MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Vounteer Abroad Shagana Volunteering Opportunities 6 08-15-2010 08:10 PM
Volunteer Abroad with Global Youth Network Lois MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-18-2009 11:08 PM
Teach English Abroad dacrown4life General Discussion 2 07-13-2009 12:30 PM
Volunteer Abroad dacrown4life General Discussion 2 07-13-2009 11:25 AM
Study Abroad sara_ Academics 7 07-28-2008 09:44 AM

Considering Teaching ESL Abroad? Read This!

Considering Teaching ESL Abroad? Read This!
BY DANIELLE LORENZ, MACINSIDERS

With English as one of the most-spoken languages, and being an important language for business, people all over the world want to learn it, or give their children the ability to learn it as well. More and more students – both those with a Humanities background and those of other academic disciplines – are choosing to teach English in other countries, either as a break between academic years or shortly after graduation. This gives them a full-time job, work experience, teaching experience, and for many a means of deciding what they want to do with the rest of their lives.

I know several people who have completed their experience, are currently abroad or leaving within the next year. I spoke recently to Liam Caldwell, a McMaster alumnus with an Honours BA in French Literature, who spent a year teaching in France.

Why did you want to teach English abroad?
I wanted some time to explore more of the language than what was available in a classroom setting, so I took time off between my third and final year to go teach English in France and explore in my spare time.

How did you decide on France?
I majored in French literature and wanted to brush up on my spoken french, simple reason enough. Although Korea or Japan seemed very tempting, what with samurais, sushi, technogadgets, gundams and kimchi, I wanted to come back with having learnt something about myself as well as improved upon what I had been studying the past 12 years of my life.

Why did you decide to do this before your last year? Do you wish you had done it earlier in your education, or waited until after graduation?
I firmly believe that I made the right choice to flee the country after my third year. Before I had gone, my marks were dismal and work ethic was shit. I needed to get away and re-build myself so-to-speak; to work on interesting and motivating tasks to make me think outside of a student's niche. The program really helped me help myself. I made up lesson plans and activities on a day to basis. I went out on the town meeting new (and sometimes strange) people. It really bolstered my speaking skills and understanding of French culture.

Had I done it earlier, I don't believe I could have had the same rapport with my students. I taught ages 15-23, from both technical and academic levels. I doubt I would have been taken seriously or held the same authority if I were to have taught at 21. Putting travelling off until after graduation is a waste of time. If I were to have waited, I would not have been able to pour everything I learnt and experienced into my final year. As a result of such, I raised my CA from a [C+ to an A-] and made the Dean's Honour list for the first time in my academic career. At times, I would be asked what I was doing in the French program if I were already French. Haha - big surprise, work pays off.

What were some challenges you faced?
Getting the students interested in the material I presented. Getting out of Paris after dark. Getting my work visa (I never did finish the application). My apartment burnt down. Making friends was tough at first, because most people my age were my students... but I managed to find a few and we still keep in touch.

What was your favourite/best part of the experience?
Every month and a half I received two weeks paid vacation. I travelled quite a bit across France, England, Italy, Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg. I also really really enjoyed the food. *drool*

Would you consider teaching ESL classes in Canada and do that as a job (either part-time or full-time)? Why or why not?
Sure! but I'd be hard pressed to teach English to someone who spoke Chinese or Fulani, I think to effectively teach a new language to someone I'd need some understanding of how they think linguistically. It's definitely a consideration.

I also spoke to Jeff Feguson, another McMaster alumnus with an Honours BA in Philosophy and English who will be leaving for Korea in October 2009 to get his perspective on his upcoming experience.

Why do you want to teach English abroad?
For me, I had no idea what I wanted to do long-term after graduating. I might attend grad school, but I knew that if I did, it wouldn’t be for at least two years after I graduated. I knew that I had to do something in the meantime, and a friend who was going to Korea to teach English suggested that I apply for it too. I looked into it, and it seemed like a really good idea. Travelling and working abroad has always interested me, and this was a very easy way to do it.

How did you decide on Korea?
Good question --- I know that some people do Japan, some Taiwan, etc, but I think I just chose Korea because I knew a couple of friends who were also going there. I then found out I actually have a lot of friends who are doing this too, and luckily enough, at least four in the same city as me. It’ll be really nice to know people who are undergoing the same thing.

Why did you decide to teach abroad at this time in your life: do you see a benefit in doing this after having graduated, or had you not thought about it seriously before?
I hadn’t seriously thought about this until February when it was suggested by a friend. But yeah, I can see a lot of benefits --- teaching experience is always good; it will be very good work experience, too. How many people can say that they spent a year working abroad? It’s a full-time paying job, too, so I guess it’s pretty cool that I have that guaranteed for twelve months after graduating.

What certification do you need to do this? How did you obtain it?
Really, anyone with a post-secondary degree can do it. I have a degree in English which puts me one step above the competition --- most people who have a degree in something else have to take a TESL (Teach English as a second language) course if they want to receive the same pay that someone with a degree in English will.

What are some potential challenges you can foresee?
Where to start? Culture shock, homesickness, not knowing the Korean language… and that doesn’t even begin to cover the actual job. Teaching a group of children is always a challenge; add on the fact that I’m not fluent in their language and they’re not in mine… yeah, it’ll be tough.

macsci, sinthusized all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-21-2009 at 06:37 PM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fourth
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
At Career Services I am constantly posting jobs for teaching English overseas. From what I've heard from fellow Career Counsellors and students alike, JET is apparently the best company to use-- if you want to go to Japan. Be sure to do research before visiting a country, you don't want to go to a country where a war is currently present and if you step onto the wrong part of the country you're killed. I know that sounds scary but just do your research. I don't think this is a decision to take lightly so don't just pack up your bags and expect smooth sailing. Make an informed decision when choosing companies and countries to teach English in.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-21-2009 at 09:31 PM   #3
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
I'm going to Switzerland!!! YAAAY
Old 06-21-2009 at 10:07 PM   #4
KRan
Program: Kinesiology
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 10 Times
Switzerland is GORGEOUS. I would love to live there!

I've been planning to spend a summer working in France sometime during university, but never considered teaching ESL before this. Do you know what company Liam went through?

Old 06-22-2009 at 01:23 PM   #5
manu
jack
Faculty: Science
Year: Masters

Liked: 75 Times
To teach? What organization are you travelling with? I really want to volunteer/work overseas but I dont know where to start
Old 06-22-2009 at 02:28 PM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

I'm not going to teach but instead am going as an Au Pair. I never heard of this before this summer but my friend and I are both planning on going. We actually found this opportunity on OSCAR. The agency we are going with is Wind Connections.

An Au Pair isn't a teacher but more of a cross between an exchange and a baby-sitter of sorts. You live with a family, have your own room and bathroom provided by the family, are responsible for helping out around the house and taking care of the children for 30 hours a week or more. The family gives you an allowance which all amounts to about $18 an hour so it's fairly good. You are also provided with language lessons, either German or French.

The process to apply is also pretty rigourous. You first apply online, then you may be asked to participate in an interview in Toronto with someone who was an Au Pair before. In this interview, there was a large focus on making sure you were happy with the family you would be paired with. Then, you will get another interview from the manager in Switzerland. From there you get a list of family profiles so you can select your top three. Switzerland is also a pretty well-off place so some of these families are really ballin'. There were a few on there that read "the family owns a mansion in the countryside... you will be staying in their guest house." :O

The best thing about this is that it's probably one of the safest ways to travel abroad. You're living with a family and you have your medical insurance all taken care of by the family.

Because it's only 30 hours a week (and you're working with kids so that's fun anyways), you have lots of time to travel. If you're going with a friend like I am, it makes it all the better! Switzerland itself is gorgeous (and omg the chocolaateee!!!!) but you're also surrounded by Italy, France, Austria, Liechtenstien, Germany.. And with the trains, travelling to these places is easy!

I don't have the website for the Wind Connections Agency but you can contact them here: [email protected] tions.ch

Last edited by temara.brown : 06-22-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: embarrassing typo

eycc11, manu, sinthusized all say thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 06-22-2009 at 04:08 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRan View Post
I've been planning to spend a summer working in France sometime during university, but never considered teaching ESL before this. Do you know what company Liam went through?
There was a posting on the bulletin board beside the French department office, and he says it is (although updated and prettier) still up there.

I have another friend who did a full-year exchange there and ended up teaching there for about 6 months afterward, but I'm not sure how she found the job, it may have been through the university she was at.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

KRan says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 07:08 PM   #8
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liam went through a program through the French Gov. - www.CIEP.fr

KRan says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 06-25-2009
anonymoose
This message has been removed by a moderator. .

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search