MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Posters on Campus resh.jyoti General Discussion 3 09-09-2010 04:03 PM
Top Posters For June 2010 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 22 07-18-2010 12:47 PM
Top Posters for May 2010 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 16 06-08-2010 10:40 AM
Printing posters/photoshop help lawleypop Computers & Tech 21 05-27-2010 04:15 PM
Top Posters Of April 2010 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 19 05-07-2010 05:38 PM

Designing Campus Posters

Old 09-28-2009 at 06:28 PM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Designing Campus Posters
Alright, so here's the deal. I love Photoshop (in case you didn't know already XD) and would ideally like to get paid for it.

I love love love designing posters and vintage/retro looking things, and just ducking around with typography.

How do you become those people who design the posters for events and things like this? I WANT THAT JOB~

(Also, I'm not expecting to get paid for it, I just think it'd be REALLY fun and it'd help expand my portfolio. ^_^)

Thanks for any info.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-28-2009 at 07:08 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Alright, so here's the deal. I love Photoshop (in case you didn't know already XD) and would ideally like to get paid for it.

I love love love designing posters and vintage/retro looking things, and just ducking around with typography.

How do you become those people who design the posters for events and things like this? I WANT THAT JOB~

(Also, I'm not expecting to get paid for it, I just think it'd be REALLY fun and it'd help expand my portfolio. ^_^)

Thanks for any info.
These are probably obvious suggestions:

If you are in a club you could always volunteer yourself to make a poster/graphics. Also, maybe you can contact local volunteer groups about doing some graphic design for them... they will probably be great full especially if their stuff is ugly.

lawleypop says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 09-28-2009 at 07:12 PM   #3
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:

Thanks for any info.
MSU Underground! Go the the MSU website jobs portal ASAP! I heard they were looking for graphic designers! Underground gets paid to design MSU posters & and other organization that needs stuff. They charge around $35 an hour! You should visit the manager and drop of a portfolio!

There also was a graphic design club If I recall correctly!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

lawleypop says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 09-28-2009 at 07:13 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
MSU Underground! Go the the MSU website jobs portal ASAP! I heard they were looking for graphic designers! Underground gets paid to design MSU posters & and other organization that needs stuff. They charge around $35 an hour! You should visit the manager and drop of a portfolio!

There also was a graphic design club If I recall correctly!
Jesus hell hole.

I need a portfolio asap. D:

Edit: By portfolio, do you mean like... printing them out? 'Cause I've never really done the whole 256 colour thing. >_<

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-28-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2009 at 09:23 PM   #5
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

As was mentioned - get involved with any club, service, society, whatever. Throughout my days, I had tons of opportunities to make posters, tshirts, you name it. I've got piles of stuff in my dresser that I can lay claim too. Almost any group you meet on campus will eventually get something done and be glad to have your help. Not everyone pays... in fact, most of them don't. You've got to be really good to get those jobs. But, all of it adds up towards your portfolio!

If you're in residence, you might also consider helping with their yearbook. That's done through the IRC. If you're really into it, you can apply to be their editor for next year and you don't need to live in res to do that. The publisher gives you decent start-up training and will pay for you to go to their plant, get training on printing processes, and more graphic design and photo editing tips. Currently, they only give you an honourarium of a $1000 and it's a lot of work with potential for a lot of grief if you're not prepared for what could come at you. But, at the end of the day, it's a great way to get experience, training, and your stuff published. There's also the marmor, which is run through the MSU. It pays significantly more and has much better equipment for you to work with. But, those jobs are also already filled. It'd definitely be something to consider for next year. I did stuff with both and could tell you more about either. You could try contacting these two and offer to volunteer to at least get your foot in the door.

There's also opps with the MSU, such as the underground, so check the job posting part of the website to see when they have stuff up.

Do you just use photoshop or do you also use illustrator and other stuff meant for graphics? Because if you're into the photoshop end of things instead of graphic design stuff and would rather work with photography, I'd recommend the marmor, checking out the Sil, and contacting the Mac Photography Club. Photoshop is handy for some graphic work but is more limiting compared to their other software.

To brush up your skills, check out youtube (seriously)! It has tons of great tutorials on pretty much everything you could want in adobe software. I'm pretty much self-taught on a lot of techniques and was able to successfuly write exams for my college program on using photoshop just by doing that - and it saved me money on not taking the classes so YAAAY!!

Apparently, there's a place on campus that prints poster-sized artwork for $1 a copy. Im waiting for my friend to tell me where he did this. That'd be an excellent way to get a portfolio printed for cheap! (just put everything on one sheet, cut it up, paste it prettily in a book, yay!)

Last edited by temara.brown : 09-28-2009 at 09:28 PM.

lawleypop says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 09-28-2009 at 09:57 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
As was mentioned - get involved with any club, service, society, whatever. Throughout my days, I had tons of opportunities to make posters, tshirts, you name it. I've got piles of stuff in my dresser that I can lay claim too. Almost any group you meet on campus will eventually get something done and be glad to have your help. Not everyone pays... in fact, most of them don't. You've got to be really good to get those jobs. But, all of it adds up towards your portfolio!

If you're in residence, you might also consider helping with their yearbook. That's done through the IRC. If you're really into it, you can apply to be their editor for next year and you don't need to live in res to do that. The publisher gives you decent start-up training and will pay for you to go to their plant, get training on printing processes, and more graphic design and photo editing tips. Currently, they only give you an honourarium of a $1000 and it's a lot of work with potential for a lot of grief if you're not prepared for what could come at you. But, at the end of the day, it's a great way to get experience, training, and your stuff published. There's also the marmor, which is run through the MSU. It pays significantly more and has much better equipment for you to work with. But, those jobs are also already filled. It'd definitely be something to consider for next year. I did stuff with both and could tell you more about either. You could try contacting these two and offer to volunteer to at least get your foot in the door.

There's also opps with the MSU, such as the underground, so check the job posting part of the website to see when they have stuff up.

Do you just use photoshop or do you also use illustrator and other stuff meant for graphics? Because if you're into the photoshop end of things instead of graphic design stuff and would rather work with photography, I'd recommend the marmor, checking out the Sil, and contacting the Mac Photography Club. Photoshop is handy for some graphic work but is more limiting compared to their other software.

To brush up your skills, check out youtube (seriously)! It has tons of great tutorials on pretty much everything you could want in adobe software. I'm pretty much self-taught on a lot of techniques and was able to successfuly write exams for my college program on using photoshop just by doing that - and it saved me money on not taking the classes so YAAAY!!

Apparently, there's a place on campus that prints poster-sized artwork for $1 a copy. Im waiting for my friend to tell me where he did this. That'd be an excellent way to get a portfolio printed for cheap! (just put everything on one sheet, cut it up, paste it prettily in a book, yay!)
Wow, thanks for all the info.

I'm into photoshop, I kinda do anything I can with it. I've started to use Illustrator for some lineart stuff, but I'm kinda limited since I'm not too good at drawing to begin with. I dunno, I don't really have a main skill set, I just dabble. But when I spend a lot of time on something, I can normally make something pretty sick. I'm trying to find some stuff that I've made to show, but they've all got my site name on it which I don't wanna give out.

Here's some stuff I just made for fun:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...7-1280x800.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...isre/wolf2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../cherilogo.gif (not overly good or anything, was just trying something)

I like manipulating the colours of images and stuff, but they're all PSD files and don't feel like re-saving them. XD

Old 09-28-2009 at 10:17 PM   #7
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Purty!

Seriously check out youtube for tutorials hahaha! mad love for them.
Old 09-28-2009 at 10:21 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
Purty!

Seriously check out youtube for tutorials hahaha! mad love for them.
Any recommendations? I normally watch people turning fat people into skinny people (which I've tried with my own body, LOL. It works quite well!) and like, "digital beauty" videos.

I've literally got a folder of like, 120+ websites that link to tutorials, brushes, new fonts, inspiration, etc.

I love this stuff.

Old 09-28-2009 at 10:28 PM   #9
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Hahaha I've totally done the "make yourself skinny" ones. It's so easy to do that it's scary.

I like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/tutvid and he covers a variety of different techniques and programs, with varying degrees of understanding (ie basic vs. expert).

I'm looking around to try and find my other favourites.. I always did more of the photo editing than graphics but I'll post what I've dug up
Old 09-29-2009 at 12:30 AM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

deviant art also has good tutorials
do you use a tablet? it can be helpful for digital painting if you find mouse awkward
Old 09-29-2009 at 06:20 AM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
deviant art also has good tutorials
do you use a tablet? it can be helpful for digital painting if you find mouse awkward
Don't have one. Always wanted one, but it's a lot of money. And like I said, I can't draw too well, heh. I don't know how much use I'd get out of it.

(I also don't even have a mouse, lol!)

Old 09-29-2009 at 12:24 PM   #12
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

You're pretty good with PS, I dabbled in it a few years back but I got bored and unmotivated before I could actually get good. I love your work though.

I wonder if I could get you to make me a wallpaper for my laptop >_<
Old 09-29-2009 at 12:38 PM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
You're pretty good with PS, I dabbled in it a few years back but I got bored and unmotivated before I could actually get good. I love your work though.

I wonder if I could get you to make me a wallpaper for my laptop >_<
Wow, this actually made me smile! Huge ego booost. <3

And yea. Screen resolution? Pictures/themes/inspiration?!

Omg I'm excited.

Old 09-29-2009 at 11:09 PM   #14
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Wow, this actually made me smile! Huge ego booost. <3

And yea. Screen resolution? Pictures/themes/inspiration?!

Omg I'm excited.
Well I really like Abstract art, this is what I'm using now (pic from last year):

So anything abstract at 1440x900 res, I'd just like to see what else you're capable of. You're honestly making me want to take up Photoshop again, keep it up.
Old 09-30-2009 at 07:11 AM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

If you want to get paid for photo shooping, the admins on DC++ are trying to get someone to make a good poster around campus for it and are willing to pay whoever makes it $10!