MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-25-2011 at 01:25 PM   #1
NatalyaOtaku

Liked: 5 Times

Dehumidifier
Does anyone know where I can get a cheap dehumidifier?

I'm moving into a basement room and my landlord says I need one but they're all like, $160-$400 and I'm a poor student, much like the rest of you. lol

If anyone has one they need me to to take of their hands I will!

(My landlord should be buying this, not me >:[ grrrrrr)
Old 07-25-2011 at 01:34 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalyaOtaku View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a cheap dehumidifier?

I'm moving into a basement room and my landlord says I need one but they're all like, $160-$400 and I'm a poor student, much like the rest of you. lol

If anyone has one they need me to to take of their hands I will!

(My landlord should be buying this, not me >:[ grrrrrr)
Get one used? Kijiji or Craigslist? You could probably find one for under 100$.
Old 07-25-2011 at 01:39 PM   #3
NatalyaOtaku

Yea I tried there nothing so far. Ill keep checking back incase one comes up. Thanks !
Old 07-25-2011 at 01:45 PM   #4
xFLY

Liked: 13 Times

Just picked up a Honeywell Dehumidifier yesterday from Canadian Tire, on sale for $139.

However considering you need one for the basement, something less expensive would best suit your needs.

Kijiji is probably your best bet. You can find one for about $60-$100.

NatalyaOtaku says thanks to xFLY for this post.
Old 07-25-2011 at 01:49 PM   #5
xFLY

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Yea I tried there nothing so far. Ill keep checking back incase one comes up. Thanks !
Are you located in Hamilton? If so there are a bunch on Kijiji for $40, $50, and $80.

Old 07-25-2011 at 01:53 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

You could also ask your landlord to ask the current tenants if you can buy the humidifier off them...
Old 07-25-2011 at 02:04 PM   #7
NatalyaOtaku

Yepp I'm in Hamilton! and the dehumidifier that is currently in the basement belongs to my landlord and he says he needs it back for his own house -__-
Its silly because Ive been paying full rent since May but I couldnt move in because he needed the space for renovation. I didnt know about the reno until after I signed the lease
Old 07-25-2011 at 02:06 PM   #8
NatalyaOtaku

Thanks! Ill look around
Old 07-25-2011 at 02:07 PM   #9
mickey2012

Liked: 10 Times

Do you really need one?
I dont know but i live in the basement, and it's rather dry in winter when the heater is on.
Most of the school year is spent in winter anyways...
Old 07-25-2011 at 02:10 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yepp I'm in Hamilton! and the dehumidifier that is currently in the basement belongs to my landlord and he says he needs it back for his own house -__-
Its silly because Ive been paying full rent since May but I couldnt move in because he needed the space for renovation. I didnt know about the reno until after I signed the lease
You may want to talk about that to MacOffCampus. They should be able to help you with that. You shouldn't be paying rent for a space you can't live in yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2012 View Post
Do you really need one?
I dont know but i live in the basement, and it's rather dry in winter when the heater is on.
Most of the school year is spent in winter anyways...
Depends on the kind of year we have. I remember in my first year it was really hot and humid in September and also in March and April. But yeah, you don't need a humidifier in winter.

It's better to have one in the basement just in case rather than have the chance of mold.
Old 07-25-2011 at 02:22 PM   #11
NatalyaOtaku

Hmmm I'm going to find out more about this MacOffCampus you speak of! and I think I do need one, the basement has very little air circulation and its quite humid. I cant imagine what it'll be like with the shower, and kitchen down there when its being used. I think I'll put off bying one untill my landlord bugs me again..lol