MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you have a history of DEPRESSION? queenie Volunteering Opportunities 0 01-21-2012 12:40 PM
Is there anyone I can visit on campus about depression? Rakim Body & Food 2 11-08-2010 08:38 PM
Help for Social Anxiety FirstYearMac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-07-2010 02:49 AM
...Depression? AdInfinitum General Discussion 7 03-01-2010 09:43 PM

Depression and anxiety.

Old 02-25-2014 at 06:50 PM   #16
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway1 View Post
Thanks for the positive responses guys. I just phoned the SWC and was told you cannot make an appointment by phone, you just have to walk in and then have a 20 minute meeting on a first come first serve basis after which scheduling is decided. These are the times they start for anyone interested.

monday 12:30
tuesday 2:30
wednesday 12:30
thursday and friday 1:30

I'll have to go tomorrow because I have class Thurs and Friday.
What sort of appointment did you make?

This doesn't sound like a doctor's appointment.

Lois likes this.
Old 02-26-2014 at 05:56 AM   #17
kasabian
Account Locked

Liked: 1 Time

I spoke with a counselor at SWC once and it wasn't a good experience. The woman I spoke with would just dismiss everything I confessed (she actually told me it was stupid of me to have these thoughts). Her only advice to me was to write in a diary. Thanks bitch, I'll keep that in mind next time I try to kill myself.
Old 02-26-2014
kakarot
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-26-2014
kasabian
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-26-2014 at 06:20 PM   #18
WillyH

Liked: 9 Times

Ey m8 want to talk about what makes you want to kill yourself?
Email me, we could talk about feels or whatever
Old 02-26-2014 at 07:44 PM   #19
Esoremada

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasabian View Post
I spoke with a counselor at SWC once and it wasn't a good experience. The woman I spoke with would just dismiss everything I confessed (she actually told me it was stupid of me to have these thoughts). Her only advice to me was to write in a diary. Thanks bitch, I'll keep that in mind next time I try to kill myself.
Have you spoken to any other therapist since then?
Old 02-27-2014 at 01:10 AM   #20
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Don't worry bro, you are most definitely NOT ALONE.

If you want to talk to a fellow peer, anonymously and without judgement, please feel free to contact McMaster's PEER SUPPORT LINE. I used it tonight actually, and it relieved a lot of stress for me. Even though I was talking to a complete stranger, at least someone could relate and listen to some of my problems I've been experiencing. Their lines are open 7 days a week from 7pm-1am, and volunteers are there to listen, talk, and provide emotional and moral support.

905-525-9140 extension 28888

Chad likes this.
Old 03-04-2014 at 10:58 PM   #21
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

You have some great suggestions here throwaway1 from other users, some of which have gone through similar experiences. Hope your first meeting goes well this week, keep us posted on how you're doing. We care about your well being and are here to support you.
Old 03-05-2014 at 12:10 AM   #22
throwaway1

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks again for the kind words everyone.

I kept putting off starting counselling because of being busy, but I do feel way better now so an appointment doesn't seem as urgent. It could possibly because of taking a bunch of vitamin D/omega3 daily (placebo or not) and getting outside more, even just walking to class. I've got my appetite back and am able to fall sleep again... and I'm no longer randomly breaking down crying for no reason when I think about the future. Those two weeks felt VERY LONG. This thread helped a lot too, just knowing I'm not alone. I'll post back here if/when I do end up going to counselling. Hopefully this thread helps someone else like it did for me.