MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horizons 2010 Now Accepting Delegate Registrations! myoozik MacInsiders Announcements 1 07-16-2010 01:58 PM

Course Registrations

Old 12-10-2011 at 02:51 PM   #1
Unregistered

Course Registrations
I've just applied to Mac on OUAC... so I'd like to confirm something here.

Apparently the school still runs a very old course registration system, which only allows a limited number of users on at a time? I've heard that people spam the log in button, and it can take hours to be able to get on at all... by which time, most courses would already be full. So I'd assume it'd be difficult then, to be able to get your choice electives? How quickly do courses fill up?

Thanks.

Oh, and I'd also like a little clarification:
According to the residence website, first-year students are NOT guaranteed residence. Can someone please explain this? What percentage of the first-year undergrad population actually get res? Do you get to pick between single/double/triple rooms, and apartment-style suites?
Old 12-10-2011 at 03:44 PM   #2
KaitlynAnne

Liked: 0 Times

I haven't heard anything about people spamming the log in button, but I'll be honest you can spend hours clicking the link to get into mugsi, then into solar. I would recommend trying logging into Mugsi before the hour that solar opens that way you've already by passed one obstacle lol.
It's really all up to luck if you get your course elective, don't be discouraged if you don't get a spot by the time school begins, keep checking in on solar, sometimes people randomly drop the course, especially during the first 2 weeks of school.
As for residences, you are correct, first years do not get a guaranteed spot unless they have a certain admission average. This past year it was a 79% admission average, and this coming year we're expecting at about 80%. You will be notified if you have a guaranteed spot on you acceptance letter. And if you don't manage to reach that admission average, you'll be placed on a waiting list, and you'll be ranked according to your admission average. 80% of residence space is reserved for first years, you do get to choose 5 preferences when you fill our your residence application form as to what style you would like. Your name is placed into a lottery system, when your name is picked, it will look at your first preference, if it's still available at the time your are chosen, you'll get it, but if not the computer will give you your next available preference . To get a guaranteed first preference, you need an admission average of 95% or higher!You'll know your room assignment and roommate if you have one by end of July usually.
Best of luck!
Old 12-10-2011 at 03:59 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I've been at McMaster for 3 years now and I've been able to get into every single course I wanted except for 1 which I ended up taking in summer. I could have also waited for the next year but I already had a house rented and I was also taking another course.
Old 12-11-2011 at 01:42 AM   #4
DaveyA

Liked: 1 Time

just remember that mac opens up spots for each course like weekly or something, so everyone has an equal chance of getting a course
Old 12-11-2011 at 01:51 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyA View Post
just remember that mac opens up spots for each course like weekly or something, so everyone has an equal chance of getting a course
They reserve seats for each year and department/program, and the percentage of both are dependent on the course.
Old 12-11-2011 at 02:19 AM   #6
Unregistered

Wow! That was fast. Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

I also have a few other questions (my apologies, but I could very honestly go on forever...):
How likely are students able to obtain internship positions?
How is Mac's social scene and racial diversity compared to other schools?
Is the meal plan food any good?

And anything about the city or school that prospective students ought to know, I guess...

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply.
Old 12-12-2011 at 03:58 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Internships: there aren't many, but if you go to Career Services and work on your resume/cover letter/interview skills, as well as build up your resume with volunteer positions, you have a better shot of getting one.

The meal plan food is good. It can get a little fattening if you're always choosing pizza or poutine, so be sure to mix it up with healthy sandwiches, salads, pastas, etc.
Old 12-14-2011 at 12:48 AM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

To anonymous posters:

Please break up your questions into new threads so that people can answer your questions one at a time, and also help us to organize answers for easy searching by other students with the same questions.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2011 at 10:25 AM   #9
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

There seems to be some progress with upgrading the system so that we shouldn't have to worry about sitting at your computer for like 30 minutes to an hour just trying to get into the course registration system. We will see though, not sure how this new upgrade will actually turn out.