Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The King of e-Notetaking: OneNote J-Met Technology 25 09-20-2008 02:01 PM

Converting PDF to OneNote

Old 06-21-2011 at 12:38 PM   #1
AnnaWM

Liked: 1 Time

Converting PDF to OneNote
http://www.ehow.com/m/how_8616226_co...f-onenote.html

So I don't understand the third step at all, I've been trying but, I as wondering if someone could help me out. Possibly printscreen the page?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-21-2011 at 12:43 PM   #2
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaWM View Post
http://www.ehow.com/m/how_8616226_co...f-onenote.html

So I don't understand the third step at all, I've been trying but, I as wondering if someone could help me out. Possibly printscreen the page?

Any help would be appreciated
I do this all the time so I am very familiar with this process. Basically upon installing OneNote, you will also get the option for "Print to OneNote". What this essentially does is print images of your file (PDF, PPT etc.) and insert them into OneNote. Tons of advantages for this.

So in your file (PDF in this case), hit 'Print' as if you were actually printing it. But now change the printer to "Print to OneNote" or something like that. I know that when I was playing with this two years back, 64-bit version OSes didn't have this option but there's workaround for this. Let me know how it goes and I'll help you from there!

Edit: The printer you are changing to is "Send to OneNote". Something along those lines.

AnnaWM says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 06-21-2011 at 01:07 PM   #3
AnnaWM

Liked: 1 Time

I'm till unsure where to put the "send to onenote"

Because instead of the print option mentioned innate an ok button which seems to head straight for the printer instead having option where to print

Last edited by AnnaWM : 06-21-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2011 at 02:56 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

So make sure you do File -> Print so you get the print dialog. That's where you can change which printer you are printing to.

You don't put "Send to OneNote" anywhere, it should be an option. Attached is what you should be looking for. If you don't see it, there's a workaround I can tell you about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg print dialog.jpg (61.8 KB, 13 views)

AnnaWM says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:16 PM   #5
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey i was just wondering what you do if there isnt that send to onenote option when u go into the print screen. i have office onenote 7, and when i go inot my pdf, print, select printer...i dont see that option.. do i have to do some preliminary set up or something?
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:34 PM   #6
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
hey i was just wondering what you do if there isnt that send to onenote option when u go into the print screen. i have office onenote 7, and when i go inot my pdf, print, select printer...i dont see that option.. do i have to do some preliminary set up or something?
From what I remember there should no additional setup. If you have a 64-bit version OS, for whatever reason, this option is unavailable.

http://xps2onenote.codeplex. com/

That's the software you're going to want to make it all work. It's actually more powerful than the default. This is probably the most common issue people run into when trying this for the first time.

The other thing is a missing driver and what not (messed up installation). So you can try to reinstall Microsoft Office. Or try what they suggest here: http://support.microsoft.com /kb/952216

AnnaWM, Chevalier all say thanks to particle for this post.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:46 PM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

hey so on the thing it says that we should uninstall the preveous version first before installing that one, by that do they mean to unistally onnote 7 and then install the one there?
Old 06-21-2011 at 05:32 PM   #8
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
hey so on the thing it says that we should uninstall the preveous version first before installing that one, by that do they mean to unistally onnote 7 and then install the one there?
The previous version they are referring to is the software itself, version 1.0.

Edit: For clarification, you're just installing a tool that will allow you to "Send to OneNote". You don't have to do anything to OneNote.

Chevalier says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 06-21-2011 at 06:59 PM   #9
reddevilchil

Liked: 2 Times

If your Windows is a 64-bit and you have installed your Microsoft Office on the 64-bit part of your computer then your Print to OneNote 2007 will not work. This is a known issue with the program but was fixed in the Office 2010.

You can either,
1. Uninstall Microsoft office 2007 and then re install it all ---- but choose the 32-bit installation NOT the
64-bit installation this time. (this will give you the option to print to OneNote 2007 when you print) .

2. Purchase Microsoft Office 2010 (titles has it for really cheap) and you can choose either the 32 or
64-bit option at the beginning of your Office software installation.

I would not try any hacks out there to get the 2007 64-bit to work as they don't work well and are really complicated.

Hope this helps

AnnaWM, Chevalier all say thanks to reddevilchil for this post.

particle likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 07:11 PM   #10
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilchil View Post
2. Purchase Microsoft Office 2010 (titles has it for really cheap) and you can choose either the 32 or
64-bit option at the beginning of your Office software installation.

Hope this helps

thx for the advice...btw do u know how much titles sells it for? i looked through the website and under software i only see windows 2007.
Old 06-21-2011 at 07:27 PM   #11
reddevilchil

Titles has it for 92.99
http://macmicro.mcmaster.ca/software/licences/student/

But

If you have an ISIC card which is a student travel card that gives you major discounts on travel throught Travel Cuts, you can get it for $64.96, but you have to purchase the card which may be $20 or so
http://www.isic.org/campaigns/microsoft.html

AnnaWM says thanks to reddevilchil for this post.

Chevalier likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:53 PM   #12
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
I would not try any hacks out there to get the 2007 64-bit to work as they don't work well and are really complicated.
You've got a point about it being third-party and all, but I can say from experience what I have linked to works like a charm.
Old 06-22-2011 at 09:55 AM   #13
reddevilchil

Quote:
You've got a point about it being third-party and all, but I can say from experience what I have linked to works like a charm.
particle, I am sure that it would help if you could elaborate on exactly which third party software you are using that makes it easy to enable and use the Print to OneNote 2007 on a 64-bit install.

Also, if you wished to outline the steps needed to make it work, that would be awesome : )
Old 06-22-2011 at 02:51 PM   #14
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
particle, I am sure that it would help if you could elaborate on exactly which third party software you are using that makes it easy to enable and use the Print to OneNote 2007 on a 64-bit install.

Also, if you wished to outline the steps needed to make it work, that would be awesome : )
http://xps2onenote.codeplex. com/

^ above is the website that carries all the information and downloads you would need to enable Send to OneNote 2007 with 64-bit Windows. Instead of actually enabling it, the program makes use of the "Microsoft XPS Document Writer".
You will use this printer to print your file, spit out a .xps file out in the folder the program designates and the program will prompt you to choose some options and you're done.

I think the steps found in the website are pretty clear. If anyone needs clarification I am more than willing to help.

Edit: added what the program is actually doing.

Last edited by particle : 06-22-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2011 at 03:20 PM   #15
reddevilchil

I too installed that software, and if I had been more patient I think it would have been a good alternative solution, however I have no patience for multi-step things.

I know however that many people on the net found this solution to work well for them, so thanks for sharing : )