MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When Can We Select Courses? Gorn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-11-2012 06:25 PM
Commerce Level 3 Courses commie6666 Academics 2 09-20-2011 11:04 PM
Can business level 1 student take commerce 2XX3 courses? littlewood Academics 3 07-09-2011 10:28 AM
When do i select courses??? RyanB Academics 2 06-03-2011 11:54 AM
Can commerce student do minor in Finance ?? ruby101 Academics 2 02-26-2011 04:30 PM

As commerce student do I select 11 courses?

Old 06-25-2012 at 03:58 PM   #1
gabbynelly

Liked: 1 Time

As commerce student do I select 11 courses?
I noticed that Commerce 1PA0 has no units... in the course registration video it said I should register for 30 units. Does that mean I should add 11 courses to SOLAR seeing that it will give me 30 units?

Does it cost extra money to register for more courses? Is the tuition the same as long as you are below 30?
Old 06-25-2012 at 03:59 PM   #2
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

yes you will register for 11 courses including comm 1pa0. all together you will have 30 units. yes the tuition fee will be the same for 30 units

gabbynelly says thanks to icecubz for this post.
Old 06-25-2012 at 04:05 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbynelly View Post
I noticed that Commerce 1PA0 has no units... in the course registration video it said I should register for 30 units. Does that mean I should add 11 courses to SOLAR seeing that it will give me 30 units?

Does it cost extra money to register for more courses? Is the tuition the same as long as you are below 30?
The tuition is by # of units, so the 0 unit course wouldn't have tuition. So 27 units of courses would pay less than 30, not that anything below 30 units is a set amount of tuition.

Tuition for the upcoming year per unit is calculated by faculty as follows: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...13/pg2013.html
(+ the supplementary fees)

gabbynelly says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-25-2012 at 04:12 PM   #4
gabbynelly

Oh... so do you recommend I take less courses to save money ? Or should I just take the recommended 30?
Old 06-25-2012 at 04:29 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Oh... so do you recommend I take less courses to save money ? Or should I just take the recommended 30?
You need to take the 30 units (11 courses) to move onto second year. If you take less than 30 units (11 courses) in first year, you will not move onto second year so it isn't really a recommended amount and is more of a mandatory amount.
Old 06-25-2012 at 10:20 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Oh no, that's not what I meant. What I meant was that part-time students and full time students don't pay the same amount, and its based on the # of courses you take. You should still take 30 because you have to finish 120 credits total for an Honours degree, so its best to split it 30 each year,unless you take summer school or something!
Old 06-25-2012 at 10:40 PM   #7
Phaint0m
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
You need to take the 30 units (11 courses) to move onto second year. If you take less than 30 units (11 courses) in first year, you will not move onto second year so it isn't really a recommended amount and is more of a mandatory amount.
This is a completely incorrect statement. You can still move onto level II if you complete all the required courses in commerce. Often people put off electives. However, I advise completing all 30 units especially in first year.
Old 06-26-2012 at 07:35 AM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint0m View Post
This is a completely incorrect statement. You can still move onto level II if you complete all the required courses in commerce. Often people put off electives. However, I advise completing all 30 units especially in first year.
What I meant to say is that you still aren't really done your first year until you have completed the 30 units you are supposed to complete (mandatory + electives). Sure, you can move onto second year if you have completed the mandatory courses, but you still have last year's electives over your head + the second year mandatory & electives, so I wouldn't really consider that being "done" first year since you have 'leftovers'.
Old 06-26-2012 at 08:00 AM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^i wouldnt call them 'first year electives'. you can do them anytime before your undergrad is done and they don't even need to be first year.
Old 06-26-2012 at 08:28 AM   #10
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
^i wouldnt call them 'first year electives'. you can do them anytime before your undergrad is done and they don't even need to be first year.
I never called them first year electives.
Old 06-26-2012 at 11:25 AM   #11
Phaint0m
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
What I meant to say is that you still aren't really done your first year until you have completed the 30 units you are supposed to complete (mandatory + electives). Sure, you can move onto second year if you have completed the mandatory courses, but you still have last year's electives over your head + the second year mandatory & electives, so I wouldn't really consider that being "done" first year since you have 'leftovers'.
You are done your first year because it is no longer first year and you got into Level II. I get what you're saying but its way too ubiquitous to speak to a new student in the manner you are. Why aren't you giving them all the information when you know they are going to pass off everything you say as fact?
Old 06-26-2012 at 01:42 PM   #12
gabbynelly

I'm confused... so I think you're saying I need 120 units to graduate? 30 per year...

no I don't really know what you're saying, I know in high school you need 30 credits to graduate though!!

Please clarify thanks.
Old 06-26-2012 at 01:47 PM   #13
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Here's how commerce works. Like all other programs you need a 120 credits to graduate. You can move into level 2 commerce by completing 24 units. However, you will not be accepted into third year commerce until you have the required 60 units done. If you choose to not take a full course load, you will have to take the extra course/courses either during the summer term following the 2012/2013 session or the year after that. To reiterate, take a full course load, it will make your life easier.

gabbynelly says thanks to fasailuddin for this post.
Old 06-26-2012 at 01:50 PM   #14
gabbynelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
Here's how commerce works. Like all other programs you need a 120 credits to graduate. You can move into level 2 commerce by completing 24 units. However, you will not be accepted into third year commerce until you have the required 60 units done. If you choose to not take a full course load, you will have to take the extra course/courses either during the summer term following the 2012/2013 session or the year after that. To reiterate, take a full course load, it will make your life easier.
Ohh okay thanks a lot for that. I just wanted to see if I could get away with paying less but I guess not :(.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 06-26-2012 at 01:57 PM   #15
Phaint0m
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
However, you will not be accepted into third year commerce until you have the required 60 units done.
This is still untrue. You only need to complete the prerequisite courses to get into Level III. There is no "60 units must be completed" rule. Electives or courses such as Economics 2X03 can be completed at any time.

Quote:
Ohh okay thanks a lot for that. I just wanted to see if I could get away with paying less but I guess not :(.
There is no work around of paying less or else everyone would do it and it would be a foolish system. In the end you are paying the exact same as anyone else in Commerce for your degree (barring any cancellations). You seem to also be confused as to how units work. Courses such as Commerce 1E03 have 3 units, the last digit of a course code is how many units its worth. Being in Commerce almost all your classes will have 3 units. 10 classes a year = 30 units. Some of your electives may be 6 units, meaning they last 2 semesters. The easy way to think of these classes for calculating your cumulative average or total units is to think of them as 2 separate classes of 3 units with the same grade.