MacInsiders Logo

Course Manageability

Old 06-15-2011 at 01:47 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Course Manageability
Hello everyone. I'm currently considering pharmacy and as a result I'll need to be taking a lot of pretty heavy courses throughout the year. At the moment I have physics 1b03, chem2OA3, bio2b03, chembio2p03 and either env2ww3 or econ1b03 in one term. For second term I have math1lt3, stats2b03, chem2Ob3, bio2c03 and biochem2ee3. Do you think it would be really difficult to manage all of these courses at once, or should I push some courses towards the summer and apply for pharmacy later on (maybe the year afterwards). This way, I may do the orgos during the summer.
Old 06-15-2011 at 02:23 PM   #2
H.L.

Liked: 2 Times

It is definitely manageable. However if chem is a weak subject, perhaps it would be to your advantage to take it in the summer.
Old 06-15-2011 at 02:28 PM   #3
Unknown111

Liked: 2 Times

The only courses that will take some time are Orgo 2OB3, and possibly genetics. The rest should be a breeze. Especially Math 1LT3, where the prof pretty much gives you the test questions (based on assignments), I've heard stats 2B03 to be quite similar where practice questions are provided, and biochem 2ee3 is pretty much just memorize the slides and you're set.
Old 06-15-2011 at 02:46 PM   #4
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
It is definitely manageable. However if chem is a weak subject, perhaps it would be to your advantage to take it in the summer.
Is Chem 2Oa3 and Ob3 a huge step up from chem1a03/aa3? I managed to do alright in those ones. Physics, on the other hand isn't my strong suit...I didn't really do that well in L03, but B03 is required by UofT haha. Should I maybe do physics in the summer, then? If I choose not to take orgo one and two this year, I won't be able to take biochem2ee3 either since it's a prereq. Is anyone familiar with the application process for pharmacy? If I have all of my prerequisites done by April 2012, I can apply to begin in September 2012 right? or the soonest I'll be able to start would be September 2013 :(.
Old 06-15-2011 at 03:20 PM   #5
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Is anyone familiar with the application process for pharmacy? If I have all of my prerequisites done by April 2012, I can apply to begin in September 2012 right? or the soonest I'll be able to start would be September 2013 :(.
That's what I'm planning to do in terms of applying to pharmacy at UofT. From memory, I think the applications and fees are due around mid-December every year. It sounds about right, we would end up starting in September 2013, which is... indeed, sad.
Old 06-15-2011 at 07:05 PM   #6
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
That's what I'm planning to do in terms of applying to pharmacy at UofT. From memory, I think the applications and fees are due around mid-December every year. It sounds about right, we would end up starting in September 2013, which is... indeed, sad.
I don't think there's anything we can do about that, though. Are you still taking most of your prerequisites this year, though? I'm trying to decide if I want to to hold off on Orgo until the summer or just do 1b03 in the summer. If I take out Orgo, then I can't take 2ee3 until the next year :S. I guess it doesn't really make a difference though, since I can't even apply by September 2012 ?!
Old 06-15-2011 at 07:51 PM   #7
h9i9j9

Liked: 0 Times

that course load looks manageable, but don't let us fool you; it won't be easy!

I just finished 2nd year biochem and practically had 6 or 7 of those courses. If all the biochems can do it, you can too The only question you have to ask your self is how many nights a week are you planning to work? I think I studied one or two weekday nights and on saturday, but in second year I did at least 3 or 4 weeknights and both saturday and sunday.

note: but if you're deathly afraid of you're GPA dropping, summer orgo is definitely a good alternative.
Old 06-15-2011 at 08:01 PM   #8
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

It's def manageable and doable.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 06-15-2011 at 08:15 PM   #9
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't think there's anything we can do about that, though. Are you still taking most of your prerequisites this year, though? I'm trying to decide if I want to to hold off on Orgo until the summer or just do 1b03 in the summer. If I take out Orgo, then I can't take 2ee3 until the next year :S. I guess it doesn't really make a difference though, since I can't even apply by September 2012 ?!
Yeah, I am finishing the prerequisites this year because they are also part of my program. I'm going to do stats in the summer though.

I think it's probably better to do them earlier since you have to anyway.
Old 06-16-2011 at 01:18 AM   #10
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Yeah, I am finishing the prerequisites this year because they are also part of my program. I'm going to do stats in the summer though.

I think it's probably better to do them earlier since you have to anyway.
Right now I think I'm going to do physics 1b03 in the summer since I'm absolutely horrible at physics. I had Nejat for L03 and had the greatest difficulty getting into the lectures and hated the way tutorials were run :(.
Old 06-16-2011 at 01:21 AM   #11
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h9i9j9 View Post
that course load looks manageable, but don't let us fool you; it won't be easy!

I just finished 2nd year biochem and practically had 6 or 7 of those courses. If all the biochems can do it, you can too The only question you have to ask your self is how many nights a week are you planning to work? I think I studied one or two weekday nights and on saturday, but in second year I did at least 3 or 4 weeknights and both saturday and sunday.

note: but if you're deathly afraid of you're GPA dropping, summer orgo is definitely a good alternative.
I don't mind working on the material every day, except maybe giving myself a break over the weekend. I hear it's a lot easier to take the orgos in summer school but I'm just afraid I won't be learning as much and that I'd be cheating myself in the long run. Also, I'd have to find someplace to stay for an extra four months :S. Will universities care whether a prerequisite such as orgo was taken during summer school or during the year?
Old 06-16-2011 at 01:27 AM   #12
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Right now I think I'm going to do physics 1b03 in the summer since I'm absolutely horrible at physics. I had Nejat for L03 and had the greatest difficulty getting into the lectures and hated the way tutorials were run :(.
If it's any help, the labs in 1B03 are pretty easy especially since the TAs are pretty helpful. The labs are basically free marks.
And I think they have a tutor in the basement of Thode always willing to help as well (if you haven't already tried that out)
Old 06-16-2011 at 05:18 PM   #13
Angoose
Elite Member

Would having orgo and bio2b03 or bio2c03 make my workload really heavy? I think the prof is Dej atm. I really can't decide if I should do the orgos during the summer or not. I managed to pull off a 10 during the year for a03 and aa3, but it might have been because of the labs. I've pretty much decided just to do physics1b03 in my third year or something. I really hate physics and I'd probably do extremely poorly in it.
Old 06-16-2011 at 05:27 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Would having orgo and bio2b03 or bio2c03 make my workload really heavy? I think the prof is Dej atm. I really can't decide if I should do the orgos during the summer or not. I managed to pull off a 10 during the year for a03 and aa3, but it might have been because of the labs. I've pretty much decided just to do physics1b03 in my third year or something. I really hate physics and I'd probably do extremely poorly in it.
There are hundreds of students who take these courses in the same term :\
Old 06-16-2011 at 08:20 PM   #15
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
If you've got the motivation to do the work right there's a pretty good chance you'll be fine. Besides, pharmacy workloads are heavier than what you're debating about it. It's time to see if you can handle this amount of work.