MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

DC++ question

Old 09-05-2009 at 10:00 PM   #1
eric_3490

Liked: 7 Times

DC++ question
Anyone want to tell me how to connect to the schools network through DC++ or however it works I cant figure it out.

Old 09-05-2009 at 10:07 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_3490 View Post
Anyone want to tell me how to connect to the schools network through DC++ or however it works I cant figure it out.
You downloaded the application right? This is the server: machub.dyndns.org

Also check out: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1948 7

I believe the only thing that changed is the minimum sharing limit, which is 512Mb now.
Old 09-05-2009 at 10:08 PM   #3
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

install dc++ client
connect to machub.dyndns.org or whatever the hub address is
?????
Proit!

Equinox likes this.
Old 09-05-2009 at 10:09 PM   #4
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I'm using ApexDC++ right now and I've since forgotten how the regular one looks like but it should be largely the same:

After you installed it, go to your settings and click the downloads tab. Set a folder for your finished downloads. Go to sharing to and select some folders you'd like to share (I forgot what the limit is, I think it's 500 mb, but you need to share a certain amount if you want to be on the hub. It's easier if you make your downloads folder your sharing folder as well)

Exit settings, go to your favourite hubs. It should be this button that's a star on the toolbar. Click on new, add any name you want, and have the address be machub.dyndns.org

Click on the icon next to it once you added it to your favourites list so you auto connect to it every time.

As a side note, the hub is accessible to off campus students this year (I'm off campus too ), but download speeds would be slower if you're stealing from off campus students than from on campus students, so don't be too worried when you're not getting full length movies in under 3 minutes like you might have heard.
Old 09-05-2009 at 11:14 PM   #5
eric_3490

Liked: 7 Times

Thanks for the help guys, I got it working.

Old 09-06-2009 at 01:30 AM   #6
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

For some reson I can't download anything from offcampus. I set it up as usual. Anyone care to help>?
I get connection timeout
Old 09-06-2009 at 03:17 AM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

go to http://machub.dyndns.org/ for instructions on how to set it up and get it working off campus
Old 09-06-2009 at 03:32 AM   #8
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
go to http://machub.dyndns.org/ for instructions on how to set it up and get it working off campus
nah, was too hard...just set up uPnP for the port forward rather than do it manually. Takes a while to connect properly, but I'm happy
Old 09-06-2009 at 08:38 AM   #9
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

What do you have to do to set up DC++ on campus, but not on residence lines?
Old 09-06-2009 at 10:38 AM   #10
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Nice works like a charm.

Old 09-06-2009 at 12:33 PM   #11
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay919 View Post
What do you have to do to set up DC++ on campus, but not on residence lines?
why would you want to avoid residence lines on campus, that's the whole point of DC++
Old 09-06-2009 at 01:17 PM   #12
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

I'm so confused lol.
I have a program for Mac called ShakesPeer but I'm confuzzled as to how to set it up :S
Old 09-06-2009 at 01:33 PM   #13
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Hi guys,

Check out http://machub.dyndns.org if you're having any problems with setting up DC++. It should have enough links to any generic problems you're having.

Also, there's several major restrictions for non-residence campus lines that make connecting to DC++ pointless. I wouldn't recommend it.

Cheers,
Schuyler
Old 09-06-2009 at 01:33 PM   #14
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Not to hijack the thread, but is it possible to connect from on campus, but not in res?
Old 09-06-2009 at 01:35 PM   #15
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Yes Phil, but however I don't think you'll be able to download/upload anything due to firewall restrictions found in all the public wireless access areas. You will be able to use the chatroom though!

-Sky

Phil says thanks to sjager for this post.