Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP Screw-up waldo92 Financial Aid 2 09-18-2010 01:47 PM

Did I Really Screw Up?

Old 06-17-2010 at 03:55 PM   #1
SC54

Liked: 0 Times

Did I Really Screw Up?
So this is my second year at Mac, and the only program I was eligible for was philosophy (I applied for several other English programs), so I took it. I thought that I could still take English courses, as I want to get into honors English at some point in time at mac.

I tried to take a few 6 unit English courses, each of them I failed to meet the requisite. Now I have no idea what to do... Am I stuck in Philosophy now? Did my first year basically do nothing for my wish to get into honors English?

Im so worried right now, any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2010 at 04:00 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC54 View Post
So this is my second year at Mac, and the only program I was eligible for was philosophy (I applied for several other English programs), so I took it. I thought that I could still take English courses, as I want to get into honors English at some point in time at mac.

I tried to take a few 6 unit English courses, each of them I failed to meet the requisite. Now I have no idea what to do... Am I stuck in Philosophy now? Did my first year basically do nothing for my wish to get into honors English?

Im so worried right now, any help would be appreciated.
Try to ask for a waiver form the academic advisors of the english department. Explain your situation to them.
Old 06-17-2010 at 04:00 PM   #3
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

I'm assuming you took English courses in first year and the only reason why you failed to meet the prereqs was that you're not in the program itself. If that's the case, you have to talk to your academic advisor (ask them whether it's possible to shadow the course without having to take the mentioned 6 units courses or if you can get permission to take those courses).

I wish you luck!
Old 06-17-2010 at 04:37 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I would contact an academic advisor in your faculty as soon as possible. Explain your situation to them and see if they can waive the pre-reqs for the course(s) so you can shadow the program.
Old 06-17-2010 at 04:45 PM   #5
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Yeah you screwed up big time...
Old 06-17-2010 at 04:49 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prodigy View Post
That's not necessary and isn't helpful at all... But the OP should have really checked to see if they met all the requirements before applying to programs. But no one really does that.

@OP: Definitively go talk to an academic advisor. Ask if you can transfer into a program that will let you take the courses.
Old 06-17-2010 at 04:53 PM   #7
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
...the OP should have really checked to see if they met all the requirements before applying to programs. But no one really does that.
Lol... what? But yeah, go talk to an academic adviser, they can be quite helpful in certain situations.

Old 06-17-2010 at 05:09 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Student View Post
Lol... what? But yeah, go talk to an academic adviser, they can be quite helpful in certain situations.
I wouldn't say more than 5-10% of students are set on 1 program and that if they don't get into it they have back-up programs that allow them to shadow that 1 program.

I actually just re-read what I said and I see that I wasn't being very specific. Sorry about that.
Old 06-17-2010 at 05:14 PM   #9
lux

Liked: 318 Times

gg
Old 06-17-2010 at 05:28 PM   #10
SC54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prodigy View Post
Good to know my thousands of dollars went towards nothing, thanks for the encouraging words too.

Everyone else thank you for actually helping me out. I actually can't even fill up my schedule, what courses can I take within the philosophy department?
Old 06-17-2010 at 05:30 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Good to know my thousands of dollars went towards nothing, thanks for the encouraging words too.

Everyone else thank you for actually helping me out. I actually can't even fill up my schedule, what courses can I take within the philosophy department?
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1832.html

Those are all the courses offered by the philosophy department.
Old 06-17-2010 at 05:32 PM   #12
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

There are some English courses that don't require registration in English - I'd say take those as much as you can, it would help your case if you wanted to convinced them to waiver you if you showed interest in English courses.
Old 06-17-2010 at 05:40 PM   #13
SC54

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
There are some English courses that don't require registration in English - I'd say take those as much as you can, it would help your case if you wanted to convinced them to waiver you if you showed interest in English courses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1832.html

Those are all the courses offered by the philosophy department.
Thank you both very much for the help, I'm good to go now. See you guys in September even though you'll have no idea who I am.
Old 06-17-2010 at 07:23 PM   #14
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Thank you both very much for the help, I'm good to go now. See you guys in September even though you'll have no idea who I am.
Don't worry, your at the same university. Even if you take an extra year or two,, it doesn't matter in the end. You'll get where you want to be, you're obviously determined. Good Luck!