MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Made by Mac Creative Challenge - Vote! staceygab MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-06-2011 07:59 PM
Creative Christmas greeting for my gf? gongshow General Discussion 17 12-25-2010 09:38 PM
Creative Writing Club? Faer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-06-2010 02:48 PM

A Creative Writing English Course

Old 06-08-2011 at 12:57 PM   #16
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Hmm, only in Term 1...great! *goes to check if reading lists are up* Thank you!

EDIT: Btw, if you like writing, have you ever checked out NaNoWriMo? (*blatant non-self-advertisement*)
Old 06-08-2011 at 01:15 PM   #17
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Hmm, only in Term 1...great! *goes to check if reading lists are up* Thank you!

EDIT: Btw, if you like writing, have you ever checked out NaNoWriMo? (*blatant non-self-advertisement*)

Ahahaha, yeah, I have, but it's not for me.

And no problem! I hope you find what you're looking for in English courses, and if you have any more questions, feel free to PM
Old 06-08-2011 at 01:33 PM   #18
Faer
Elite Member

Aww, that's a shame. Thanks for the offer though, I'll keep it in mind!
Old 06-08-2011 at 01:51 PM   #19
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

English 1CS3 is a really good option as far as creative writing goes. It is Intro to English and Culture Studies. Yes, you still have to write on the assigned topic, but since it references so many modern themes it's a lot more open-ended. For instance, you can choose an option like writing about Matthew Arnold's historcal views on high or capital C culture, or you can choose something a lot broader like writing about a consumer product (of your choice) and it's place in today's society. I had an awesome TA and got a 10 in this class. Truth be told, the prof is a little boring but because the content is so interesting it makes up for it. We spent a whole class on Lady Gaga. I totally recommend it. Good luck! :
Old 06-08-2011 at 03:42 PM   #20
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Quote:
That sounds so AMAZING. I mean, true, it's kinda nerve-wracking to read it out, but wow. I love it. Only 16 spots though, that's horrible. D:
Now that I think about it, the max was maybe 20 or 22, but a couple of kids dropped the class and on any given class the turnout would be somewhere between a dozen and 15. Since you're only reading your own piece every other class, there's no incentive, grades wise, to show up to the other classes.

But yeah I was crazy nervous every time it was my turn to read. Before taking the class I was afraid that I would be the worst writer there and everyone else would be these professional writer-type superscribes, but there really weren't any. After the couple of weeks I got the feeling that I was among the better writers in the class, but even if I knew that what I had written was probably pretty good, I was a nervous wreck when I saw my turn coming up.

My biggest criticism of the class was that everyone was too easy on each other's work. Everyone was really hesitant to pick apart a bad piece and there was a lot of "What I liked about this was..." And there were a couple of kids who consistently turned in poor pieces but they thought it was great stuff and were really defensive when someone (including the teacher) criticised them.
Old 06-08-2011 at 03:56 PM   #21
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelve Chars View Post
Now that I think about it, the max was maybe 20 or 22, but a couple of kids dropped the class and on any given class the turnout would be somewhere between a dozen and 15. Since you're only reading your own piece every other class, there's no incentive, grades wise, to show up to the other classes.

But yeah I was crazy nervous every time it was my turn to read. Before taking the class I was afraid that I would be the worst writer there and everyone else would be these professional writer-type superscribes, but there really weren't any. After the couple of weeks I got the feeling that I was among the better writers in the class, but even if I knew that what I had written was probably pretty good, I was a nervous wreck when I saw my turn coming up.

My biggest criticism of the class was that everyone was too easy on each other's work. Everyone was really hesitant to pick apart a bad piece and there was a lot of "What I liked about this was..." And there were a couple of kids who consistently turned in poor pieces but they thought it was great stuff and were really defensive when someone (including the teacher) criticised them.
Constructive criticism is really hard to take...That's why I'm usually too hesitant to let people read my works. However, I love criticising stuff. O__O I'll usually pick out a ton of mistakes and angles to be improved on mercilessly, which people would probably find annoying. However, I find people aren't that good at critiquing themselves...I'd love to have my work torn apart in detail too, but it rarely ever happens.

I saw one creative writing course being offered on the timetable, but it's like 4Xsomethingorother. :/

That said, I thought 3Y03 (children's lit) wasn't being offered? Have you taken that course before?
Old 06-08-2011 at 04:04 PM   #22
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

No, but I did sign up for it yesterday.

The 4th year writing course is a seminar course, only 4th year English majors can take it. And even then it's awfully competetive because it's the most intrigueing seminar course offered by a mile. It's taught by the same prof (Donaldson) that taught my writing class so I'm sure it'll be a great class, though I won't be in it :*(
Old 06-08-2011 at 04:07 PM   #23
Faer
Elite Member

I'm hoping to take 3Y03 as well (since they aren't offering Fairytale *still miffed about that*), but I'm afraid I might find it a drag...even though I know it's about Child. Lit.. As long as it doesn't conflict with my other courses....

I hope there are reviews up for it. Nope, just a very nice one for 3F03... :/

EDIT: Dang, that seminar sounds interesting! If I was majoring in English. XD

Last edited by Faer : 06-08-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2011 at 02:10 PM   #24
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Ok because most of the English courses conflict with her current courses, she's deciding between American Lit, Canadian Lit and British Lit. What do you guys suggest?
Old 06-09-2011 at 02:14 PM   #25
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
I'm hoping to take 3Y03 as well (since they aren't offering Fairytale *still miffed about that*), but I'm afraid I might find it a drag...even though I know it's about Child. Lit.. As long as it doesn't conflict with my other courses....

I hope there are reviews up for it. Nope, just a very nice one for 3F03... :/

EDIT: Dang, that seminar sounds interesting! If I was majoring in English. XD
I heard children's literature is really depressing.
Old 06-09-2011 at 02:25 PM   #26
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Ok because most of the English courses conflict with her current courses, she's deciding between American Lit, Canadian Lit and British Lit. What do you guys suggest?
If it's the full year modern British Lit course, the prof (Brophy) is awesome

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 06-09-2011 at 02:37 PM   #27
BVictor

Liked: 7 Times

For those of you who are still looking for an experience similar to the course, join the McMaster Creative Writing and Poetry Club. There's a Facebook group for it, and I'm sure Nick and Amanda will have a stall set up during Clubfest this year.

I was only able to make it to meetings until mid-October as midterms and formal labs made it difficult to attend. They're mainly poetry-based (at least the President is) but they are open to prose. I remember this one meeting where a couple of them did readings of these two short stories they were working on and I was simply blown away.

As far as feedback is concerned, you'll need to tell them how "honest" you want them to be. They comply. It's a fun experience if you have the time.
Old 06-09-2011 at 02:43 PM   #28
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
If it's the full year modern British Lit course, the prof (Brophy) is awesome
Brophy IS awesome! Just agreeing.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 06-09-2011 at 03:07 PM   #29
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor View Post
For those of you who are still looking for an experience similar to the course, join the McMaster Creative Writing and Poetry Club. There's a Facebook group for it, and I'm sure Nick and Amanda will have a stall set up during Clubfest this year.

I was only able to make it to meetings until mid-October as midterms and formal labs made it difficult to attend. They're mainly poetry-based (at least the President is) but they are open to prose. I remember this one meeting where a couple of them did readings of these two short stories they were working on and I was simply blown away.

As far as feedback is concerned, you'll need to tell them how "honest" you want them to be. They comply. It's a fun experience if you have the time.
I emailed NIck last term. The timing conflicted with a class and I'm not one to burst in in the middle and so I just sorta let it go...

But I'm definitely going to try drop by during the fall! Even if I'm not going to be reading aloud (do I have to?) I'd love to help give feedback.