MacInsiders Logo

Course Co-ordinator

Old 06-12-2010 at 07:29 PM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Course Co-ordinator
How do you find out who the course co-ordinator is for a class? Specifically, German 1Z06.

It's full for the 3rd year now (and I'm not even allowed to access Solar yet) and I pretty much want to kill myself already/again. I hate McMaster. /endrant

But all help would be appreciated, I checked the Linguistics website but all I could find were the professor(s) teaching the course(s).

Thanks.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 06-12-2010 at 07:31 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
How do you find out who the course co-ordinator is for a class? Specifically, German 1Z06.

It's full for the 3rd year now (and I'm not even allowed to access Solar yet) and I pretty much want to kill myself already/again. I hate McMaster. /endrant

But all help would be appreciated, I checked the Linguistics website but all I could find were the professor(s) teaching the course(s).

Thanks.
Yeah, it's hard to find the course co-ordinator. It would say in the course outline but they probably haven't even been written yet. Instead you should contact the academic advisor for the department, in this case it would be the Linguistics department.

lawleypop says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-12-2010 at 07:33 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Mmk, thanks.

Do you think I should ask them to open up a spot for me in advance? I can't even access Solar till the 16th so I'm kinda assuming it'd be futile to do so before then.

Old 06-12-2010 at 07:40 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I think it only appears full until the first years can access it. It's actually pretty good that your registration is later because your 7 day limit probably overlaps with theirs when it should start being accessible. I'd write to them in advance too. Couldn't hurt.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

lawleypop says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 06-12-2010 at 07:51 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

7 day limit? Huh? XDD

I don't think it would appear full until the first years can access it... They probably have a few spaces open for upper years and what not but I definitely don't think they wouldn't allow upper years to not register AT ALL. That just seems... wrong. XD Haha.

But I shall email the person.

Make it or break it time. I refuse to return to mac if I miss out for the 3rd time.

Old 06-12-2010 at 08:07 PM   #6
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

For French 1z06, the course co-ordinator was the prof. Maybe it's the same for german... did you try contacting the prof? I believe people have also gained access to language courses by contacting Humanities academic advisors as jhan said before. Good luck

lawleypop says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:14 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
For French 1z06, the course co-ordinator was the prof. Maybe it's the same for german... did you try contacting the prof? I believe people have also gained access to language courses by contacting Humanities academic advisors as jhan said before. Good luck
I just sent 4 emails to [email protected], Magda Stroinska (undergrad counsellor for German), the Graduate Co-Ordinator, and the Assistant Co-Ordinator.

I dunno if any of those are the right people... ;P

I reckon I'll send one off to the prof as well, and [email protected] master.ca

Someone's gotta reply to me. >_< But if it's anything like trying to get a hold of Lori Hill or the APO office, I won't get my hopes up...lol.

Old 06-12-2010 at 08:14 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

It's worth a try to ask for a spot. You have to really convince them though.
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:15 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I just sent 4 emails to [email protected], Magda Stroinska (undergrad counsellor for German), the Graduate Co-Ordinator, and the Assistant Co-Ordinator.

I dunno if any of those are the right people... ;P

I reckon I'll send one off to the prof as well, LOL.

I'm finding it hard to just find the "Academic Advisor." On the Degroote main page, it's right there but not for the Linguistics one.
The academic advisor is the undergraduate counsellor, so it would be Storinska. But e-mailing more people doesn't hurt.
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:20 PM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

I think 6 e-mails is good for now, haha.

My interest in German doesn't extend beyond an inexplicable desire to learn the language and live there one day, so I dunno how convincing that is. :(

Old 06-12-2010 at 08:21 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

When I couldn't get into this goddamn class back in first year, I was finally given a seat after emailing Jackie Osterman ([email protected]).

Maybe you should try emailing her. She's the academic adviser for the humanities department.

lawleypop says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:24 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Thanks. Was it just a personal interest in the class? What did you say to her to get a spot opened up for you?

Old 06-12-2010 at 08:27 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

It was more like

Quote:
Hello,

I've emailed about 20,000 people trying to get a spot in German 1Z06 and eventually one of them said to ask you.

Can I has seat?

kthx

- Dillon
Except that it was a lot longer and had moar grammar.
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:28 PM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

OMFG, wow that made me laugh. Thanks, I needed that.

So you didn't do a lot of convincing then? ;P

Old 06-12-2010 at 08:33 PM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Looking over my old emails; not really. Seems like if you just ask nicely, they open a spot for you :p.

lawleypop says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

lawleypop likes this.