MacInsiders Logo
Old 11-28-2009 at 01:37 PM   #31
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
>implying anyone said the OS was bad
you paid hundreds of dollar extra for a shiny case.

and the OS is pretty bad. enjoy having to dualboot or run a VM program to use windows apps.
Everything runs on Windows (et's see you run MS Access on a Mac)

And I have never gotten a virus or anything from using a computer. I use Common Sense 2010 as my AV/Firewall.
a) I did spend quite some money, but it's it much better condition than my friends' computers that were were hundreds less, but they've spent that to fix issues, or go through another computer entirely.

b) I am almost completely independent from Windows apps, minus MS Visio for a group project (which runs perfectly in Parallels). Why would I need Access (which would run fine under virtualization, BTW)? Sure there are tons of programs on Windows, but for every 10 Windows programs there is one Mac/UNIX program that does a better job.

c) I know it's clicheed, but I don't have/need antivirus software.

EDIT: But I'm not like most Mac snobs. I try not to slam Windows that much, as it is a good platform (it's just not my cup of tea).

Last edited by aaront : 11-28-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2009 at 02:18 PM   #32
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
I use Common Sense 2010 as my AV/Firewall.
Hahaha, Nice.
Old 11-28-2009 at 03:42 PM   #33
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
And I have never gotten a virus or anything from using a computer. I use Common Sense 2010 as my AV/Firewall.
Ya, I really don't understand how people can possibly get viruses anymore. Google and all other search engines (and the build in Windows Defender thingy) all filter out that shit.

I cringe whenever I hear anyone say "Durrr I use Norton Anti-Virus/Symantec"

Enjoy your memory leak.
Old 11-28-2009 at 04:59 PM   #34
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

It's because people still think Limewire is an acceptable form of P2P sharing.
Old 11-28-2009 at 09:09 PM   #35
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
a) I did spend quite some money, but it's it much better condition than my friends' computers that were were hundreds less, but they've spent that to fix issues, or go through another computer entirely.

b) I am almost completely independent from Windows apps, minus MS Visio for a group project (which runs perfectly in Parallels). Why would I need Access (which would run fine under virtualization, BTW)? Sure there are tons of programs on Windows, but for every 10 Windows programs there is one Mac/UNIX program that does a better job.

c) I know it's clicheed, but I don't have/need antivirus software.

EDIT: But I'm not like most Mac snobs. I try not to slam Windows that much, as it is a good platform (it's just not my cup of tea).
i really dont wanna start another mac vs windows war, but cmon if u were a person that made viruses, what would u rather make a virus for windows or mac? 90%+ population of the world uses windows, why waste time making virus for 1 person in the group of 10 ppl when u can hurt 9 in 10 instead. Not to mention, 2 or 3 viruses have been found in mac.

Saying that u can use parallels just implies that mac OS is dependable on windows for some apps. My friend wasted 2 hrs downloading a compiler for netbeans for his mac. Not to mention u guys can even run most of the games w/o having to reboot your computer into windows.
Old 11-29-2009 at 10:57 AM   #36
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
i really dont wanna start another mac vs windows war, but cmon if u were a person that made viruses, what would u rather make a virus for windows or mac? 90%+ population of the world uses windows, why waste time making virus for 1 person in the group of 10 ppl when u can hurt 9 in 10 instead. Not to mention, 2 or 3 viruses have been found in mac.

Saying that u can use parallels just implies that mac OS is dependable on windows for some apps. My friend wasted 2 hrs downloading a compiler for netbeans for his mac. Not to mention u guys can even run most of the games w/o having to reboot your computer into windows.
I'd say the level of security in Mac OS is greater, as it is with most UNIXs, than Windows. To do anything malicious, you'd need to enter your password.

Why does he need to compile NetBeans, when it is already provided for Mac OS?

I don't play games other than World of Goo. And a lot of games are now compatible with Mac, thanks to Transgaming (a Canadian company), which EA and several other companies license the technology from.

But yeah, obviously there is no winner to this argument, so I just accept that people have different preferences than I do. And thats fine. I just find that I personally have to fix way more Windows PCs among friends (who are equally divided 50-50 between Mac and Windows).

But, FWIW, I do think that everyone should upgrade to Windows 7. A lot less headaches, that's for sure.

EDIT: And please, for the love of all that is good, use Firefox, Opera, or Chrome.
Old 11-29-2009 at 03:21 PM   #37
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
Unix based systems have always been more stable and more secure than DOS based systems (aka all the Windowses). Your logic isn't incorrect in assumption, but evidence suggests that the primary reason that viruses aren't as prevalent is due to the fact that it's much harder to get viruses to attack system processes.

Also, the rationale that Windows is better than OS X because there are more programs on it is bunk. The reason for that is an over-reliance on Microsoft's software. You would use Access because it is built to accommodate Microsoft's personal database engine.

Move away from that database engine, and you have a wealth of possibilities and programs to use. It's not a valid argument.

If you want reasons as to why OS X is better than the Windows OS, you need to look at native system processes and features. First off, OS X has far better disk management than Windows. You don't need to defragment on OS X because the system allocates space on the HDD much more intelligently than the ambigious and random way in which Windows does. These are all features of Cocoa.

Next, virtualization is a great reason as to the strength of OS X. It is so versatile that it can accommodate programs built for different architecture. I can't go into Windows and use any of the native Apple programs that I use.

Third, system resources are much more efficient, especially in Snow Leopard with the new Grand Central Dispatch which utilizes the strength of the multiple cores of the CPU independently. In the era of multicore processors this is a leading technology that Windows has yet to achieve.

Now, if people want to argue with all this, you do need to understand that the biggest software companies in the world are switching to Macs because of the versatility of machines which can run many different OSs.

And for the record, I use a Mac not because I thought it was cool, but because my dad, who has had a 20+ year career in software engineering advocates for the use of Macs because of all the points I listed above. No offense to you guys but you are all students who haven't had nearly enough experience to know what you are talking about.
Old 11-29-2009 at 03:51 PM   #38
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

No, the Mac OS X journaled file system is shit. Even Linus Torvalds himself said it was crap.

Also, Mac OS X has been labeled one of the least secure systems (if not the most). In those random hacker contests that happen every so often, OS X always falls first, then Windows, and then "maybe" linux. This is why you almost never see anyone using OS X based servers.

It may be pretty on the outside, but it's a pretty big mess on the inside.

Also, Vista and Windows 7 are both very capable of self defragmenting.

Quote:
Next, virtualization is a great reason as to the strength of OS X. It is so versatile that it can accommodate programs built for different architecture. I can't go into Windows and use any of the native Apple programs that I use.
Why would anyone want to run a mac program on their PC? Also, it's apples fault for that not being possible.

Quote:
Now, if people want to argue with all this, you do need to understand that the biggest software companies in the world are switching to Macs because of the versatility of machines which can run many different OSs.
Any computer can run many different OSs.

Quote:
And for the record, I use a Mac not because I thought it was cool, but because my dad, who has had a 20+ year career in software engineering advocates for the use of Macs because of all the points I listed above. No offense to you guys but you are all students who haven't had nearly enough experience to know what you are talking about.
LOL. Internet tough guy much?

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 11-29-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2009 at 04:03 PM   #39
Penguin

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Unix based systems have always been more stable and more secure than DOS based systems (aka all the Windowses). Your logic isn't incorrect in assumption, but evidence suggests that the primary reason that viruses aren't as prevalent is due to the fact that it's much harder to get viruses to attack system processes.

Also, the rationale that Windows is better than OS X because there are more programs on it is bunk. The reason for that is an over-reliance on Microsoft's software. You would use Access because it is built to accommodate Microsoft's personal database engine.

Move away from that database engine, and you have a wealth of possibilities and programs to use. It's not a valid argument.

If you want reasons as to why OS X is better than the Windows OS, you need to look at native system processes and features. First off, OS X has far better disk management than Windows. You don't need to defragment on OS X because the system allocates space on the HDD much more intelligently than the ambigious and random way in which Windows does. These are all features of Cocoa.

Third, system resources are much more efficient, especially in Snow Leopard with the new Grand Central Dispatch which utilizes the strength of the multiple cores of the CPU independently. In the era of multicore processors this is a leading technology that Windows has yet to achieve.

lol ur pretty funny

every OS can emulate... just noone wants to emulate OSX cause well... that's just a waste of hard drive space.
Old 11-29-2009
deadpool
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-29-2009 at 04:18 PM   #40
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Don't think I didn't see that post you just deleted.
Old 11-29-2009 at 04:20 PM   #41
Penguin

Liked: 1 Time

Do you stalk people over DC all the time, or is it just certain individuals you like to follow up on the internets? loL.
Old 11-29-2009 at 04:22 PM   #42
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

Also, Mac OS X has been labeled one of the least secure systems (if not the most). In those random hacker contests that happen every so often, OS X always falls first, then Windows, and then "maybe" linux. This is why you almost never see anyone using OS X based servers.
I have to quote this for truth.... Ever heard of Pwn2Own? It was a competition to hack computers and whomever won them would win cash and keep the computer(s) they hacked.

The apple machines were hacked within seconds. Seriously, if there were more Apple users, Apple would be no different than Microsoft in terms of their security reputation.

Linux is considered "unhackable", but that reputation comes from the lack of glory attributed to hacking the system... right now Apple is riding on a bit of a high because people think it's an unshakable system, so whenever hackers get the chance to do their work in the limelight (like at Pwn2Own), they destroy Apple, and then hack Windows, and then Linux if there's time. Since people rarely try to hack Linux, people think it's unhackable... basically the same reputation Apple had for a while (at least until people started proving that apple is just as vulnerable as Windows is).
Old 11-29-2009 at 07:15 PM   #43
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
lol ur pretty funny

every OS can emulate... just noone wants to emulate OSX cause well... that's just a waste of hard drive space.
Or because you're not allowed to as per the EULA.
Old 11-29-2009 at 08:32 PM   #44
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Or because you're not allowed to as per the EULA.
Or because OS X is only compatible with certain hardware, whereas you can pop a Windows or a linux install CD into almost ANY computer and have it run perfectly.