MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cults of North America Katia Academics 18 01-06-2010 08:17 PM
Guide to Successfully Find Off Campus Housing u.yousaf Residence & Off-Campus Living 7 07-29-2009 02:38 PM
North America = One Nation? lorend Misc 0 01-26-2008 01:13 PM

Congratulations America. You've successfully industrialized life.

Old 11-24-2010 at 09:49 PM   #16
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
I was actually going to mention that, but I thought that it would have brought up a religious debate. Now that it's been mentioned, please keep religious arguments out of this thread.

The halal manner of killing is the most humane way to kill an animal. The animal feels almost no pain whatsoever because of the nerve and blood vessel that are cut, which cuts off all 'feeling' in the entire body. Death is quick, short, and painless.

And don't bring up the argument that it's not possible to halal all meat. Because if Saudi can manage to provide halal meat to 27 million people, more advanced countries with more resources should have no problem in doing so for a larger population.

I'm not saying halal is the way to go for everyone. I'm not saying that everyone should eat halal. I'm just saying that there are more humane, yet economically feasible ways to slaughter an animal.
Agreed, this is not about religion. But only the way that a certain religion humanely kills an animal.

But then again, why would most people care? We're ****ing destroying the world one day at a time with deforestation, oil rigs, pollution, etc..
It all comes down to one thing. People want to live. Live a life of luxury and that requires money. And money brings forth greed.

Their solution? Cheapest, most cost effective way to yield profit and revenue in order to minimize their costs, while filling their fat wallets.
Old 11-24-2010
manap3000
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-24-2010 at 10:41 PM   #17
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

@manap3000 western societies have ruined the world .. thats all i have to say
Old 11-24-2010 at 11:02 PM   #18
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

This makes me wanna stop eating meat :(
Old 11-24-2010 at 11:16 PM   #19
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

A lot of hypocrites here .. there is no 'humane' way to go about killing turkey, or any animal for that matter. Even though they could make it less gruosome the fact of the matter is they're still killing them.

In their corporate eyes, if they start trying to make it more and more humane, in the end it'll get to a point where they can't kill em' anymore.

Just saying, it's been happening for a while and will definetely continue thanks to capitalism =D
Old 11-24-2010 at 11:19 PM   #20
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Not gonna lie, that vid was cool.
Old 11-24-2010 at 11:26 PM   #21
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
A lot of hypocrites here .. there is no 'humane' way to go about killing turkey, or any animal for that matter. Even though they could make it less gruosome the fact of the matter is they're still killing them.

In their corporate eyes, if they start trying to make it more and more humane, in the end it'll get to a point where they can't kill em' anymore.

Just saying, it's been happening for a while and will definetely continue thanks to capitalism =D
There is no hypocrisy.You have just mis-defined humane and inhumane.

Killing does not mean inhumane. To be inhumane is a state without compassion for misery or suffering; cruel (check the dictionary). In this case, to kill mercilessly.

Similarly, to be humane does not mean you have to avoid killing an animal.

Since 'who knew when', organisms have been killing other organisms to obtain food. We kill for food. Or at least we're supposed to. Sadly, humans have industrialized the process, and are now killing for money.

Our manner of killing is now inhumane. But killing ≠ inhumane. Take a look at the halalling process previously mentioned. It demands that we show compassion for the animal being killed.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 11-24-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2010 at 11:28 PM   #22
Sasha

Quote:
There is no hypocrisy. Killing does not mean inhumane. Similarly, to be humane does not mean you have to avoid killing an animal. Since who knew when, organisms have been killing other organisms to obtain food. We kill for food. Or at least we're supposed to. Sadly, humans have industrialized the process, and are now killing for money. Our manner of killing is now inhumane. But killing ≠ inhumane.
When then what's your suggestion? Do we put them in huge gas chambers? What I'm trying to say is no matter what changes, as long as people kill animals for food, there will always be documentaries like this. It might be a bit lower key but still.
Old 11-24-2010 at 11:33 PM   #23
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
When then what's your suggestion? Do we put them in huge gas chambers? What I'm trying to say is no matter what changes, as long as people kill animals for food, there will always be documentaries like this. It might be a bit lower key but still.
See my edit. And these posts - [1] [2].

And I need not provide a suggestion. A change in the manner of killing does not necessarily mean an alternative method. There needs to be a change in morals. This isn't based in the food industry. This is based in the Westernization of mankind. In the growing greed.

But you want a suggestion? Just stop treating the animals like shit...literal shit.

They can feel. They have a nervous system.

A simple thing...why not cut off their toes AFTER they've been killed? String them up by their necks AFTER they've been killed. When they can't feel anymore.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 11-24-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2010 at 11:39 PM   #24
Sasha

I didn't mean keep torturing them, just saying that nothing much will change either way.

And I still didn't understand why cut the toes :s
Old 11-24-2010 at 11:42 PM   #25
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
And I still didn't understand why cut the toes :s
I think it has to do with draining the blood from the body while they're on the conveyer belt. While they're still alive they have the blood drained from them. So that after they're killed, there isn't a waiting time for the blood to drain. It's just skinning, washing, and deep freeze.
Old 11-25-2010 at 12:00 AM   #26
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
There needs to be a change in morals. This isn't based in the food industry. This is based in the Westernization of mankind. In the growing greed.

I think killing an animal so you can have a meal that arguably tastes better is a much bigger example of greed than using inhumane treatment to have a slightly higher profit margin. I'm not trying to lessen the importance of reducing animal cruelty, but if you can justify killing an animal, it isn't that much of a leap to justify treating it like, well, shit. If you don't care whether it lives or dies, why do care whether it's in pain or not?
Old 11-25-2010 at 12:05 AM   #27
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

@silent my rant was fully based on the vid. some1 didnt even watch the vid
Old 11-25-2010 at 12:19 AM   #28
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I think killing an animal so you can have a meal that arguably tastes better is a much bigger example of greed than using inhumane treatment to have a slightly higher profit margin. I'm not trying to lessen the importance of reducing animal cruelty, but if you can justify killing an animal, it isn't that much of a leap to justify treating it like, well, shit. If you don't care whether it lives or dies, why do care whether it's in pain or not?
This lies in one's beliefs as to whether or not other animals serve the purpose of food, and are part of the food chain. Just as animals eat other animals to survive, they in turn will be eaten. And I see absolutely no problem with that.

Death happens, and death by being eaten is natural (meaning it occurs in nature, and will occur regardless of what we will). We are just a part of this process. This topic, however, does not deal with that. It deals with the industrialization of this process; when it is no longer 'natural'.

We could spend whole day arguing whether eating animals is right or not and still be at square one. Besides, that argument on the internet is tantamount to a discussion on religion or sexual orientation.

Fact is, it happens. And it's easier to change the manner in which we kill the animal rather than to totally stop killing animals for food.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 11-25-2010 at 12:38 AM.

camais likes this.
Old 11-25-2010 at 12:26 AM   #29
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I watched the video and have a point to add on the cruelty. When the lasers remove the portion of their beak this serves two purposes: to stop the birds from committing suicide as well as cannibalism. As morbid as it sounds, poultry kept in small cages were known to frequently peck themselves to death and those allowed to roam with some degree of freedom would fairly frequently eat the other poultry. Obviously the care given to these animals is not adequate if the animals' mental health is destroyed.

While I respect the vegetarians here, I personally could not survive on a vegetarian diet. And whilst the treatment of these animals is rather poor, it's not going to stop me from buying poultry any time soon. This particular turkey farm is an example of the really bad treatment and perhaps is not indicative of all farms. But I must agree with the other posters, a more humane method of slaughter needs to be utilized and a higher standard of care needs to be legally enforced.

EDIT: Interesting to note: While reading an article on the 'Rabbit Sitter' incidents in China (DO NOT GOOGLE THAT IF YOU ARE FAINT OF HEART) I found out that China has absolutely no animal cruelty laws at this moment. Imagine how much chicken they need to produce to feed all of China. It must be far worse than what is depicted here..

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 11-25-2010 at 01:06 AM.