MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-07-2009 at 11:52 PM   #16
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Internet speeds usually were 1-8Mb/s depending on how many people are downloading at the time.

Last edited by syaseen_360 : 08-07-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2009 at 12:06 AM   #17
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen_360 View Post
I normally got about 15-35 mb/s
I highly doubt you went anywhere even close to 35 MB/s . Most hard drives can't even write faster than 20 MB/s. Average on DC++ is probably somewhere between 2 to 5 MB/s. It drops dramatically when you go over wireless :p

Also, make sure you guys share stuff people want. I hate how many people just shared their Windows folder on the C drive. Nobody wants your DLLs.
Old 08-08-2009 at 12:07 AM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I highly doubt you went anywhere even close to 35 MB/s . Most hard drives can't even write faster than 20 MB/s. Average on DC++ is probably somewhere between 2 to 5 MB/s. It drops dramatically when you go over wireless :p

Also, make sure you guys share stuff people want. I hate how many people just shared their Windows folder on the C drive. Nobody wants your DLLs.
Yeah, seriously, just make 1 folder that you share and have all DC++ downloads go there.
Old 08-08-2009 at 12:30 AM   #19
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:

Haha, but think about this: the people who share their entire C drive probably don't know what a DLL is!
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:23 AM   #20
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucif3x View Post
Usually how quickly do DVD-RIP quality films end up on DC++? And TV episodes? (Big Bang Theory?).
Well it depends how quickly they appear on other sites, since people have to get the videos first.

I know someone who usually got every high-demand show on DC within an hour or two after airing last year, but I keep forgetting where he gets them from. He's not on campus this year though =/

Movies are a different story (obv)
Old 08-08-2009 at 01:24 AM   #21
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
I started getting 35 MB/s transfer rates when the school seemingly upgraded their network (around the time we also got unlimited bandwidth usage online). It was more than enough to bring my relatively high end laptop to a crawl.

Last edited by Tailsnake : 08-08-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-08-2009 at 09:51 AM   #22
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Apparently this year DC++ will be for Off-Campus students too. And no, not the seperate socs hub, but the original official mac hub

And yes, on campus, if downloading from another student on campus, you average about 20-25mbps

TV shows are on pretty fast, thanks to 'certain' individuals
Old 08-08-2009 at 10:30 AM   #23
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Apparently this year DC++ will be for Off-Campus students too. And no, not the seperate socs hub, but the original official mac hub
Yeah, but if you want to download anything you'd have to do a bunch of configurations not to mention the download speed off campus is depended on your internet speed.

I'm just going to be using DC++ for the chat feature =/
Old 08-08-2009 at 11:45 AM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Well it depends how quickly they appear on other sites, since people have to get the videos first.

I know someone who usually got every high-demand show on DC within an hour or two after airing last year, but I keep forgetting where he gets them from. He's not on campus this year though =/

Movies are a different story (obv)
I get the shows from ninjavideo.net. It's not the fastest site to upload videos but there were a couple times when I was first to upload the videos on DC++. I usually don't download the movies because they are initially cammed, but NV usually has movies up even before they are released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
You should also be careful to not pass your bandwidth unless you are fine with paying extra fees. (For off-campus people)
Old 08-08-2009 at 11:50 AM   #25
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Ninjavideo pisses me off sometimes because often my downloads there just cuts off midway. =/
Old 08-08-2009 at 11:53 AM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Ninjavideo pisses me off sometimes because often my downloads there just cuts off midway. =/
What? Really? Never happened to me before...
Old 08-08-2009 at 12:09 PM   #27
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

ITT: people who don't know the difference between MBps and Mbps

On DC++ you would get speeds of about 5MBps. Depends on the person who is uploading and what client you're using.

Torrent speeds depend on the tracker and seeds/peers. I have gotten speeds around 2MBps down.
Speedtest.net speed for oncampus internet is around 20Mbps which is about 2.5MBps (1Byte=8bits)