MacInsiders Logo
Old 11-07-2010 at 02:49 PM   #1
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Course Permissions?
I think I've touched on this lightly before, but I came across more questions about course permissions.

I'm in Lifesci, and currently I'm taking MMEDA1A03 as an elective. I'd realllyyyyyy like to take the second year course in animation, but I'm not going to be applying to the multimedia program. I can't get into MMEDIA 1B03 in the second term, either, nor do I want to take it in the summer, so technically I wouldn't have the full pre-requisities for the course anyway, but, I already have a very solid background in photoshop and I've done a lot of digital art in my own time... do you think I could bring some examples of my work or something to someone in the multimedia department and beg them to give me permission to take the course? If so, when would I do this? Who would I contact?
Old 11-07-2010 at 10:18 PM   #2
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

I went to the Communications Advisory office (in CNH I think?) or whatever it's called a couple days before SOLAR closed for first term changes to ask about potentially going further into CMST second year if I liked it. The lady I talked to basically said "No. There's absolutely no chance you can take second year CMST courses as electives if you aren't in CMST." Only reason I went there was because our Eng electives list said we could but the restrictions on the course said we weren't, so the Eng office sent me there to ask.

Anyway, I'm guessing you'd have to ask a Dean of MM or something like that eventually, so if you could skip that office altogether that'd probably be helpful. Only because I think they're supposed to tell you you can't. Or maybe I just got a really cranky lady that day.

I wanna hear how this turns out though, I really wanted to do MM even though we're not "allowed" to. There may be hope for this still...
Old 11-07-2010 at 10:28 PM   #3
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
I went to the Communications Advisory office (in CNH I think?) or whatever it's called a couple days before SOLAR closed for first term changes to ask about potentially going further into CMST second year if I liked it. The lady I talked to basically said "No. There's absolutely no chance you can take second year CMST courses as electives if you aren't in CMST." Only reason I went there was because our Eng electives list said we could but the restrictions on the course said we weren't, so the Eng office sent me there to ask.

Anyway, I'm guessing you'd have to ask a Dean of MM or something like that eventually, so if you could skip that office altogether that'd probably be helpful. Only because I think they're supposed to tell you you can't. Or maybe I just got a really cranky lady that day.

I wanna hear how this turns out though, I really wanted to do MM even though we're not "allowed" to. There may be hope for this still...

The thing is, the university doesn't decide for us what the restrictions/rules are on electives for engineering students, that's something that this upper level Canadian/Ontarian board has set in place. (it's the same guys who force us to take humanities/socsci courses as electives while restricting science/math electives)
Old 11-07-2010 at 10:34 PM   #4
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashPlague View Post
The thing is, the university doesn't decide for us what the restrictions/rules are on electives for engineering students, that's something that this upper level Canadian/Ontarian board has set in place. (it's the same guys who force us to take humanities/socsci courses as electives while restricting science/math electives)
True, true.

The Eng list says that CMST courses are allowed for us to take; but on the course timetables we are restricted from taking CMST level 2+ courses because we're not registered in CMST/MM.

I have no idea for MM if we're allowed or not (by Eng), but for cases like this I was told that it was up to the discretion of the faculty the course belongs to whether or not exceptions were made.
Old 11-07-2010 at 10:40 PM   #5
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

Talk to the course instructor. Bring your stuff. It's worth a short right? I would do this ASAP so you have plenty of time to arrange a meeting time.
:tree: