MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

Cooperative Program (Co-op)

Old 05-09-2011 at 09:19 AM   #1
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Cooperative Program (Co-op)
Hi guys,

This is the program I've been accepted to: http://www.electronicinfo.ca /en/pr...90200_1252_141

I was wondering who do I call to get some information regarding the Co-op program?
Thank you for all your help.
Old 05-09-2011 at 09:32 AM   #2
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/eccs/index.html

anonanon987 says thanks to RTinkess31 for this post.
Old 05-09-2011 at 09:33 AM   #3
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~franek/

For undergrad compsci, I believe you would talk to Prof Franek regarding the program.

anonanon987 says thanks to icecubz for this post.
Old 05-09-2011 at 09:44 AM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinkess31 View Post
That was the link I was looking for, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~franek/

For undergrad compsci, I believe you would talk to Prof Franek regarding the program.
I emailed Prof Franek previously but he never seemed to reply, but thank you.
Old 05-09-2011 at 10:05 AM   #5
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
That was the link I was looking for, thank you.

I emailed Prof Franek previously but he never seemed to reply, but thank you.
None of the profs at Mac will reply to you unless you send an email from a mcmaster email account. Calling him in person would get you a better response.
Old 05-09-2011 at 10:26 AM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
None of the profs at Mac will reply to you unless you send an email from a mcmaster email account. Calling him in person would get you a better response.
Ah I see, I never knew that, thanks again.
Old 05-09-2011 at 11:37 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

No such thing as coop program in terms of applying to mac. Being a coop students depends on your ability to get position (applying to companies, etc). Just look up the regular comp sci program for what you'll be dealing with.
Old 05-09-2011 at 11:41 AM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
No such thing as coop program in terms of applying to mac. Being a coop students depends on your ability to get position (applying to companies, etc). Just look up the regular comp sci program for what you'll be dealing with.
As far as I know there are co-op programs in terms of applying to Mac. On OUAC I applied to Comp Sci I (Co-op) there was an option to select either the co-op program or the non. Thanks though. =]
Old 05-09-2011 at 01:20 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
As far as I know there are co-op programs in terms of applying to Mac. On OUAC I applied to Comp Sci I (Co-op) there was an option to select either the co-op program or the non. Thanks though. =]
Engineering may be different; not sure how the comp sci one works (some people confuse comp sci with soft eng), good point though.
Old 05-09-2011 at 01:35 PM   #10
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

To my understanding, being a engineering "co-op" student in McMaster depended on whether you got a relevant co-op job.

To graduate with co-op (I suppose you are comp sci, but should be no difference) you have to be in the coop program, and finish 3*4months or 1 * 12 or 16 months work term. If you can't finish the work terms before you graduate, your degree will be "Engineering" or "Computer science" just like non-coop program. [As oppose to Engineering/Computer science (Co-op)]

If you are not in a co-op program, you don't even have access to the job postings and thus cannot be graduated as Co-op/
Old 05-09-2011 at 01:42 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
To my understanding, being a engineering "co-op" student in McMaster depended on whether you got a relevant co-op job.

To graduate with co-op (I suppose you are comp sci, but should be no difference) you have to be in the coop program, and finish 3*4months or 1 * 12 or 16 months work term. If you can't finish the work terms before you graduate, your degree will be "Engineering" or "Computer science" just like non-coop program. [As oppose to Engineering/Computer science (Co-op)]

If you are not in a co-op program, you don't even have access to the job postings and thus cannot be graduated as Co-op/
You're correct, I called and that is what they told me. I need to do 12 months in total to graduate as a co-op student as well.
Old 05-09-2011 at 05:48 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post

Being in a 'coop' program or not doesn't matter. You pay the coop fee to get access to job postings.
Old 05-09-2011 at 07:23 PM   #13
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

You're right Ryan. You can just pay $100 and get access to the job. http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/eccs/Coopstudents/Prospective_students. html

How come the person at co-op service desk told me that if I get out of co-op program I can't get back in?