MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deal Roundup MacPack Student Deals & Discounts 2 09-24-2012 10:19 PM
DEAL: Today only - 80% OFF the GAP Chad Student Deals & Discounts 0 11-24-2011 07:22 AM
internet deal mamamia Student Deals & Discounts 8 09-22-2011 12:18 AM
What's the deal with V for Vendetta? Kendoon Movies & Television 21 01-12-2011 04:56 PM
How to deal with spambots SilentWalker General Discussion 3 11-08-2010 11:49 AM

How to deal with a messy suitemate...

Old 12-09-2013 at 12:34 AM   #1
vpdltm

Liked: 4 Times

How to deal with a messy suitemate...
OK, so I wasn't gonna post this... but I just had to.

I feel very uncomfortable when I'm paired with a roommate (mainly due to my OCD-like symptoms), so I've always lived in a single room.
Just this year, however, I decided to live in suite style apartment.

My suitemate is an international student, and he and I are both Asians (although he's from a different country), so despite some bad racial stereotypes my friends used to tell me, I thought I would be fine living with him.

A major problem I am currently having with this guy is that he is unbelievably messy.
First of all, I don't even know how he does that, but he clogs the toilet on a regular basis. But then... he doesn't bother trying to unclog it, and just pretends as if the toilet is working perfectly fine -- he even pees in it even when the toilet doesn't flush. Like.... please....

So the first time this happened, I told him nicely not to do that. And then I had to request a plumber to unclog it.

After that, however, this just kept happening.. and every time, I had to be the one who requested a plumber every single fucking time.

It's the 7th time it's happened now (this term alone), and I just have no idea how to deal with it.
This time, I haven't said anything to him. It's been clogged for 2 days now and I'm just gonna watch how far he's willing to take this. In the meantime, of course, he keeps pretending like the toilet flushes normally and keeps peeing on top of the toilet paper that's floating around..

It's really disgusting to see the contents every morning I have to use the bathroom to take a shower.

Can someone give me some practical advise that would work in this situation?

Last edited by vpdltm : 12-09-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2013 at 01:00 AM   #2
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Hi Chris,

I would suggest that you two have a serious talk. Ask him if has has time to talk, sit down and talk very frankly about it, no minced words, no hinting. Ask him if he puts something like paper towel in the toilet bowl, things which can't be flushed down. Also tell him that you've noticed that he doesn't flush after he pees and that he should, because you should not have to see his piss.

Also, I suggest that you guys buy a good plunger. In my experience, something like this works better than your old classic plunger.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ctId=1 278186

The one on the right is also okay: http://www.salsplumbing.com/wp-conte.../plumbing7.jpg

Not the one on the left, it takes a long time when using that.

Teach him how to unclog. And I don't mean show him.

If he still keeps repeating, you might have to put your foot down and hand a plunger to him and make him unclog it right then.

You can't work with the silent, passive aggressive stuff with people you live. It doesn't turn out good, ever.
Old 12-09-2013 at 01:36 AM   #3
Suspect

Liked: 61 Times

Straight up call his parents and ask them to unclog the toilet for you.
Old 12-09-2013 at 01:45 AM   #4
vpdltm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Hi Chris,

I would suggest that you two have a serious talk. Ask him if has has time to talk, sit down and talk very frankly about it, no minced words, no hinting. Ask him if he puts something like paper towel in the toilet bowl, things which can't be flushed down. Also tell him that you've noticed that he doesn't flush after he pees and that he should, because you should not have to see his piss.

Also, I suggest that you guys buy a good plunger. In my experience, something like this works better than your old classic plunger.
Woah dat first plunger...

Quote:
Straight up call his parents and ask them to unclog the toilet for you.
I really wish I could do that..
Old 12-09-2013 at 01:49 AM   #5
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

is his name jason
Old 12-09-2013 at 02:03 AM   #6
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

What's that? An obsessive compulsive person living with messy slob?

I smell a waaaacky sitcom!

Quote:
First of all, I don't even know how he does that, but he clogs the toilet on a regular basis.
Tell him to lay off Taco Bell for a while.

Quote:
But then... he doesn't bother trying to unclog it, and just pretends as if the toilet is working perfectly fine -- he even pees in it even when the toilet doesn't flush. Like.... please....
That's easy to solve, leave the toilet as it is. In a week he will notice piss and shit coming back up, possibly flooding the bathroom. That will bring him to action.

Last edited by MrPlinkett : 12-09-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2013 at 09:29 AM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

It sounds like you're in res...if that's the case, talk to your CA to see if he/she has any advice or can talk to the guy - sometimes it helps if it's coming from someone different.
Old 12-09-2013 at 11:52 AM   #8
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

It's a bad situation to be in. Do what Afzal said. If it persists, go to your residence manager and explain the situation... it is the responsibility of all occupants to keep the place clean and well-maintained. If it persists after your residence manager talks to him, go back to your residence manage and say that you would like to have the rooming arrangements changed. This happened to a friend last year, where her roommates would not stop partying. Unfortunately the residence manage did not enforce the code of conduct, but instead found a new suite for the student who was unhappy about the parties. Sucks, but it is an option.
Old 12-09-2013 at 12:25 PM   #9
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpdltm View Post
OK, so I wasn't gonna post this... but I just had to.

I feel very uncomfortable when I'm paired with a roommate (mainly due to my OCD-like symptoms), so I've always lived in a single room.
Just this year, however, I decided to live in suite style apartment.

My suitemate is an international student, and he and I are both Asians (although he's from a different country), so despite some bad racial stereotypes my friends used to tell me, I thought I would be fine living with him.

A major problem I am currently having with this guy is that he is unbelievably messy.
First of all, I don't even know how he does that, but he clogs the toilet on a regular basis. But then... he doesn't bother trying to unclog it, and just pretends as if the toilet is working perfectly fine -- he even pees in it even when the toilet doesn't flush. Like.... please....

So the first time this happened, I told him nicely not to do that. And then I had to request a plumber to unclog it.

After that, however, this just kept happening.. and every time, I had to be the one who requested a plumber every single fucking time.

It's the 7th time it's happened now (this term alone), and I just have no idea how to deal with it.
This time, I haven't said anything to him. It's been clogged for 2 days now and I'm just gonna watch how far he's willing to take this. In the meantime, of course, he keeps pretending like the toilet flushes normally and keeps peeing on top of the toilet paper that's floating around..

It's really disgusting to see the contents every morning I have to use the bathroom to take a shower.

Can someone give me some practical advise that would work in this situation?
Spread a layer of saran wrap across the toilet bowl and make it tight enough so that it is not easily noticeable that it is there.
Then just wait to hear the greasy bastards cover himself in his own piss

RyanC likes this.
Old 12-11-2013 at 02:16 AM   #10
vpdltm

Day 4 -- Still clogged and he still doesn't give a shit
This guy is really disgusting. I've never seen anyone like this before.
The fact that he's fat and eats a lot makes me even more mad for no reason
I guess this is how you become a racist and build all those negative stereotypes
Exams are giving me enough stress and I don't have enough mental capacity to deal with this shit...
Old 12-11-2013 at 02:43 AM   #11
vpdltm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
That's easy to solve, leave the toilet as it is. In a week he will notice piss and shit coming back up, possibly flooding the bathroom. That will bring him to action.
That's what I'm doing.
I took care of the last 6 clogs, and I'm pissed because maybe he thinks I'm his housemaid.
I think he's intentionally aiming for a flood to show me that is what I get for not unclogging his toilet.
Old 12-11-2013 at 03:03 AM   #12
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpdltm View Post
That's what I'm doing.
I took care of the last 6 clogs, and I'm pissed because maybe he thinks I'm his housemaid.
I think he's intentionally aiming for a flood to show me that is what I get for not unclogging his toilet.
Why the fuck aren't you telling him to unclog it?!
Old 12-11-2013 at 08:52 AM  
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 12-11-2013 at 11:01 AM   #13
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Sounds like a ... shitty... situation.
*yeahhhhhhhhhhhh*

Honestly can't tell if this poster is serious or not. If so, grow a backbone (should take a few days) and talk to him or CA. Residence is crazy pricy as it is to be voluntarily putting up with tgis kind of garbage.
AHHHHH you coulda said shit for another pun!:(
Old 12-12-2013 at 04:53 AM   #14
SilentHero-_-

Liked: 17 Times

I suggest you find a different room mate if talking to him doesn't help. It's unlikely this person will not change unless there are some serious consequences with his actions.
(01:33:13) SilentHero-_-: I’m no hero
(01:33:31) Entropy: Never was, never will be