MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
CSCT/English 3A03 lorend 3rd Year Course Reviews 2 08-11-2010 04:54 PM
CSCT/English 2J03 lorend 2nd Year Course Reviews 3 08-15-2009 04:42 PM
CSCT 1B03 vs. CSCT 1BB3 MarissaK First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-18-2009 06:12 AM
CSCT/English 3CC3 lorend 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 06-18-2008 10:46 PM
CSCT/English 3AA3 lorend 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 06-18-2008 10:40 PM

CSCT/English 1B03

CSCT/English 1B03
Cultural Studies and Visual Culture
Published by lorend
06-18-2008
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Author review
Overall Rating
60%60%60%
Professor Rating
50%50%50%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 63%
CSCT/English 1B03

I took this class in Term II of 2004/2005.

The prof I had was sessional and is now gone. Thankfully I had a good TA and did well because of her, because the prof was terrible.

The course was on the visual aspects of culture: movies, tv shows, the media. I really enjoyed the stuff on the news. I did not however enjoy the Monstorous Feminine.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for CSCT/English 1B03!

Old 07-02-2008 at 03:44 PM   #2
monikah124
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
how is the work done in this course? is it essay intensive? what kind of exams?
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-08-2008 at 10:26 AM   #3
nh999
Elite Member
Program: Physiology
Year: Alumni

Liked: 15 Times
I took this class in Fall 2007 with Dr Ferris.

There were two essays: one was 500 words, the other 1000 words. So it's not that "essay intensive", considering many other humanities/socsci courses require longer essays. And of course, the TAs mark the essays so hope for a TA that grades easier..!

Our exam had 40 MC and 6 short answers, which we were able to prepare ahead of time, so it wasn't bad.
Old 07-26-2008 at 06:43 AM   #4
meerf
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 7 Times
I will say if it isnt for the course material, I would have killed my self. The class is very interesting itself. The essays are easy too. But teh final exam is just a killer!

Old 04-10-2009 at 01:20 PM   #5
Quester
Faculty: None
Year: Other
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerf View Post
I will say if it isnt for the course material, I would have killed my self. The class is very interesting itself. The essays are easy too. But teh final exam is just a killer!
How so?
Old 08-15-2009 at 04:43 PM   #6
shortyy88
Year: Fourth

hey I'm trying to choose between English 2J03, 1B03, and 1BB3... i need 2 out of the 3.. any suggestions? I need to take it for prerequisites for grad school but i also need something I'm not going to do poorly in... so no lower than an 8... I'm decent in english.. but I'm in science so any advice on which 2 i should choose?

thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:41 PM   #7
Anna21
Program: Humanities (General)
Residence: Bates

Liked: 1 Time
I'm considering taking this course in fall 2011 as an elective (I'm in Life Science but I'm really good at English too). I'm not a huge fan of reading a lot but I do enjoy analyzing/writing. For term 1, there's O'Brien and for term 2, there's A. Dean. I've read reviews on both and they're supposed to be really good. Should I take this course? I'm having a really hard time choosing between this and a bunch of other social science courses.
Old 12-15-2011 at 04:24 PM   #8
whatwillannd

I took this course recently with Dr. Susie O'Brien. Dr. O'Brien is a great writer and cares deeply about her students, but is not the most engaging lecturer, unfortunately. One would think that a course largely about pop culture would be a bit more engaging but sadly not always. I found it to be a little heavy on the articles assigned for a first year course, but the material was basic enough to keep up with. The exam was very fair, and the assignments quite easy (one 500 word "essay", one tutorial and one 750 or 1000 word [i forget?] essay, plus exam).

I'd be curious to know what other people taking this course thought!
Old 02-01-2012 at 01:44 PM   #9
mediagurl
Program: Multimedia
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 22 Times
I took this in Fall 2011. LOVED the course. We did 2 short essays, tutorial pres. and a final exam. Essays were a bit hard to do, took a lot of thinking and critical analyzes but it is a great class. I had an amazing TA which made all the difference.
Old 03-25-2012 at 02:21 PM   #10
Anna21
Program: Humanities (General)
Residence: Bates

Yeah, I ended up switching into humanities and taking this course as well with O'Brien. It ended up being one of my favourite first year courses! It was very interesting and eye-opening. The essays required a lot of analysis, which I thought was fun. The only thing I didn't like too much was the amount of reading (textbook chapter + around 2 articles per week). Don't get me wrong... the readings were very interesting but dense and took me a long time to get through. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of reading anyways, but what can you do when you're a humanities (or, I guess, in general--a university) student?
Old 09-08-2012 at 09:15 PM   #11
gillgs5
Program: Political Science
Year: Second

This course does have a good bit of reading but the workload is not very intensive. Participation in tutorial will get you the good grade. I only went to 3 lectures during the entire semester but still got an 11. Material is somewhat interesting if you are into cultural norms, activism and similar stuff. I would recommend this course to anyone who can read and write a decent essay.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search