MacInsiders Logo

Course Manageability

Old 06-16-2011 at 08:43 PM   #16
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
If you've got the motivation to do the work right there's a pretty good chance you'll be fine. Besides, pharmacy workloads are heavier than what you're debating about it. It's time to see if you can handle this amount of work.

I think that's a really good point. The only reason I may want to split up the prereqs over two years would be to (Hopefully) get a higher GPA so that I may have a bit of an advantage. I guess it'd be a really good idea to get all of the prerequisites out of the way though. UofT is thinking of changing its bachelor of science in pharmacy to a pharmD, right? Or there's some alternative program that lets you go for a pharmd I hear.
Old 06-16-2011 at 08:54 PM   #17
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
I think that's a really good point. The only reason I may want to split up the prereqs over two years would be to (Hopefully) get a higher GPA so that I may have a bit of an advantage. I guess it'd be a really good idea to get all of the prerequisites out of the way though. UofT is thinking of changing its bachelor of science in pharmacy to a pharmD, right? Or there's some alternative program that lets you go for a pharmd I hear.
From the skim of the website I have been able to gather that they are introducing a combined program BSc. + PharmD. The BSc. should still be available, which is what you'll need to complete in order to get licensed as a pharmacist.

There have been talks coming from UofW and UofT pharmacy for a long while now and their efforts to change the BSc. into Entry-Level PharmD (sounds better lol. And given that you'll have been in school for a long time, a BSc. isn't all too appropriate).
Old 06-16-2011 at 08:55 PM   #18
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

To apply to uoft u need to write the pcat as well, keep that in mind. Uoft will look heavily upon ur marks in the chem courses, if u get below a C- u'll be flagged as weak in chem which is a huge disadvantage. As a current applicant having gone through the process I do not recommend taking all those courses at once, you need a high gpa to be accepted. I got into Waterloo, and i know others that got in have gpa's near 3.5 and above. Regardless you should aim for a 9 or higher in all the pre reqs to remain competitive. You will also need bio 2ee3 for Waterloo.

If you're serious abt pharm don't let your marks in the pre reqs suffer because of a heavy courseload... I'd honestly say take another year

edit: also this is not stated but waterloo requires a minimum 75% average in the pre-requisite courses AS WELL as overall gpa.

Last edited by SciMania : 06-16-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2011 at 09:14 PM   #19
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
From the skim of the website I have been able to gather that they are introducing a combined program BSc. + PharmD. The BSc. should still be available, which is what you'll need to complete in order to get licensed as a pharmacist.

There have been talks coming from UofW and UofT pharmacy for a long while now and their efforts to change the BSc. into Entry-Level PharmD (sounds better lol. And given that you'll have been in school for a long time, a BSc. isn't all too appropriate).
Uoft has just changed their curriculum to match that of EL-pharmD and they submitted a proposal to the gov't this year. It has yet to be approved but it will very likely be approved within the next year. Those who enter into the new curriculum BSc will have their degrees retroactively changed to the pharmD when its approved. the combined program is only for the current 4th years at uoft since they will be graduating this year.

also if uoft gets approved waterloo will automatically follow suite. the longer it stays a BSc the better, as tuition is much much cheaper for BSc vs. pharmD
Old 06-16-2011 at 11:06 PM   #20
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

i think you should be okay- you at least have some good electives to even out your harder more intensive courses...
Old 06-17-2011 at 12:30 AM   #21
AngusLee

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
To apply to uoft u need to write the pcat as well, keep that in mind. Uoft will look heavily upon ur marks in the chem courses, if u get below a C- u'll be flagged as weak in chem which is a huge disadvantage. As a current applicant having gone through the process I do not recommend taking all those courses at once, you need a high gpa to be accepted. I got into Waterloo, and i know others that got in have gpa's near 3.5 and above. Regardless you should aim for a 9 or higher in all the pre reqs to remain competitive. You will also need bio 2ee3 for Waterloo.

If you're serious abt pharm don't let your marks in the pre reqs suffer because of a heavy courseload... I'd honestly say take another year

edit: also this is not stated but waterloo requires a minimum 75% average in the pre-requisite courses AS WELL as overall gpa.
Is bio2ee3 the equivalent for their anatomy course at waterloo?
Old 06-17-2011 at 12:32 AM   #22
Angoose
Elite Member

I haven't taken the PCAT yet, but I'm not sure how I should split up my courses over two years. Right now the only thing I would consider is either doing both orgos in the summer, and then biochem2ee3 the following year or just doing physics 1b03 in the summer. I forgot that I needed bio2ee3 as well. I had it in at first, but then switched it out for physics. Man, that would make my courseload a lot heavier.
Old 06-17-2011 at 12:59 AM   #23
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusLee View Post
Is bio2ee3 the equivalent for their anatomy course at waterloo?
no bio 2ee3 is microbiology
Old 06-17-2011 at 01:03 AM   #24
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
I haven't taken the PCAT yet, but I'm not sure how I should split up my courses over two years. Right now the only thing I would consider is either doing both orgos in the summer, and then biochem2ee3 the following year or just doing physics 1b03 in the summer. I forgot that I needed bio2ee3 as well. I had it in at first, but then switched it out for physics. Man, that would make my courseload a lot heavier.
bio 2ee3 is horrendous. it ends up getting bumped in the end but it will not be fun.

just enjoy your degree, you just finished 1st year, you may find you dont even want to do pharmacy...so take your time and decide..
Old 06-17-2011 at 02:05 PM   #25
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
bio 2ee3 is horrendous. it ends up getting bumped in the end but it will not be fun.

just enjoy your degree, you just finished 1st year, you may find you dont even want to do pharmacy...so take your time and decide..
Really? I heard biochem 2ee3 was a pretty easy course, it's just all memorization

And to the OP, if physics isn't your best subject, I would recommend you take 1B03 over the summer. I did terrible in it in my first year so now I'm taking 1BB3 at UTSC
Old 06-17-2011 at 02:16 PM   #26
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Really? I heard biochem 2ee3 was a pretty easy course, it's just all memorization

And to the OP, if physics isn't your best subject, I would recommend you take 1B03 over the summer. I did terrible in it in my first year so now I'm taking 1BB3 at UTSC
SciMania was talking about BIO 2EE3 (Microbiology) not BIOCHEM 2EE3 (Metabolism)
Old 06-17-2011 at 03:05 PM   #27
Angoose
Elite Member

I didn't remember that I needed bio2ee3. I think I'll move physics to the summer or next year and take something else in place of it.
Old 07-23-2011 at 06:17 PM   #28
Angoose
Elite Member

I know that chembio2p03 has changed a lot over the years, but generally how was the workload for the course. There were four or five tests and an exam before, but was the course mainly readings, or is it a math-type course with a lot of practice involved? I also have stats2b03 in the same term, and chem2oa3 and bio2b03. I want to take bio2ee3, but I don't want to swamp myself in work/readings and kind of miss out on a social life haha.