MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-14-2009 at 08:57 PM   #1
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Divacup!
DISCLAIMER!!
Ok, before I start I want to point something out. I'm going to be addressing some things people would consider nasty, and "not nice" to talk about, so if youre a guy, or someone who thinks talking about bodily functions everyone has is gross, you might not want to read it....

Ok? Alright, if you insist....

Not many people want to just up and talk about periods, but on TV every other commercial talks about how your tampons can feel this great, and ours is better than theirs.... so I figure its ok! Hooray! After all, you can stop reading right now if you want, now that you know what I'm going to talk about.

I'm going to talk about the DivaCup! It's a re-usable method for menstruation that creates NO waste! OK, I'm going to talk about the advantages before you get grossed out, as most girls do when they first hear about this...

- You don't have to be part of the media's obsession with planned obsolescence! This baby lasts up to TEN years!

You can choose:
30 to 40 YEARS of periods: 1 pack of tampons/pads (20 pack) per period = 7000-9000 tampons/pads IN THE GARBAGE PER PERSON.
OR
4-5 Diva cups = 4-5 small silicone cups and their packaging.

You can choose:
30 to 40 YEARS of periods: 1 pack of tampons/pads per period = $120/year, $4000 TOTAL
OR
4-5 Diva cups = $200 TOTAL

You can choose:
Changing your tampon every 4-8 hours or less
OR
Emptying your DivaCup every 12-24 hours

I think the advantages outweigh the setbacks by far. (What setbacks?)

Basically, the only disadvantage I have heard from anyone is that initially they think it's a gross idea. I personally feel this method is much LESS gross, as it's clean silicone which you clean every time, and boil every week, and there's no nasty bleaches and fibers going into you, drying your natural fluids out and possibly causing serious disease! Also, if anything was wrong in that department, you would know right away because you can see when you empty it what's going on down there. One more thing - DivaCup's website states that switching is as significant as switching from plastic to canvas bags.

Please, please check this out ladies - you'll hear from anyone who uses it it's the best choice in female health they've EVER made!!

You can buy them at Vital Planet Health Shop, just around the corner from TCBY in Westdale!

Here's the link for DivaCup: http://www.divacup.com/

There's basically NO advertising for this (at least that I've seen), so if you like it - GET THE WORD OUT! Help save the planet

(Also! If you're not completely ready to take the DivaCup plunge, may I suggest OB tampons? They use SO much less waste!)

...ok I'm done now

florencem., salad13, temara.brown, wendy0519 all say thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:05 PM   #2
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Not gross Jackie...it's reality, and people need to respect each other's "approaches" to things
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:05 PM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Pfft.. people who get queasy about menstruation.. that's kind of lame.

I've heard about the Diva cup before and I think it sounds like a great product. Need to get around to getting one soon.. nice post

PS have you used Diva cup before? and is it fine to exercise with it..? (like it won't slip out..)

Last edited by sinthusized : 07-14-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:09 PM   #4
micadjems
Awesome Member

I have one and have been using it for about a year now

You completely don't even feel like you have it in, and it stays in!! No worries (Stays better than tampons IMO - it's made to fit your insides)

sinthusized says thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:22 PM   #5
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

You learn something new everyday haha.
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:25 PM   #6
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
You learn something new everyday haha.
And might I say, that it is important stuff for you to know...seriously
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:27 PM   #7
micadjems
Awesome Member

Best Emoticons Ever.

And yes! Very awesome information!!! Pass it on!!!
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:34 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Ooh I've actually heard about this before, but didn't find too much information on it.. Hmm, the transition might be hard though. But it's great to hear from someone who's actually bought it .. Hmm, I'll look more into it. Thanks! =)

& LOL @ Greg's comment.. It's good general knowledge
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:45 PM   #9
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
the transition might be hard though.P
It takes a few times to figure out the best way for you to insert it, but after that its super easy.

Other than that - no transition! You just start using it

Just ask or PM me if you have any other questions, i'll be happy to answer
Old 07-14-2009 at 09:53 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Ah, I've heard so much about it, but I've never actually seen one in real life =p
Old 07-14-2009 at 11:52 PM   #11
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Okay, since Danielle and I are the sick freaks of nature that we are, we made up a song about the Diva Cup, it involves a lady living in a cup... a diva cup!

Yeah I know, I told you, sick freaks.

Two thumbs up to the diva cup and anyone brave enough to use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Ah, I've heard so much about it, but I've never actually seen one in real life =p

The health store in Westdale by the laundry mat and TCBY sells them, go on, check it out, I dare you!

lorend says thanks to kokosas for this post.

lorend likes this.
Old 07-14-2009 at 11:58 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Haha. The whole song thing is so funny.. in a weird/sick-ish way XD.. but still creative
Old 07-14-2009 at 11:59 PM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Okay, since Danielle and I are the sick freaks of nature that we are, we made up a song about the Diva Cup, it involves a lady living in a cup... a diva cup!

Yeah I know, I told you, sick freaks.

Two thumbs up to the diva cup and anyone brave enough to use it!

The health store in Westdale by the laundry mat and TCBY sells them, go on, check it out, I dare you!
lol that sounds cute... mp3 file please?
Old 07-15-2009 at 12:59 AM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

That would involve recording.

So noooo

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-15-2009 at 01:01 AM   #15
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Oddly enough, the name scares me more than what the product actually does.
I simply can't come to terms with that name.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences