MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-10-2009 at 06:31 PM   #1
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Course Avaliability
I've been looking at my options, mostly Honours Health Sci and Bio with Phys Spec and I've been wondering;

In general, do you find courses easier to get into (i.e. less likely to be filled) as you progress through university? This year, I had to chnage three courses since my first choices were full, I was wondering if that was common in the upper levels.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2009 at 06:34 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Hmm, for someone trying to get into second year courses - no it wasn't easier to get into the electives I wanted. They were both full.

It's probably easier for 4th year since they go first but otherwise, with there being less cores available and layoffs and class size capping, it generally won't get easier unfortunately.

Just keep trying throughout the summer. :]
Old 07-10-2009 at 06:58 PM   #3
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I've been looking at my options, mostly Honours Health Sci and Bio with Phys Spec and I've been wondering;

In general, do you find courses easier to get into (i.e. less likely to be filled) as you progress through university? This year, I had to chnage three courses since my first choices were full, I was wondering if that was common in the upper levels.

Thanks.
Most of the popular courses will fill up fast. That's why it is very important to pick courses early. In upper years, the class sizes are usually smaller... I cannot comment if they are easier to get into though, since I have not run into that problem in my earlier years. However, you can always talk to the prof to see if they will make room, especially if it is a required course.

For now, I would recommend you check SOLAR occasionally once it goes back up. Some students will drop out of a course... so it's time sensitive to get the slot =)
Old 07-10-2009 at 07:25 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Speaking of which, it was really easy for me to get into my courses last year - almost all of them were electives too. None of them were full - this year, people are having trouble getting them. Something has changed since then I suppose.
Old 07-10-2009 at 07:33 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Speaking of which, it was really easy for me to get into my courses last year - almost all of them were electives too. None of them were full - this year, people are having trouble getting them. Something has changed since then I suppose.
The amount of cores have dropped?
Old 07-10-2009 at 07:34 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

For some classes yeah, but for the classes I took last year, not so much. Maybe there are more first years this year, who knows. But there's also more evening classes being offered, and everyone wants day.
Old 07-10-2009 at 07:36 PM   #7
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Awwww....I was hoping I was just unlucky. I'll just sit in front of my computer at 11 pm and refresh every two seconds XD.

I'm pretty okay this year, but next year will be a whole other story.

Anyone knw off-hand which courses tend to be absolutely difficult to get into as electives? I know Psych can be a pain... How's History and English usually go? I want minors in at least one...
Old 07-10-2009 at 10:56 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Some fourth year classes (and even some third year) are capped in terms of enrollment. However depending on the faculty this can be anywhere from 20 students to 100.

As you go through you tend to get more selection.

Second years really do have it the worst though, especially when it comes to choosing their electives. Fourth years tend to nab the courses they couldn't get into earlier on in their education.

But sometimes even fourth years can't get into the classes they want, depending on their course selection date.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-10-2009 at 11:38 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Second years really do have it the worst though, especially when it comes to choosing their electives. Fourth years tend to nab the courses they couldn't get into earlier on in their education.
I guess it's just a vicious cycle year after year.
Old 07-11-2009 at 05:21 AM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

If your lucky your 2nd year will not have an elective (Comp. Eng )
Old 07-11-2009 at 09:46 AM   #11
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Also, the system has some sort of rule about only opening a certain # of spaces to a certain year/faculty.

For example, last year, my fourth year Arts & Sci friend tried to get into a 3rd year bio course but it was full (and she registered on the FIRST DAY). But at the time, I was a 3rd year bio student, and that course was mandatory for me, so when I registered a couple days later I didn't have a problem getting in at all.

Sometimes you just have to wait it out, and spaces might become available. They might even add spaces later on.
Old 07-11-2009 at 10:39 AM   #12
muns2

Liked: 0 Times

I chose physics 1b03, but somehow i was able to register without
selecting math 1a03 on solar, but i found out recently that I need math 1a03.

What happens if math 1a03 is full...? Or will there be a spot for me since
i chose physics 1b03 and 1a03 is a prerequisite?

Rosaline (So-Yun) Mun
Health Sciences Class of 2013
Old 07-11-2009 at 06:28 PM   #13
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

XD. Engineering, that's got to be rough. You guys have a lot of courses in the first place, never mind electives.

I was looking at things again today - Health Sci gets a lot more than I thought they would. Getting in will be really hard, though. Nah, well, even if I stay were I am I'll still have enough for a minor, owing that I get most of my courses.

BTW, when do you apply/register for summer school, in case I need to later on? The same time as Term 1 and Term 2, or later?
Old 07-11-2009 at 06:37 PM   #14
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
XD. Engineering, that's got to be rough. You guys have a lot of courses in the first place, never mind electives.

I was looking at things again today - Health Sci gets a lot more than I thought they would. Getting in will be really hard, though. Nah, well, even if I stay were I am I'll still have enough for a minor, owing that I get most of my courses.

BTW, when do you apply/register for summer school, in case I need to later on? The same time as Term 1 and Term 2, or later?
you apply in march, usually not as frustrating but the courses are limited. I got some required bios in the summer leaving me with 5 electives this year
Old 07-11-2009 at 06:38 PM   #15
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:

you apply in march, usually not as frustrating but the courses are limited. I got two required bios in the summer leaving me with lots of electives this year