MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio 3UU3 2009-2010 Review Taeyang 3rd Year Course Reviews 5 12-24-2013 03:11 PM
The 2009/2010 Master Timetable... Chad MacInsiders Announcements 40 08-08-2009 06:18 PM
The MSU BOD 2009/2010! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-07-2009 09:28 AM

Courses For 2009-2010

Old 06-10-2009 at 05:08 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I believe she means for which program or faculty.
Old 06-10-2009
sinthusized
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-10-2009 at 06:10 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I believe she means for which program or faculty.
Yup.

As a second year student there are tons of courses you can take, and they can be from first, second or third year classes.

Some programs have less electives than others. And some programs also have certain electives you need to take (i.e. three out of a list of five).

So we can't help you unless you want us to list off around 40% of the undergrad calender.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

feonateresa says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-10-2009 at 08:40 PM   #18
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I think a better way of choosing electives is seeing which departments interest you most. Then read the courses and check the prereqs of courses that you like the best or perhaps you have heard are easy (if you just want a bird course).

lorend, stressedspec all say thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 06-11-2009 at 10:13 AM   #19
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

im going into biochem genetic engineering specialization.

but yeah i guess ill just look through the departments and find any course that i fit the prereqs for. i kinda wanted a bird course since i dont wanna die lol...
Old 06-11-2009 at 01:16 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've never seen so many bio courses in my life, but I'm up for the challenge!
Old 06-11-2009 at 03:36 PM   #21
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've never seen so many bio courses in my life, but I'm up for the challenge!
:(

Too bad they took away a lot of the bio courses.
Old 06-11-2009 at 03:50 PM   #22
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Speaking of biology courses... I just finished 1st year and am doing bio 2f03 and bio 2b03 in summer. This will allow me to take a few 3rd year bio courses (such as Mol Bio 3H03, 3HH3) and I'm in life sci so I have lots of electives. Do you think I would be fine to take them this year or should I just wait until 3rd year after I finish some more 2nd year science courses so I have more experience (though not officially required according to handbook). Just asking b/c I was advised not to take an 3rd year english cause i've never taken university English before (which makes sense) even though I did meet the prereq of said course which was to be level 2 and above.

Last edited by sinthusized : 06-11-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2009 at 04:50 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I'm also going into second year so I can't advise you on specifics. But you are clearly going into the bio department. If you've taken the prerequisites and believe that you can do well in the third year courses then I say go for it. Fast tracking can be very good in terms of in your fourth year you'll have more electives/fewer classes. But fast tracking can also be difficult.

If it was my decision I would only take 1 third year course. I base this decision on my ability to time manage (I can't really time manage that well, but I'm improving) as well as my confidence in my own academic abilities and work ethics.

What I'm saying is that you should fast track to the best of your abilities, if you think you can't fast track then don't. There is nothing worse than negative thoughts. If you think you can't do it then chances are you will do worse than you actually can and maybe you won't even be able to do it. If you truly believe you can handle the higher courses right now then go for it, it may be hard work in the present but in the future you'll be rewarded.

sinthusized says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-11-2009 at 06:18 PM   #24
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Speaking of biology courses... I just finished 1st year and am doing bio 2f03 and bio 2b03 in summer. This will allow me to take a few 3rd year bio courses (such as Mol Bio 3H03, 3HH3) and I'm in life sci so I have lots of electives. Do you think I would be fine to take them this year or should I just wait until 3rd year after I finish some more 2nd year science courses so I have more experience (though not officially required according to handbook). Just asking b/c I was advised not to take an 3rd year english cause i've never taken university English before (which makes sense) even though I did meet the prereq of said course which was to be level 2 and above.
Personally, I would stick with second year biology courses in your second year. There's a BIG transition between courses from first year and 3rd year (3rd and 4th year courses are considered equivalent). However, if you really want to take 3rd year courses and have the correct prerequisites nobody can really stop you.

Also, if you plan on applying for graduate schools, in some cases 80% of the courses you take must be from that year. So, if you're in 3rd year, 80% of your courses should be 3rd year courses with some other years thrown in if you wish. In 4th year, 80% of your courses should be 3rd/4th year courses (since they're equivalent).

One of the problems that I see is that you start running out of 3rd year courses by the time you're in 4th year. For example: not having the correct prerequisites or simply not being interested in subjects that Mac has to offer. This is a challenge that I'm facing at the moment.

Good luck with whatever you decide. : )

sinthusized says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 06-11-2009 at 06:48 PM   #25
carrka

Liked: 14 Times

can anyone recommend some good religious courses (2nd or 3rd year)????
Old 06-30-2009
Lifejacket
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-30-2009 at 07:46 PM   #26
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrka View Post
can anyone recommend some good religious courses (2nd or 3rd year)????
I've heard Religious Studies 2C03 is a good course, it's called Moral Issues. It's cross-listed with Philosophy 2D03. I'm planning on maybe taking it too.

Course Review: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...losoph y+2d03
Old 06-30-2009 at 08:15 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I've heard Religious Studies 2C03 is a good course, it's called Moral Issues. It's cross-listed with Philosophy 2D03. I'm planning on maybe taking it too.

Course Review: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...losoph y+2d03
I'll be taking that in summer if they offer it. If not I'm taking it next year. I need it for optometry. It does sound very interesting though.