MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Degree Help LindseyRose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-15-2012 04:59 PM
Second degree zepphira First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 04-11-2012 02:09 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM

What did you do with your Biochemistry Degree?

Old 05-17-2013 at 01:34 AM   #1
theboywho2

Liked: 4 Times

What did you do with your Biochemistry Degree?
I'm planning on doing biochem and I am curious what did you with your degree do or are planning to do with it Were you able to find employment at some place relevant ( i.e not low skilled retail) upon graduation?
Old 05-17-2013 at 02:01 AM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

my friend got a job right after he finished his degree at some factory that makes some kind of drugs. he is in charge of something over there, but is in good position right after a 4 year undergrad. he said he got the job because he worked in a factory for 9 straight years and not because of his biochem degree. lol

MCHEDDENITE likes this.
Old 05-17-2013 at 05:12 AM   #3
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

All pure-science degrees are worthless unless you have really high marks upon graduation and can get into a professional program like dentistry, medicine, etc.

My suggestion is that if you want to work in a lab, go for MLT qualifications. UOIT offers a great degree/diploma program. There's also other schools that offer this.
Old 05-17-2013 at 01:01 PM   #4
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

All pure science degrees are not worthless unless you have high grades, it depends on the program and the field you are planning on going into. I can't speak for Biochem but in regards to Physics, grad schools require A- or B's normally for admittance to their Master's Programs while going straight into PhD requires an A or A+ (as well as research experience of course). You can choose to look for a job with your degree or work towards a masters/PhD and look for a job after that.

Your best bet is talk to alumni from your program, upper years in it and academic advisers as well as the faculty it self and hear from them. Odds of finding Biochem alumni on this forum are probably not that great.

Cheers and have a great summer
Old 05-17-2013 at 04:33 PM   #5
PAstudent

Liked: 2 Times

I didn't do a biochemistry degree, but a biology one and am in the Physician Assistant Medicine program at McMaster - another career option that you can look into.

Last edited by PAstudent : 05-17-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2013 at 07:44 PM   #6
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating7 / 1Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by kotton.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 05-17-2013 at 07:58 PM   #7
theboywho2

Liked: 4 Times

^That was a very dick comment
Old 05-23-2013 at 12:56 PM   #8
HogBrog

Liked: 0 Times

I have not actually graduated yet, but will be going into my 5th year of teh Biochem program (I'm in Coop). Most of the people that graduated this year decided to do a Master's at Mac or UoT. There were the odd ones that got jobs as research assistants or lab technicians at different universities but that was definitely rare. What I would recommend is to talk to an advisor, the career/coop office, or apply for the coop program. With coop you can see some of the jobs that are out there by actually working for two 8 month terms. It really helps you to decide where you want to go in life, plus you get the experience to put on a resume (the money also helps).
Old 05-23-2013 at 07:28 PM   #9
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywho2 View Post
I'm planning on doing biochem and I am curious what did you with your degree do or are planning to do with it Were you able to find employment at some place relevant ( i.e not low skilled retail) upon graduation?
Dr. Macdonald arranged something like a "talk" last term during a BIOCHEM 3D03 lecture where she had two of her previous students show up and talk about their experiences straight out of undergraduate core Biochemistry. The gist of it is that there are plenty of opportunities out there and you just need to send out wave after wave of resumes and not really mind rejection. IIRC, the two ladies she invited are now working in some pharma company and applying general Science concepts through secondary research. I don't really remember the details, sorry.

You could contact (via e-mail) or visit Dr. Macdonald for more information.