MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
welcome day tomorrow! littleluzer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-06-2010 12:30 AM
Welcome Day is Tomorrow! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-06-2010 12:01 AM
regarding tomorrow blackdragon Academics 4 08-10-2009 04:04 PM
Welcome Day Tomorrow! Chad General Discussion 9 08-10-2007 11:22 PM

Commutting Today, Near Campus Tomorrow?

Old 07-04-2009 at 10:01 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
If I applied for OSAP again...then

A. Am I still considered for the QE Scholarship?
B. I think I'd use my extra money (allotted for food and whatnot) for commuting expenses. Except for laundry. My "apartment" would only be used for proximity purpose. (Laundry I'd definitely do. Browser isn't letting me go back up and edit). and I meant to say purposes*. It would be lifeless and dull, just the way I like it
LMfao no but you know what I mean

C. If I applied for residence...would I get the "worst" pick?
A. If you attained a 9.5 (McMaster also has to receive your supporting documents before July 17th)

C. If you apply now you'll be on the waiting list and will get any room that opens up. But you'll be pretty far down that list, so I don't know the chances of getting a room.
Old 07-05-2009 at 05:31 PM   #17
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Plus there is also mississauga ticket cost. (Unless you get a ride to go station).

Hmm commuting is not that bad from mississauga, but if you have night classes it kind of sucks.. I commuted first year and most days I was home by 2 or 3. (first year timetables tend to be flexible because lots of classes are offered at 4 different times) Maybe you can try to manage in first year and then work in summer and get a place in hamilton in upper years when your schedule may not be so flexible. That's my plan

EDIT

I think it would be easier to get residence in term 2 because lots of people on the waiting list probably would give up and find their own place by then.

Last edited by sinthusized : 07-05-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2009 at 06:06 PM   #18
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Plus there is also mississauga ticket cost. (Unless you get a ride to go station).
Oops I completely forgot about that. My house was at a walking distance from square one so I never really had to worry about taking mississauga transit.
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:14 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Wow these numbers are huge.. to be spent on transportation as well.. but I think it's best to do what Sinthu suggested.. and commute first year.. or even first semester.. and try it out.. if not you can go on the residence waiting list.. or apply next year.. and there's always off campus housing
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:31 PM   #20
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Get on the residence waiting list right now!

You never know what you could be offered, no harm in just getting on the list

goodnews.inc says thanks to .:callen:. for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:39 PM   #21
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

How would I go about doing that?
Is the deposit still required?
And that was a really unique way of putting it Callen thanks

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-05-2009 at 07:48 PM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

you don't have to pay the deposit. And I believe you just fill in the online housing application at : https://residence.mcmaster.ca /Defa...X7VeZs0 4E%3d

You can also try calling the residence office to see if you have a chance to make it into residence by september or not, depending on the waiting list.

goodnews.inc says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:50 PM   #23
Student Senator '08-'10

Here's the link to the application portal https://residence.mcmaster.ca /
You should be able to log in and follow the instructions from there.

You don't have to submit a deposit since you're just applying to the waiting list.

Let me know if it works

goodnews.inc says thanks to .:callen:. for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 07:53 PM   #24
Student Senator '08-'10

Lol Sara is too fast for me

You should get your waiting list number as well as soon as you apply. That should give you an idea of what your chances are of getting a room by September.

A lot of people do drop so don't worry if you have a really high number. People decide to defer their acceptance, people cancel their application on the waiting list, and people awaiting their marks to come through to secure their guaranteed room (like me and nino haha)
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:12 PM   #25
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I have to wait till tomorrow till my contact info is updated

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-05-2009 at 08:22 PM   #26
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Hmmm, I still think that's a bit high for Hamilton... You can definitively find a place for much cheaper.
500's not bad for a 1-bedroom apartment. Depends on how much you like your peace and quiet.

@goodnews.inc: When you were filling out OSAP, were you declared a dependent? Namely, did your parents have to put in their financial information? (ie. you're out of highschool for less than four years, live with your parents, have a more or less 'normal situation')

If so, then you have to be careful...I tried 'moving closer' to avoid the commute, but because I live less than 40 km away from Mac, I was denied all funding...so I decided to stay home, haha. (They ask on your application)

It's a linear distance too! Which makes no sense. Make sure you take that into account before messing with your application!

But if you're a sufficient distance away, then definitely drop into SFAS and let them know. They're very helpful (:

goodnews.inc says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:31 PM   #27
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Hi Mike,
I live within the 40 km (just looked it up on Google maps) and I am a dependent. Am I not eligible then? Should I still call SFAS tomorrow?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-05-2009 at 09:58 PM   #28
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

[quote=callender;62310 ]Lol Sara is too fast for me

quote]

Haha Callen! I love how we both said the same thing.. in different words.. Great minds think alike ?
Old 07-05-2009 at 10:15 PM   #29
aani

Liked: 9 Times

Applying to rez
Hey!

I applied in June last year as an upper year (and our deadline was like Feb/March) and I got a room in October...so apply now! Your deadline was way more recent...and in terms of commuting, it was do-able (I commuted from Mississauga first year but I had a ride to Square one everyday)...but at the same time, being on rez has its comforts. Pros and cons for both lol....just figure out if you have to pay the deposit for rez (i kind of remember i had to) and then see what happens from there
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:02 PM   #30
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Hi Mike,
I live within the 40 km (just looked it up on Google maps) and I am a dependent. Am I not eligible then? Should I still call SFAS tomorrow?
I would definitely recommend calling them anyway (better yet, go in and see them in person and speak to a counsellor at SFAS...no appointment required).

There are some exceptional circumstances for which funding can be provided but it's kind of a pain and I didn't bother getting it done (things like needing a note from a physician)...but maybe something can be done!

There are different 'excuses' you can give as to why commuting will be 'bad for you', though they may be more mental anguish, shortage of beds, or other of these sorts of reasons.

Go in and ask, maybe you can work something out.