should also help you out immensely on studying for the final. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2014 at 01:36 AM   #41
rtongsta

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
Yes, you can complain about a product you purchased. But usually it's best to only complain when it actually, you know, impairs its function. It's like sending your cheeseburger back because your slice of cheese wasn't exactly cut in a square. .
this sums up the thread pretty well
Old 02-06-2014 at 02:27 AM   #42
chelseamrae

I'm super jealous of Danielrus. Considering when most people think Poland they think death camps, they think Auschwitz. Not Danielrus, no sir he thinks medical school.

Fun fact Poland refuses to recognize the Holocaust ever happened. Yet, they are more than happy with the money visits to the death camps brings into Poland. So that's a pretty dubious distinction right there.

And then you got the fact that anyone one w. a degree or community college diploma of any sort is welcome to a seat in one of their prestigious medical schools.

Its a wonder everyone doesn’t go to medical school in Poland.

All I've got to say is - 4 for you Danielrus Coco, you go Danielrus Coco !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I really don't see why you are still going on about this because unless you have a "legitimate" concern, starting a thread called "How come Joe Kim can't pronounce Alzheimers ?" and then arguing with people over something pretty insignificant, makes you look incredibly ridiculous. Currently, it still seems as if you are still mad over your bad quiz grade and while in the process of attempting to take it out on everyone, making a mockery out of yourself. Until you bring something valid to discuss, I'd strongly suggest you stop. Also, I personally people who were in health sci and have transferred out, so stop criticizing other people before you actually know what everyone's situation is like. Lastly, psych 1XX3 is not absolutely required unless you want to get into Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour, if so, why didn't you take it last year?

I highly recommend you making your own notes and rereading them right before doing your quizzes. They are pretty easy to do well. That should also help you out immensely on studying for the final. Good luck!

Last edited by chelseamrae : 02-06-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2014 at 04:06 AM   #43
chelseamrae

Quote:

I did in fact drink the kool aid etc etc. but if you think a 9.5 GPA is all that jazz, then its no wonder you're going to the Josef Mengele school of medicine in Poland. Best wishes

For the record Little D, I stated multiple times I am enrolled in 1xx3. I think that was clear to anyone who is literate.

You should be evaluated for a reading comprehension issue.
Old 02-06-2014 at 04:08 AM   #44
chelseamrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty1 View Post
why does it matter? people have accents
I drank the kool aid etc etc. but as a Joe Kim well wisher I must tell you he does not have an accent. He would find the statement that he has an accent offensive.
Old 02-06-2014 at 04:09 AM   #45
chelseamrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty1 View Post
why does it matter? people have accents

he does not have an accent, mispronouncing a word or several words does not constitute an accent. it is mischaracterizing him to say he has an accent.