Convocation Phantom General Discussion 4 06-12-2012 11:49 PM
convocation cellphone Academics 7 05-30-2010 09:11 AM

Convocation

Old 03-29-2014 at 11:07 AM   #16
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israa Ali View Post
Quite frankly, I found it quite difficult to read the comments and turn a blind eye.

First of all, the original poster had indicated the mcmaster website as the avenue she had explored for her question, not google.

Secondly, even so, the question may be "lazy" according to some people's standards, this does not give anyone the right to criticize at the individual level. Her program and where she falls on the gender spectrum have no connection to her question... whatsoever. So why very explicitly discuss things that may potentially lead to oppressive language?

As far as I know, macinsiders is a community for all mcmaster students to engage and learn from one another through dignity, inclusiveness and respect.... and from what I've seen, the anonymity of the internet can at times turn into a disadvantageous tool to feel somehow privileged to mock others or hurt them, irrespective of who on the other end is.... it could be someone with many challenges in life, someone who genuinely needed help, perhaps reasons we may never know or even understand. She may possibly be one of the top graduates in her program...

In addition to mastering google searches, I think being a respectful human being is far more important.

Luna, please feel free to inbox me for any questions you may have in the future.
Respect is earned, not given. If you act like an idiot online you won't get any respect, unlike in real life you will get pampered because you have a ******.

JayJackson69 likes this.
Old 03-29-2014 at 02:17 PM   #17
WillyH

Liked: 9 Times

I didn't know that being on the internet required you to forgo any ability to criticize someone. People should be able to formulate and express their opinions about a person as much as they want, as long as those opinions are not libel. Every criticism expressed about the OP is derived from the OP's prior behaviour, and hence is rooted in reality (unlike your claims about them).

If they needed help then they should have expressed it, what they did was make a silly inquiry that they could have easily verified themselves, and then received negative reinforcement for doing so. But if you want to become a repository for all future stupid posts on the internet then go right ahead, I'm sure we could set up some sort of email where internet trash could be redirected for you to respond to. We already have tumblr, so I know for a fact there would be a lot of demand for this sort of thing.
Old 03-29-2014 at 11:17 PM   #18
luna

Liked: 10 Times

Thanks to those who answered the question but I got the info the day I posted this here. I thought of coming on macinsiders just in case someone had any other info for convocation or any tips but my fault I shouldn't have made my question so general I figured this way we could post more info so anyone who needed to know could look here.

Also, there is no need to be negative toward others for any reason. As some of you have said, macinsiders is a community for mac students to connect and talk about anything it doesn't even need to relate to university and sometimes people find it much easier and faster to get info here then look it up and that's perfectly fine. we can get students' perspective on things instead of the uni and help someone out a lot. I always thought students could talk about anything here and no one has the right to make them feel otherwise. If anyone has anything else to say besides answer the question please don't say it here.

thanks again for the help!

Last edited by luna : 03-29-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Old 03-31-2014 at 11:01 AM   #19
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israa Ali View Post
Quite frankly, I found it quite difficult to read the comments and turn a blind eye.

First of all, the original poster had indicated the mcmaster website as the avenue she had explored for her question, not google.

Secondly, even so, the question may be "lazy" according to some people's standards, this does not give anyone the right to criticize at the individual level. Her program and where she falls on the gender spectrum have no connection to her question... whatsoever. So why very explicitly discuss things that may potentially lead to oppressive language?

As far as I know, macinsiders is a community for all mcmaster students to engage and learn from one another through dignity, inclusiveness and respect.... and from what I've seen, the anonymity of the internet can at times turn into a disadvantageous tool to feel somehow privileged to mock others or hurt them, irrespective of who on the other end is.... it could be someone with many challenges in life, someone who genuinely needed help, perhaps reasons we may never know or even understand. She may possibly be one of the top graduates in her program...

In addition to mastering google searches, I think being a respectful human being is far more important.

Luna, please feel free to inbox me for any questions you may have in the future.
Barney and Friends called, they have an audition opening for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
Thanks to those who answered the question but I got the info the day I posted this here. I thought of coming on macinsiders just in case someone had any other info for convocation or any tips but my fault I shouldn't have made my question so general I figured this way we could post more info so anyone who needed to know could look here.

Also, there is no need to be negative toward others for any reason. As some of you have said, macinsiders is a community for mac students to connect and talk about anything it doesn't even need to relate to university and sometimes people find it much easier and faster to get info here then look it up and that's perfectly fine. we can get students' perspective on things instead of the uni and help someone out a lot. I always thought students could talk about anything here and no one has the right to make them feel otherwise. If anyone has anything else to say besides answer the question please don't say it here.

thanks again for the help!
How is it faster to make a post on here rather than do a quick search on google? You are straight up wrong on that point. If someone is willing to post online and broadcast their opinions, then it is ABSOLUTELY within the general public's rights to criticize the public posting. Learn to solve simple problems for yourself in the future...

Last edited by JayJackson69 : 03-31-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2014 at 12:32 PM   #20
knguyens2

Liked: 1 Time

I notice that those who make negative comments towards the OPs on macinsiders are typically the same people. You guys are basically cyber bullies. It doesn't matter if you had no intention to harm others. You do not know what goes on in the person's life and how they are as a person. What seems harmless can turn into something more. Macinsiders is supposed to be a supportive community.

Last edited by knguyens2 : 03-31-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2014 at 12:56 PM   #21
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by knguyens2 View Post
I notice that those who make negative comments towards the OPs on macinsiders are typically the same people. You guys are basically cyber bullies. It doesn't matter if you had no intention to harm others. You do not know what goes on in the person's life and how they are as a person. What seems harmless can turn into something more. Macinsiders is supposed to be a supportive community.
That has absolutely nothing to do with them making a pointless/stupid post to begin with. Ignorance/lazy behaviour should not be permitted just because we dont know "what goes on in the person's life and how they are as a person." If you are working in whatever field you end up in, can you honestly say that you would have no problem helping someone time after time with stupid questions just because they are too lazy to solve the problem for themselves?
If someone asks a question on here that is valid and they would not be able to answer for themselves immediately, then yes that is perfectly understandable. On the other hand, if the OP has the resources at their disposal to answer their questions (i.e in this case... Google... yea we all have access to that) then they deserve any backlash/criticism they receive for wasting people's time
Old 03-31-2014 at 01:06 PM   #22
knguyens2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJackson69 View Post
That has absolutely nothing to do with them making a pointless/stupid post to begin with. Ignorance/lazy behaviour should not be permitted just because we dont know "what goes on in the person's life and how they are as a person." If you are working in whatever field you end up in, can you honestly say that you would have no problem helping someone time after time with stupid questions just because they are too lazy to solve the problem for themselves?
If someone asks a question on here that is valid and they would not be able to answer for themselves immediately, then yes that is perfectly understandable. On the other hand, if the OP has the resources at their disposal to answer their questions (i.e in this case... Google... yea we all have access to that) then they deserve any backlash/criticism they receive for wasting people's time
That is not even my point. That was not my excuse for them. My point is, people (not just this OP) react to things differently. What you say can have negative consequences depending on how they handle it. So instead of saying negative things, you could have just easily said, go google it.

You are wasting your own time by even commenting, don't blame the OP.

If I was working with someone, and I got annoyed, I would talk to them about it, not call them names or put them down.
Old 03-31-2014 at 01:40 PM   #23
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Quote:
That is not even my point. That was not my excuse for them. My point is, people (not just this OP) react to things differently. What you say can have negative consequences depending on how they handle it. So instead of saying negative things, you could have just easily said, go google it.

You are wasting your own time by even commenting, don't blame the OP.

If I was working with someone, and I got annoyed, I would talk to them about it, not call them names or put them down.
I dont see it as wasting my time by informing someone to solve their own basic problems for themselves.
Negative consequences depending on how they handle it? If someone overreacts just because of negative comments in an online forum, that is their problem. A stupid question is bound to bring about an equally stupid answer. If someone is gonna go into a depression, shut down, or need psychiatric therapy just because someone said something not nice to them online, then that person's real problem is being far to overly sensitive. You speak as if the world is all rainbows and sunshine man...
I would hate to live in a world where everyone is too afraid to speak their minds because it may hurt someone else's feelings. Sadly it seems that is what society is regressing to at this point.
I would call you bossy, but then the feminists would be so far up my ass i would never get them out
Old 03-31-2014 at 02:24 PM   #24
knguyens2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJackson69 View Post
I dont see it as wasting my time by informing someone to solve their own basic problems for themselves.
Negative consequences depending on how they handle it? If someone overreacts just because of negative comments in an online forum, that is their problem. A stupid question is bound to bring about an equally stupid answer. If someone is gonna go into a depression, shut down, or need psychiatric therapy just because someone said something not nice to them online, then that person's real problem is being far to overly sensitive. You speak as if the world is all rainbows and sunshine man...
I would hate to live in a world where everyone is too afraid to speak their minds because it may hurt someone else's feelings. Sadly it seems that is what society is regressing to at this point.
I would call you bossy, but then the feminists would be so far up my ass i would never get them out
I don't live in a world of rainbows and unicorns. I know the effects that these things can have on people. I have dealt with people who have attempted/committed suicide (not necessarily because of online matter but like I said, you don't know what is going on in their life). And I didn't say you can't speak up. There are better ways to communicate things. I am making my point here so clearly I am okay with people speaking up. Obviously, you are just not a nice person and I do not need to say anything more because you won't get it.
Old 03-31-2014 at 02:44 PM   #25
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Quote:
I don't live in a world of rainbows and unicorns. I know the effects that these things can have on people. I have dealt with people who have attempted/committed suicide (not necessarily because of online matter but like I said, you don't know what is going on in their life). And I didn't say you can't speak up. There are better ways to communicate things. I am making my point here so clearly I am okay with people speaking up. Obviously, you are just not a nice person and I do not need to say anything more because you won't get it.
Last time i'm gonna post on this cuz i'm growing tired of the circle you are making this convo into... but if you want to talk about passing judgement, how dare you call me a not nice person when you have no idea who i am? You dont know who i am or what im going through or how i deal with things. I dont make assumptions about people on here. I comment on the remarks made, and leave it at that. Weird though that the person telling others not to judge people is calling me a bad person like that... kinda the pot calling the kettle black eh