MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-16-2008 at 01:03 AM   #1
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Dc++
I know there have been a few threads regarding this but i had a quick question, and for those that dont know this is a file sharing program for Mcmaster students.

Since it is what it is, a file sharing program between students, how exactly do you go about finding stuff. Say i wanted to download a rare song, or a friends episode, hell, maybe even some adult entertainment, does somebody esle using DC++ need to have the file on their program to share it with me, or is this basically the limewire for Mcmaster students??
Old 08-16-2008 at 01:20 AM   #2
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time

Yes. I believe so. One would assume it works much like pier to pier sharing.
Old 08-16-2008 at 04:15 AM   #3
Kevin

Yes, someone else needs to have the file in their shared folder in order for you to access it. As for the adult entertainment...you'l l have no problem whatsoever finding what your heart desires. It's consistantly the most searched item on DC++
Old 08-16-2008 at 09:07 AM   #4
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

"Adult Entertainment" is probobly one of the easiest things to find in DC++.. pretty much every popular user has it haha. TV shows and movies are probobly the biggest thing on DC++ though.

Old 08-16-2008 at 11:17 PM   #5
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

There is always a minimum file sharing limit to be able to log on to McMaster's hub on DC++. It's nothing big, just something like you need to be sharing 500mb. You are able to select which folders you want to be open to the public to be uploaded.

When you want to search for something, you can select between many different formats including audio, movies, zip, etc. You just type in the name of something, and all possible matches come up, but only for those people that are online. Usually at any given time, there are tons of people online, so you usually won't have a problem finding anything.

You also have the option of selecting a specific person's name and looking through their files. So you can select "Gay ****" or "Straight ****" and search through their files if you wanted to. Both of which have been long time members since the beginning with me with the largest collection of adult material. Actually last year, there were so many discussions on DC about the incredible amounts of gay **** Most conversations are more civilized however.

Actually no, they're really immature and silly.... Mostly about counter strike!
Old 08-16-2008 at 11:34 PM   #6
samantha__
Elite Member

AHAH Gay **** OWNED. He was the first user I saw on DC++ and from then on in, I knew I was in love. LOL joking. But really, I find the best thing to do is to rank everyone according to their file size.. in general, More Files = More Variety or More Popular Files

Old 08-16-2008 at 11:39 PM   #7
mitch
Elite Member

Haha, Samantha. I never would have thought that about you I kid.
Old 08-17-2008 at 12:04 AM   #8
Kevin

Lol ya sometimes it seemed like there was more gay **** then straight ****
Old 08-17-2008 at 12:36 AM   #9
Ruggedman

so how do you go about downloading this material on DC++

I mean, since your getting it from someone esle right, how did that person get the material, video audio ect on their program to begin with?

Also im a long time limewire lover and have NEVER had a hard time finding anything on it so i want too see which works better, i know dc++ will be faster but im still assured limewire has more stuff that im looking for.

And how exactly do i go about downloading material from g** **** or straight **** or whoever these ppl are lol
Old 08-17-2008 at 12:43 AM   #10
mitch
Elite Member

To download anything, you just double click on the item you want and that's it. DC++ will most likely have everything you want. I never knew anyone that used Limewire in rez. Limewire has lots of viruses as well. You'll find out soon enough that you won't need limewire. But keep it for the summer months. Usually someone already has the material either downloaded from Limewire or other programs, or from a torrent. One person always gets the stuff for everyone, so you don't need to worry about it!
Old 08-17-2008 at 12:56 AM   #11
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Ruggedman,

there will be an article on DC++ (with installation, setup, tips, etc) released in the near future (probably when res move in starts). Stay tuned

Old 08-17-2008 at 01:19 AM   #12
furrys

when i was in first year, there were about 4/5 people who would grab all the big releases (tv shows, movies, games, etc) as soon as they came out and they would be on dc++ pretty much right away. it was pretty sweet.

keep in mind dc++ speeds are insane. you're transferring files over the same network, NOT the internet so you'll be trading files at ridiculous speeds. unless things changed it took like 30 seconds to grab a 30 minute show (175mb) or just over a minute for an hour long show (350mb). i miss dc++... it sucks that you can only use it in res, and not from wifi on macconnect.
Old 08-17-2008 at 07:24 AM   #13
samantha__
Elite Member

I remember watching American Gangster before it even came out.. and the quality was fantastic haha. Sorry Denzel!

Old 08-18-2008 at 09:08 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Wow, that is damn fast. o.O So most TV shows will be available on DC++ like House, Heroes, Numbers?
Old 08-18-2008 at 10:51 AM   #15
mitch
Elite Member

Yeah, pretty much every episode of every show will be there. I remember some guy even had the entire series of Dragon ball z and that's over 400 episodes :o When an episode airs on TV, it could be on DC that very night, or a couple of days.