Convocation on Campus? Allan Academics 13 07-01-2012 10:39 AM
Convocation Phantom General Discussion 4 06-12-2012 11:49 PM
convocation cellphone Academics 7 05-30-2010 09:11 AM

Convocation

Old 03-27-2014 at 12:51 PM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

Convocation
Can someone tell me where I can find all the information on the convocation ceremony? I can't find anything on mac website.

and how do I know if my name is on the graduating list?

thanks!!
Old 03-27-2014 at 01:12 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I googled "mcmaster convocation" and it was literally the first link...so I'm not sure where you were looking, but info is definitely there.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /category/convocation/

It has info for spring 2014 graduands and you need to fill out the grad info card online. Once you do that, your name should be down to graduate.

BlakeM likes this.
Old 03-27-2014 at 02:43 PM   #3
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I googled "mcmaster convocation" and it was literally the first link...so I'm not sure where you were looking, but info is definitely there.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /category/convocation/

It has info for spring 2014 graduands and you need to fill out the grad info card online. Once you do that, your name should be down to graduate.
The problem solving skills of some people are really unsettling at times... how do you get through four years of university when you cant perform a basic google search?

Old 03-27-2014 at 03:19 PM   #4
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJackson69 View Post
The problem solving skills of some people are really unsettling at times... how do you get through four years of university when you cant perform a basic google search?
Program: English & Cultural Studies

toucheddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddddddddd dd

Old 03-27-2014 at 08:06 PM   #5
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

All of starfish's info is right but if you have received an email from the registrar people about Spring convocation recently, there is also detailed instructions about graduation with due dates and how to complete a graduation profile.
Old 03-28-2014 at 07:09 AM   #6
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by akikokoyoki View Post
All of starfish's info is right but if you have received an email from the registrar people about Spring convocation recently, there is also detailed instructions about graduation with due dates and how to complete a graduation profile.
Just another reason why this OP being out in the real world scares me a little lol
Old 03-28-2014 at 10:16 AM  
WillyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Program: English & Cultural Studies

toucheddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddddddddd dd
As if that matters

Who wants to bet that the OP has coasted through uni, getting her orbiters doing most of the work for her?
Her past posts really are a treasure trove, here is one gem:
"where is IWC 2? is it still in IWC but a different section of the building?" (this being asked at 12-05-2012, ie her SECOND YEAR)

Alternatively, ey gurl wnt sum fug?
Please be in london.
tfw no halpless gf

Last edited by WillyH : 03-28-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2014 at 10:54 AM   #7
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

you guys are ridiculous ... she was just probably just too lazy to look it up herself so she thought she'd ask here instead since there's always someone online willing to give an answer
Old 03-28-2014 at 11:06 AM   #8
lsparrow1

Liked: 10 Times

Wow you people are so incredibly rude. I agree, they probably could have just googled it but do you really have to belittle them?

VitaSoy likes this.
Old 03-28-2014 at 04:34 PM   #9
WillyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
you guys are ridiculous ... she was just probably just too lazy to look it up herself so she thought she'd ask here instead since there's always someone online willing to give an answer
If you looked through her posts you would see that this isn't the first time she has asked an extremely elementary question. Laziness isn't really an excuse, I'm pretty sure it's far less work to type "mcmaster convocation ceremony" into google and open the first link than to sign in to MI and start a thread about it.

No, this reeks of a person who is used to other people doing everything for them, and quite frankly it's disturbing that mac is pumping these sorts of people out into the workforce. I'm sure that her grades are decent, but all that is saying is that independent thinking is severely undervalued in our grading system. Can you imagine being her co-workers and having to constantly be pulling her weight?
Old 03-28-2014 at 05:35 PM   #10
macbaby07
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyH View Post
If you looked through her posts you would see that this isn't the first time she has asked an extremely elementary question. Laziness isn't really an excuse, I'm pretty sure it's far less work to type "mcmaster convocation ceremony" into google and open the first link than to sign in to MI and start a thread about it.

No, this reeks of a person who is used to other people doing everything for them, and quite frankly it's disturbing that mac is pumping these sorts of people out into the workforce. I'm sure that her grades are decent, but all that is saying is that independent thinking is severely undervalued in our grading system. Can you imagine being her co-workers and having to constantly be pulling her weight?
Okay I can understand that making an excuse for her and saying she was 'just lazy' isn't valid but what is the need to put someone down like that? You don't know her. And I'm sorry, do you have her transcripts in front of you where you're basing these judgements on?

I think your comments are completely unnecessary. I'd rather pull someone else's weight than work with someone like you.
Old 03-28-2014 at 05:42 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyH View Post

I realize this is off-topic, but I just wanted to say that this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE pet peeve of mine.
People need to learn how to google (and this isn't just directed at the OP, because this applies to about half of the posts on MI as well as a number of people I know in real life). It's a basic life skill, and a five year old can do it, so it's not like it's difficult.
If somebody on here can google the answer or find the link via google, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to either. All it's doing is creating clutter on the forum. On that note, another pet peeve specific to MI is when the same question gets asked a million times because people don't bother to check old threads (despite 'related threads' coming up BEFORE you start a new thread).
People just want to get spoon-fed answers without having to use their brains in even the tiniest way. Why google and figure out which link to click when someone can just do that for you?

Again want to re-emphasize that this isn't an attack on the OP, merely a comment on something that irritates me online and in real life. If I was going to attack the OP, I would have done it in my first post instead of answering the question

macbaby07 likes this.
Old 03-28-2014 at 05:55 PM   #12
macbaby07
Elite Member

Oh starfish I completely agree with you. I'm not trying to defend the original OP at all and I agree it takes 2 seconds to google something - I do it too, we all do. But what I don't agree with is the need to personally attack someone on the basis of this post or their previous posts.
Old 03-28-2014 at 07:31 PM   #13
WillyH

>Okay I can understand that making an excuse for her and saying she was 'just lazy' isn't valid but what is the need to put someone down like that? You don't know her.
>I'd rather pull someone else's weight than work with someone like you.

So it's not okay to put someone else down but it is okay to put someone else down? If you can't make judgements about someone that you don't know, then how are you able to make a judgement about someone you don't know (ie me)?
Or is it not alright to base your judgement on seeing just one/a small number of posts from the person? Well considering that I skimmed over a few pages worth of her posts and then made my judgement about her, where as you based yours from a single post, then I guess you are the one in the wrong again.
Or are you saying that you would rather work with someone who doesn't do their work than someone who makes judgements about other people? I guess you wouldn't want to work with yourself then.
Or are you simply content to let people mooch off your labour? Well I'd love to start a business with you then, you could do all the work and we would split the earnings 50/50, sounds good?

But I think what you really mean is that if a person is female and on the internet then they should have immunity from criticism (male internet users obviously not worthy of this exemption).
Scratch that, replace internet with reality, that's probably closer to your ideology.

macbaby07 says thanks to WillyH for this post.
Old 03-29-2014 at 09:09 AM   #14
Israa Ali

Liked: 20 Times

Quite frankly, I found it quite difficult to read the comments and turn a blind eye.

First of all, the original poster had indicated the mcmaster website as the avenue she had explored for her question, not google.

Secondly, even so, the question may be "lazy" according to some people's standards, this does not give anyone the right to criticize at the individual level. Her program and where she falls on the gender spectrum have no connection to her question... whatsoever. So why very explicitly discuss things that may potentially lead to oppressive language?

As far as I know, macinsiders is a community for all mcmaster students to engage and learn from one another through dignity, inclusiveness and respect.... and from what I've seen, the anonymity of the internet can at times turn into a disadvantageous tool to feel somehow privileged to mock others or hurt them, irrespective of who on the other end is.... it could be someone with many challenges in life, someone who genuinely needed help, perhaps reasons we may never know or even understand. She may possibly be one of the top graduates in her program...

In addition to mastering google searches, I think being a respectful human being is far more important.

Luna, please feel free to inbox me for any questions you may have in the future.

Last edited by Israa Ali : 03-29-2014 at 09:19 AM.

AndrewS, optimism all say thanks to Israa Ali for this post.