KINESIOL 1AA3
KINESIOL 1C03
KINESIOL 1E03
KINESIOL 1F03
KINESIOL 1G03
BIOLOGY 1A03
PHYSICS 1L03
MATH 1A03

for these courses, which will I need a copy of the textbook, and which can I just download or use at the library? The reason why I'm asking is so that I can read ahead during the summer so I won't fall behind during the lectures.
Old 06-26-2010 at 11:41 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
Hi I'll be taking:
KINESIOL 1A03
KINESIOL 1AA3
KINESIOL 1C03
KINESIOL 1E03
KINESIOL 1F03
KINESIOL 1G03
BIOLOGY 1A03
PHYSICS 1L03
MATH 1A03

for these courses, which will I need a copy of the textbook, and which can I just download or use at the library? The reason why I'm asking is so that I can read ahead during the summer so I won't fall behind during the lectures.
Don't buy textbooks before the textbook list is released, and in most cases I would wait until the first class. I'm sure you can borrow books at libraries if you want to start reading up on what you are going to be learning.
Old 06-26-2010 at 11:51 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yeah, wait until your first couple of classes. Sometimes professors will just use lecture notes to test you, so the textbook is useless
Old 06-27-2010 at 12:13 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Yeah, wait until your first couple of classes. Sometimes professors will just use lecture notes to test you, so the textbook is useless
Or they might tell you that the book isn't actually mandatory or an optional book is extremely recommended.
Old 06-27-2010 at 11:05 PM   #5
scarletfire

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Or they might tell you that the book isn't actually mandatory or an optional book is extremely recommended.
will there be some professors where they won't tell u if it's actually optional when it is?
Old 06-27-2010 at 11:11 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
will there be some professors where they won't tell u if it's actually optional when it is?
Yeah. Not everyone learns by using the textbook and sometimes the professor is so good at relaying the information that you don't need the book to study from. It's happened to me a couple times, like for first year chemistry, physics, biology and second year plant bio. Everyone is different though, that's why the teacher can say it's optional. But they can say it's recommended.
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:15 PM   #7
dani.garc

Liked: 0 Times

Hey, First of all, congrats on getting Mac Kin - you'll love it. I'm in fourth year Kin, so I've been through this process before. As mentioned above, I'd wait until the first day of classes to receive your syllabus, but I'm almost positive the books will be the same as last year. Don't worry about getting ahead, the learning curve for university isn't as difficult as what mot people say. Also, you'll be sure to meet a lot of older Kin students from Faculty Day and Frosh Week who can help you get used books (which will be a lot cheaper than buying new and used books from Titles Bookstore). Feel free to send me a message and I can help introduce you to second year students looking to sell some books. My younger brother just finished his first year in Kin so I'm sure he would be willing to sell you his books. Good luck and enjoy your Summer!