Unless I'm nuts it would go as follows

1. Some sort of implied premise related to your quote
Therefore,
2. Everything you say is bullshit
In point #2, you forgot from now on.

Correction : "Everything you say from now on is bullshit"

And he did claim point #2 :

Quote:
Great, so from now on I have conclusive proof that everything you say is utter bullshit.
The main reason why it is Ad Hominem Tu Quoque, is the form you just showed with a little correction.
Old 05-16-2011 at 09:04 PM   #17
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
In point #2, you forgot from now on.

Correction : "Everything you from now on say is bullshit"

And he did claim point #2 :
That doesn't mean he thinks its hypocritical.

You are right in claiming ad hominem (because he is claiming you are wrong in any other claims you make because you made an incorrect claim) but its not tu quoque unless he is limiting it to a case in which your statement might be hypocritical i.e., "You claim that smoking is wrong now. In the future if you claim smoking is alright it is bullshit". However the general claim "You made an incorrect claim. Any claim you make from now on can be dismissed" is just Ad Hominem not tu quoque.
Old 05-16-2011 at 09:16 PM   #18
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
That doesn't mean he thinks its hypocritical.

You are right in claiming ad hominem (because he is claiming you are wrong in any other claims you make because you made an incorrect claim) but its not tu quoque unless he is limiting it to a case in which your statement might be hypocritical i.e., "You claim that smoking is wrong now. In the future if you claim smoking is alright it is bullshit". However the general claim "You made an incorrect claim. Any claim you make from now on can be dismissed" is just Ad Hominem not tu quoque.
It can be seen hypocritical because I said "Do not assume I was trying to mean something." meaning my claims are groundless and without purpose. His claim is that any further claims will be the same. But then I claimed otherwise (that I was trying to mean something, which is implied because I kept arguing).
Old 05-16-2011 at 09:22 PM   #19
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
It can be seen hypocritical because I said "Do not assume I was trying to mean something." meaning my claims are groundless and without purpose. His claim is that any further claims will be the same. But then I claimed otherwise (that I was trying to mean something, which is implied because I kept arguing).
So you are stating that you initially claimed that your claims are groundless and without purpose and then changed your mind and claimed that the very same claims do in fact mean something?

Unless he is referring to you specifically changing your mind about you claim that "my claims are groundless and without purpose" in reference to the specific claims you initially referenced then it is not tu quoque.

I believe it is clear from his statement that he was drawing a much more general conclusion about all arguments you make, not just a specific reversal of your claims about your own claims.
Old 05-16-2011 at 09:34 PM   #20
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
So you are stating that you initially claimed that your claims are groundless and without purpose and then changed your mind and claimed that the very same claims do in fact mean something?

Unless he is referring to you specifically changing your mind about you claim that "my claims are groundless and without purpose" in reference to the specific claims you initially referenced then it is not tu quoque.

I believe it is clear from his statement that he was drawing a much more general conclusion about all arguments you make, not just a specific reversal of your claims about your own claims.
No, he treated my statement as if I made a hypocritical claim. Why? Because I was arguing at the same time I made the statement " Do not assume I was trying to mean something."

Either way, Mowicz did commit a fallacy. This works for me.
Old 05-16-2011 at 10:35 PM   #21
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I learned a few new words today. Thanks guys ^_^

...?! likes this.
Old 05-17-2011 at 12:16 AM   #22
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

No he's right, except that I haven't committed the fallacy yet. If in the future, he had some sort of argument and I went "I dunnooooo, it's bullshit because remember what happened in my signature..." which I fully intend to do, then I will be committing this logical fallacy.

In order to avoid this inevitability, There's one thing to do: throw you on my ignore list. Let's just hope your private messages get filtered out too.
Old 05-17-2011 at 12:23 AM   #23
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
No he's right, except that I haven't committed the fallacy yet. If in the future, he had some sort of argument and I went "I dunnooooo, it's bullshit because remember what happened in my signature..." which I fully intend to do, then I will be committing this logical fallacy.

In order to avoid this inevitability, There's one thing to do: throw you on my ignore list. Let's just hope your private messages get filtered out too.
You did commit it :

Quote:
Quote:
Do not assume I was trying to mean something.
Great, so from now on I have conclusive proof that everything you say is utter bullshit.
You are claiming that I am wrong "from now on" because of that statement. Look at the highlighted words. They show strongly how you made the argument that I am wrong whatever I say.

This is your argument : Whatever I say (from now on) is utter bullshit .

And you claimed the support of your argument is the one highlighted in red. This is a logical fallacy.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-17-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2011 at 12:29 AM   #24
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
You did commit it :

You are claiming that I am wrong "from now on" because of that statement. Look at the highlighted words. They show strongly how you made the argument that I am wrong whatever I say.
No, actually, I made the argument that you're a troll and from now on I have no reason to read your posts. The evidence was simply the fact that you admitted that you meant NOTHING, and that assuming otherwise is foolish, paired with the fact that you've taken harassment to a new level when you private messaged me. This is true, no matter how blind you are to the facts, and I'll be ignoring you soon enough when I can no longer see your posts.
Old 05-17-2011 at 12:32 AM   #25
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

This is not a good way to make friends you guys

Mowicz likes this.
Old 05-17-2011 at 12:36 AM   #26
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
No, actually, I made the argument that you're a troll and from now on I have no reason to read your posts. The evidence was simply the fact that you admitted that you meant NOTHING, and that assuming otherwise is foolish, paired with the fact that you've taken harassment to a new level when you private messaged me. This is true, no matter how blind you are to the facts, and I'll be ignoring you soon enough when I can no longer see your posts.
Define troll.

I see you are running away from the facts. You cannot even counter-argue properly anymore. You use words like "mean nothing", so you won't have to respond to my claim that you did commit the fallacy.

I dissected your previous statement and showed you how it is a fallacy. Now, admit you committed it. That is all you have to do for now.

Last edited by Icecream : 05-17-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2011 at 10:18 AM   #27
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You might want to take this to PM.

Old 05-17-2011 at 10:27 AM   #28
wesiscool

Liked: 13 Times

how do you quote stuff?
Old 05-17-2011 at 11:29 AM   #29
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

It's very difficult to help a person see reason after they're set on being willingly delusional.
Old 05-17-2011 at 11:04 PM   #30
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times