MacInsiders Logo

Course Evaluations?

Old 11-09-2011 at 12:17 AM   #1
yut24

Liked: 2 Times

Course Evaluations?
Hey Guys

So just a random question.. Does anyone know what happens to these things after we fill them out. I feel like profs don't even look at the results cause some of them keep stinking on a yearly basis and bird courses are getting harder and harder I hear.

Apparently, the MSU is hosting an open forum thing on Nov 15th. Could be useful... What do you guys think?
Old 11-09-2011 at 07:08 AM   #2
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

I'm not sure what happens, but yeah, it doesn't seem like profs actually look at them after. Maybe if we actually got to see the results of those evaluations, the profs would be pressured to actually take the feedback into consideration.

I also hate how the questions are so general, and in some cases, useless (they asked me once if labs were helpful in a Humanities course...)

So...there's going to be an open forum about this? Sounds interesting. But what time on Nov 15? Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 11-09-2011 at 07:22 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

MUGSI -> My Academics -> Course Evaluation.
Old 11-09-2011 at 10:16 AM   #4
yut24

So apparently it's from 3:30-5:30pm in that big room in Gilmour Hall.

Also, Jeremy, how do you use that link. There are only like 5 profs on it and I can't get any statistical data at all. Just two ways to look for results (by prof and by course) :S
Old 11-09-2011 at 11:17 AM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

gets sent to a filtering office. there they skim through all the written notes+input scantrons. Skim to filter out swear words etc etc. then all comments get put on a list and sent to the dean to sign off. then it gets sent to the prof
Old 11-09-2011 at 02:35 PM   #6
yut24

True... I guess it just pisses me off that you never really know if the prof gives a f***. Like Gabriel said, I think it'd be better if students were more involved in the process.
Old 11-09-2011 at 02:41 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

There have been courses I've written more on the course evaluation comments section than in the entirety of the tests/exams for that course..
Old 11-09-2011 at 04:00 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yut24 View Post
So apparently it's from 3:30-5:30pm in that big room in Gilmour Hall.

Also, Jeremy, how do you use that link. There are only like 5 profs on it and I can't get any statistical data at all. Just two ways to look for results (by prof and by course) :S
Highlight the department, then click "Department"

Then:

Highlight Professor, then click "By Professor"

or

Highlight Course, then click "By Course".
Old 11-09-2011 at 05:08 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I think it depends on the prof. Some will look at their number ratings, some will read the comments, some won't look at them at all. There are some profs (ie. Professor Mercier) who actually want to improve their teaching and specifically tell the class "I read all the comments, so write as much as you can"

As for the MUGSI ratings, I think you can only see the numbers if the professor has approved them to be released to students. Some profs hide their ratings.
Old 11-09-2011 at 06:46 PM   #10
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Is Anyone Even Listening To Jhan????
Old 11-09-2011 at 07:41 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
As for the MUGSI ratings, I think you can only see the numbers if the professor has approved them to be released to students. Some profs hide their ratings.
This is true, if they don't approve the information to be released it will say "Professor has declined the release of the information" or something like that.
Old 11-09-2011 at 07:46 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Hey Guys

So just a random question.. Does anyone know what happens to these things after we fill them out. I feel like profs don't even look at the results cause some of them keep stinking on a yearly basis and bird courses are getting harder and harder I hear.

Apparently, the MSU is hosting an open forum thing on Nov 15th. Could be useful... What do you guys think?
I believe the open forum thing is held by the Science Society, not the MSU...so it's Science-specific.
Old 11-10-2011 at 01:18 PM   #13
yut24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I believe the open forum thing is held by the Science Society, not the MSU...so it's Science-specific.
Hi, so I've checked with people in the MSU and it is an MSU event. Maybe people in the Science Society are doing something similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Highlight the department, then click "Department"

Then:

Highlight Professor, then click "By Professor"

or

Highlight Course, then click "By Course".

Also, jhan523, thanks for the tip! It's good to know that they have that although the system itself can be improved so much more significantly. They should provide us with more stats though given how many questions we're asked. >_>
Old 11-10-2011 at 03:41 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Also, jhan523, thanks for the tip! It's good to know that they have that although the system itself can be improved so much more significantly. They should provide us with more stats though given how many questions we're asked. >_>
Everything else has the ability to change drastically, like tutorials, labs, tests, TAs, etc... The teaching style of the professor usually doesn't.
Old 11-11-2011 at 06:57 AM   #15
lyonsnew

Liked: 3 Times

I have been a TA and I know that some profs don't care about teaching evaluations but some do. In most cases the prof gets all the words (even swearing) as long as it isn't hateful. The trick is to put comments that are realistic such as 'The course was to back loaded with assignments making it difficult to do well' or 'the MC questions were based on details not all that involved with the course' and they do generally listen. Often people write things like 'The mid-term was too hard' or 'this was supposed to be a bird course' and those just get ignored.

The first poster asked an odd question. He said 'Bird courses are getting harder'. Did he mean that they are becoming more challenging or that there is simply more work? I have always been amazed by the 'bird course'. Do people really think there are courses out there that have a class average over a 9? I always felt a 'bird course' was one that simply had a few quizzes and maybe one assignment and the 'bird' part meant there was little day-to-day work. I don't understand this though that there are courses out there where it is 'easy to get a 12' because they just don't exist.